Got motor problem, need some input.....

Reaction score
My son dropped off his P3 Standard by my house last week. Been working on an outage and didn't have time to get into it. He said that one of the motors was not running right. The motor won't accelerate at all it just keeps slowly turning sort of on-off-on-off type of movement like a stepper motor going slow.

I thought that maybe he had a bad motor, so I changed the motor tonight. I have gotten exactly the same results. Do you think it may be the main board that will need to be replaced? I really don't think that it is still in warrantee, and for that matter for the cost of a standard these days should I even try to repair it?

Hate to spend the money on a new board and it be something else. You guys got any ideas?
Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance guys.

Mike

If you changed the motor and getting the same results, that's a failed ESC or mainboard issue. I wouldn't bother with warranty if you don't have the purchase receipt required for warranty repair and your warranty would be voided anyways since you made an unauthorized repair on it.
You can pick up a new standard for around $500. I have found new mainboards for sale for $200. DJI will also make the repair outside of warranty but they will charge you for shipping / new board / labor. If you don't want to go through the process of putting in a new board, go for a new drone. But if you can replace it, only $200.
If you go the route of a new board, make sure you are buying the phantom 3 standard board. The standard is different from the professional/advanced boards.

Reactions: 66Fury
That's a great deal ryanax found. I have never seen the boards under $200. May be a good idea to buy it now if you want to go with a new board.

I cant get the link to work.

That'll do.
I am ordering it tonight.
That is the right one?

Reactions: dirkclod
Yep that looks like the right one.

Just ordered it.
Should be here on the 4th.
Thanks so much for your help folks.
I hope this is the problem. Got a lot of soldering to do.
These old eyes cant take much of this stuff...lol

Again, thanks.
This is why this is the BEST place to go.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Glad we could help!
Let us know how things work out

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No problem, hope it fixes it. Not sure why my link didn't work for you.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

No problem, hope it fixes it. Not sure why my link didn't work for you.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
Funny, I just tried it again and it worked fine.
Sometimes I wonder, are we working the computer or is the computer working us?
LOL
Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Mike

Got the new board on friday. Still waiting to put it in.
I have a couple of questions?
1. I will have to re-sync the remote with the new board installed on the bird correct?
2. I am not sure what firmware will be on this new board. I am wondering if I should even upgrade the firmware after the install?

What do you guys think?

Mike

I am pretty certain that you will need to resync the controller, but that is a simple process.
If you can check the current firmware version installed, if it is not one of the few recent versions, I would upgrade the firmware.

I would think about upgrading to the latest Mike if I could . You've been reading about it . I don't have it .
What firmware is it on now ..like if it's on the latest then no matter I guess but personally I hold back 1 now .
Didn't used to but learned my lesson on that with my P2 .
JMO

I would think about upgrading to the latest Mike if I could . You've been reading about it . I don't have it .
What firmware is it on now ..like if it's on the latest then no matter I guess but personally I hold back 1 now .
Didn't used to but learned my lesson on that with my P2 .
JMO
Yeah, I don't know yet. I haven't installed the board. Planning on doing that tomorrow night. With all the problems with the last update I think I will just bring it up to the one just before. I will have to wait and see whats on it when I get it installed.
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is always helpful.

Mike

Reactions: dirkclod
Update.
Finally got the board installed last night. My eyes hurt.
Linked the remote to the new board.
Camera gimble works OK.

I have not done anything else yet. Lights say I need to calibrate the compass.
I did try to start the motors before I quit for the night. Motors did not start.
I am going to use the GO app tonight and see if I am getting any errors and to see what the firmware version is.
The old firmware is still on the micro-disk from before.
Think I should be able to just update it from that?

I am hoping that the motors did not start because I need to do some calibrations.....I hope.
Otherwise, i wasted some money. Because I would have gone from three working motors to no working motors...lol
Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated.

My game plan is to connect the bird to the GO app and go through all of the calibrations.
Try to rectify any errors that I get.
Then try to fire up the bird without the props.
I will update you guyus when I finish it tonight.

Mike

If you are getting the light pattern that the compass needs calibration and you are not getting the normal pattern of slow green or yellow flash, then that's why it will not start.

Like I said, I will be a calibratin' fool tonight....lol
And....
If it works, I will be a celebratin" fool when I start tapping that kegarator.....lol

Reactions: Squirrel!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20