Got my DJI Fatom 2 Vision ) upgrades?

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just got one of my own. Never done FPV before. Tried it yesterday to get used to controls etc. Pretty fun!
However, I already want to get it upgraded for an extended range. I been researching online and found Horizon antennas from UK.

I know there must be something here in US that I can buy and mod as efficient if not better? Can you please give me some heads up on this?
Going through forum now, so much different info - I am sinking lol

What other common upgrades would you recommend me?

Thank you!

ps attached a pic of my uav )) already has 2 test flights ))

Attachments

• phantom-top.JPG
    phantom-top.JPG
    805.3 KB · Views: 621
Gilbert Gomes said:
Only two flights and looking to extend range.

Que "flyaway" complaint thread in 3,2,1...

+1

Just get one of the Wifi booster apps for now. It will take you 2k+ feet distance away. It's a complete game changer when you can't even see your quad anymore.

Try several flights with that and if that's not enough distance for you, then look into FPVLR antenna upgrades.

What's wrong with that? ;) Just fyi I am being very cautious with it, plus quite aware of it may malfunction and fly away due to known/unknown reasons.
I am an engineer by trade, when I got it I already knew that I will be doing upgrades to it because stock specs are not what I wanted ultimately.

DJI happened to be first in my FPV experiments ) Again, I am being very careful in the beginning. Before I get used to unit and controls it will not go ANYWHERE far!

Thanks for heads up Stile2112!
Yes, completely agree with you. When you do not see it - it's a completely different experience. I am not ready for it. However, I want to get my home work done in a mean time and understand what I can ultimately get out of the unit eventually. I might be bit impatient haha.

orion3 said:
Hi Guys

Just got one of my own. Never done FPV before. Tried it yesterday to get used to controls etc. Pretty fun!
However, I already want to get it upgraded for an extended range. I been researching online and found Horizon antennas from UK.

I know there must be something here in US that I can buy and mod as efficient if not better?
Google FPVLR, or find him here in the forum.

Thanks for feedback!
Btw Very resourceful forum. I just read about NAZA mode. I am in process of switching my RC into NAZA. It's seems to be a must even I only did 2 flights ))

Go to FPVLR.COM and Talk to Tony. He will guide you in the right direction. He has excellent ideas, products, and his customer service is 2nd to NONE.

DOM

Thank you definitely going to check it out!

Did my second 2 flights, no casualties ))

Looks like my unit tilts to the right a bit all the time. I did compass calibration procedure couple of time OK.
Could be 10-15 mile winds were the problems. I was in a park near an ocean...

I switched into NAZA mode on RC. However, my S2 Home Lock Mode would not work. Or Course Lock either. I wanted to test them.

S1 and RTH, ATT modes worked OK. Strange...

My RTH test landing almost ended up kissing a tree even though my spot was like 20 feet away and I had rapid green, recoded coordinates and 11 sats on.

Here's my raw footage if someone wants to have a laugh )) http://youtu.be/yLr0cNE9WRY

orion3 said:
I switched into NAZA mode on RC. However, my S2 Home Lock Mode would not work. Or Course Lock either. I wanted to test them.

Connect your Phantom back to the Assistant, return to the IOC section, and make sure you have checked the little box to enable IOC. It is unchecked by default.

When your in Assistant software doing what Dirty bird suggest.... also make sure you set the 3rd option of S2 to failsafe and NOT manual

Not really an upgrade to the quad per se but I would invest in a good case. I like my hardshell waterproof/dustproof case. Works great for carry-on luggage as well. Some have laser/waterjet cutouts for quad, controller, batteries, etc. Another "upgrade" I got was a sticker set for the remote and the drone. This allows you to label the remote and a few IF FOUND, PLEASE CALL stickers.

orion3 said:
Could be 10-15 mile winds were the problems. I was in a park near an ocean...

My RTH test landing almost ended up kissing a tree even though my spot was like 20 feet away
Negative on the wind. Your Phantom can do approx 30 mph in still air. It should have almost no impact except for speed.

GPS precision is commonly +/- 2 metres and sometimes a bit more.
Factor this in when planning and have a good clear area for home point.
You have to consider what obstacles may be between your Phantom and home point if it wants to come home on auto.

Dirty Bird said:
Connect your Phantom back to the Assistant, return to the IOC section, and make sure you have checked the little box to enable IOC. It is unchecked by default.

Thanks Dirty Bird, it was exactly the issue. Checked off now.

Justin, you meant S1 (3rd option to failsafe) probably. If so, yes I did it per manual on getting into NAZA mode.

Meta4 said:
Negative on the wind. Your Phantom can do approx 30 mph in still air. It should have almost no impact except for speed.
GPS precision is commonly +/- 2 metres and sometimes a bit more.
Factor this in when planning and have a good clear area for home point.
You have to consider what obstacles may be between your Phantom and home point if it wants to come home on auto.

Very strange then. Because it was trying to land on the home point, but for some reason it kept going to a side. Like a wind was blowing it off it almost looked like and it did land near a tree like 10-12 meters from the point.

I was no way! Not on the first home landing lol

Guys,

Any idea why the unit when hovering looked like it's a bit tilted to a side? So, it kinda looks on the recording like it's not perfectly straight?

Could it be at all due to me launching it off the grass and not a flat surface?

Thanks

Yip sorry got confused... You are right S1 (the one on the right) should be set to failsafe... Sounds like you've done this :)

orion3 said:
Dirty Bird said:

Thanks Dirty Bird, it was exactly the issue. Checked off now.

Justin, you meant S1 (3rd option to failsafe) probably. If so, yes I did it per manual on getting into NAZA mode.

orion3 said:
Guys,

Any idea why the unit when hovering looked like it's a bit tilted to a side? So, it kinda looks on the recording like it's not perfectly straight?

Could it be at all due to me launching it off the grass and not a flat surface?

Thanks

no it needs calibrating.

plug into computer and assistant software run advanced IMU calibration under tools.

Thanks, did IMU calibration

but also

I have Channel Monitor showing under VIEW
that channel A is -3. I did calibrate the sticks.
Now it it jumps from 0 to -2 when i look at it.

Maybe it's a problem?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic