Got motor problem, need some input.....

Update.
All is well. Calibrated the bird in the house...I know, that's a no no. Checked for any errors with go app. None.
Had to activate the bird again with DJI and all the motors started up and ran fine. Tomorrow I will put the props back on and do a test flight in the cornfield and see ow she does.
The bird has 1.4 on it. Think I am gonna leave it for now.

Next question. Does anyone repair these boards? If not, I am going to remove the sd card from it. Probably could use it for future video.

Needless to say, I am drinking celebratory beer(s) by the kegerator. The only item I own that I like better than my drone...lol

Update.
All is well. Calibrated the bird in the house...I know, that's a no no. Checked for any errors with go app. None.
Had to activate the bird again with DJI and all the motors started up and ran fine. Tomorrow I will put the props back on and do a test flight in the cornfield and see ow she does.
The bird has 1.4 on it. Think I am gonna leave it for now.

Next question. Does anyone repair these boards? If not, I am going to remove the sd card from it. Probably could use it for future video.

Needless to say, I am drinking celebratory beer(s) by the kegerator. The only item I own that I like better than my drone...lol

A burnt ESC are just dead Mosfets. If you know what the acronym SMD stands for then you should be able to remove and solder replacement mosfets. It's rare that mosfets get replaced because ESCs are quite cheap. But since the P3/P4 have integrated ESC's, I think there will be a how-to on youtube soon.

Keep it at 1.4.6!!!

Checked out the bird in flight. All is well.
The firmware that is on the bird currently is 1.2.4
It is asking to upgrade to 1.5
That will probably be the highest I will go on this. If my son wants to go higher he can do it.

Thanks everyone for you help and input. It was very much appreciated.

My eyes are not good enough to replace the MOSFETs on the board. Those things are really really really tiny. Did I mention that they are really tiny?
I have a buddy of mine who is much younger and has better eyes is going to replace the parts.
I will test it in mine and see if all goes good. If it does, then I will have a spare board.

Mike

Reactions: dirkclod
Mike,

I've been following your adventure and I'm impressed with the competent manner in which you managed to diagnose and solve the problem. Ordinarily I would not have even considered trying, but having followed how you went about it was encouraging.

I hope I never have such a problem. But if I do, having followed this thread I probably won't be as intimidated by it.

Best to you,

Mike

Reactions: dirkclod
In reality though, it was the people on this site that really did the diagnosis. I just reported the symptoms. Without the help of the fine people here, I would have never tried to fix it. It's not really as hard to do the work as it sounds. Just that I am getting older and the old eyesight ain't what it used to be. But I managed to do the soldering without too much profanity...lol.

I am glad that you were able to gain something from this. This is why I posted the updates as I went along. This is the way it all should all be done so that others can glean the information they need to gain the confidence to maybe make their own repairs and save themselves a bit of money. Not to mention the pride in be able to "do it myself". Just isn't enough of that around anymore.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to helping me fix this thing. You guys are the best.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20