Got a shield today.

I have a K1 also, and from what I have read, the amper app is not accurate because the tablet does not have any way to monitor the charge current (no hardware inside).
I bought a USB power meter and with a 2 amp charger and a good cable, i can charge at the 2 amp rate and it takes about 1 hour from 60-100%.
I would not trust the app, but 24 hours is WAY too long!
The app seems to be working. It shows it ramping up and down. The correct voltage and percentage.

That is strange... there isn't any hardware in the K1 for the app to use. It must be calculated then?
Later, I am going to use my USB power meter and compare it to what the app is indicating.

That is strange... there isn't any hardware in the K1 for the app to use. It must be calculated then?
Later, I am going to use my USB power meter and compare it to what the app is indicating.
Let me know how it compares.
There was a setting for certain devices if the app was not measuring, but it is not there for the shield, it just works.

+1, I agree, I've been in touch with Nvidia quite a lot recently and it IS because they are so popular they have almost run out of stock, I had a small problem with my shield K1 got a RMA, as soon as they received it I got a new one withing 48 hours from the NL.
by the way if you get one please update to Marshmallow 6.0.1 then the patch that takes it to 6.0.2, now when I charge it to 100%, switch off, after 3 days switch it back on and it's still at 100%, before with lollipop the battery would run down from 100% to 75% in a matter of hours, and the compass had a lot to be desired but after the update all ok.
make sure you do a 3D compass calibration, after that you'll find the compass works 100%
Hi, how does one calibrate the compass?

+1, I agree, I've been in touch with Nvidia quite a lot recently and it IS because they are so popular they have almost run out of stock, I had a small problem with my shield K1 got a RMA, as soon as they received it I got a new one withing 48 hours from the NL.
by the way if you get one please update to Marshmallow 6.0.1 then the patch that takes it to 6.0.2, now when I charge it to 100%, switch off, after 3 days switch it back on and it's still at 100%, before with lollipop the battery would run down from 100% to 75% in a matter of hours, and the compass had a lot to be desired but after the update all ok.
make sure you do a 3D compass calibration, after that you'll find the compass works 100%
Production has been halted. The question is why.

I can't believe so many here are talking so highly of the crap K1 tablet...Mine is on latest Android Version 6.0.1 and the shield tablet software version is 1.3 and the time it took me to type this my shields battery went down 2% and no matter how many times I calibrate the compass with the "Field Compass" App. the compass will always be junk...It may work for 2 min then back to crap...Is NVIDIA here trying to pump their tablet and sell out their stock? "Production has halted", Oh I can only wonder why...

Last edited:
B&H had the availability of it being in stock early August, but they keep updating the availability, and now it's back to Sept 26! Draw your own conclusions!

I would also like a video description of how to do the proper compass calibration on K1 with Field Comass app. It says I need to move it in figure of 8 to calibrate but I'm not quite sure how that should be done. Should I hold tablet horizontal? Vertical? Rotate on all axis or just two? Since I have no idea how to properly do it it takes quite some time for FC to accept my calibration while I hope no one is watching me moving my tablet in air like a complete idiot. Doing a Phantom calibration dance was enough to have a village idiot stamp on my forehead.

I don't like my K1. I can barely see it in any kind of daylight, even with a anti glare cover and a sun shield/hood.
I only use it at night. Which is rare. I wish I had never bought it.
That and the battery is crap. It doesn't last very long and takes all day to charge. My iPad charges ten times faster.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't like my K1. I can barely see it in any kind of daylight, even with a anti glare cover and a sun shield/hood.
I only use it at night. Which is rare. I wish I had never bought it.
That and the battery is crap. It doesn't last very long and takes all day to charge. My iPad charges ten times faster.

K1 display is not as bright as displays on newer iDevices but with antiglare and maximum brightness selected it is usable if you don't have direct sun shining on it. And your battery/device is broken. RMA it. I use 2.1A iPad charger to charge my K1 and it takes 2 hours to charge from 0 to 100%. I can use it for whole day of flying (~3 hours of air time) with no need to charge again.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I would also like a video description of how to do the proper compass calibration on K1 with Field Comass app. It says I need to move it in figure of 8 to calibrate but I'm not quite sure how that should be done. Should I hold tablet horizontal? Vertical? Rotate on all axis or just two? Since I have no idea how to properly do it it takes quite some time for FC to accept my calibration while I hope no one is watching me moving my tablet in air like a complete idiot. Doing a Phantom calibration dance was enough to have a village idiot stamp on my forehead.

Ha Ha! If I saw someone doing what I was doing I would be like wtf is that idiot doing! So your not alone...I bet the guy who made the app was thinking "Hey how can I confuse everyone"...Oh I know I'll put a figure 8 on the app and see what people do...Maybe I can make them drop their tablets and look like idiots in the process...

The only way it has ever worked for me was to hold horizontal and go forward away from my body and when I reach out as far as I can go I spin it around counterclockwise pretty much balancing it on my finger tips, while coming back towards me and when it was near me spin it clockwise and keep repeating this till the magnetic interference thing goes away...This may not be the correct way but it was my way...The only way the mag interference thing would ever go away is I had to do this when I first turn the tablet on and if I take too long to get to the app it didn't work...Even after this It would always be off by at least a few degrees, unstable and not worth using...

I assume its the same as with my (Chinese P9000) phone. I needed to hold it with the top of the phone pointing to the sky, then do a few figure 8s, so it looks like an 8 from your vantage, and rather quickly before the calibration succeeded. It looks weird, and you get no feedback, other than the info I got from the hidden MTK engineering menu where the compass data changed from "bad" to "good".

I believe the figure 8 is just something that is detected by the accelerometers to trigger the calibration, a peculiarity of the chipset. The movement is not like with a phantom where it takes measurements in all directions.

I assume its the same as with my (Chinese P9000) phone. I needed to hold it with the top of the phone pointing to the sky, then do a few figure 8s, so it looks like an 8 from your vantage, and rather quickly before the calibration succeeded. It looks weird, and you get no feedback, other than the info I got from the hidden MTK engineering menu where the compass data changed from "bad" to "good".

I believe the figure 8 is just something that is detected by the accelerometers to trigger the calibration, a peculiarity of the chipset. The movement is not like with a phantom where it takes measurements in all directions.

That is a strange way to do a 2D compass calibration. I can't imagine situation where you will use compass on a phone/tablet while holding it vertically and how would that produce any useful result.

Im not saying I understand it, but I cant argue with the results. Where my phone's compass used to be completely erratic, and gave a "bad data" error, after doing the silly 8 gesture, it worked fine.

Im not saying I understand it, but I cant argue with the results. Where my phone's compass used to be completely erratic, and gave a "bad data" error, after doing the silly 8 gesture, it worked fine.

Yeah, but you do not use compass while holding your phone vertical, right? That would make no sense since you wouldn't know where are you exactly pointing it. The only way is to hold it (almost) flat with top and bottom middle of your device aligned like sights on a gun.

well actually, I do use the compass in that orientation, when I use my phone in the car for navigation. But even when its flat on a desk, it works now, where it didnt work before.

Ive been googling and getting all kinds of answers, but it seems no one really knows. Most do say to do the figure 8 like you would wave a magic wand (see here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
), which perhaps makes a little more sense, as it would move around all axis, and I might have done that inadvertently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic