GoPro thinks it is connected to USB when hooked up to Zenmuse. Please help!

Reaction score
This is a Phantom2 with H3-3D Zenmuse Gimbal and a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver.

Has anyone seen this before? I switched out the SD card with a different one, disconnected the cable several times, switched batteries, cycled power on the Phantom, nothing seems to work. I last used the quad and camera together 1 week ago today without any issues and I have used this setup over 50 times without ever having a problem.

I hooked the quad up to the DJI suite to check for updates, but everything is on the latest firmware. The GoPro is on the latest firmware also.

I know that the signal is coming through ok because it says on my ReadyMadeRC screen that the USB is connected.

I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures!

2 - swkvYod.jpg
1 - 1dwgeuU.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an update on this. I am able to record if I turn the camera on and start recording before I hook it into the Zenmuse usb cord. But as soon as I stop recording the camera goes back to USB mode. I know for a fact that this is a new development, because I used to fly the first couple of minutes with video and then land and switch to timed pictures, this is no longer possible without turning off the phantom, unplugging the usb cord restarting my GoPro and setting it to start taking pictures before firing up the phantom.

If anyone knows how I can get this back to normal let me know, please and thank you!

Do you know anyone else with the same GoPro as yours? That would be a great way to rule out if there's an issue with the GoPro. It almost sounds like that's the case. Do you have an iOSD Mini in the loop? If so, do you get the on-screen data? How is everything connected to your Phantom, outside, or in the shell? Have you checked the connections pertaining to the gimbal, all the way back to your Vtx?

I know you can see "USB Connected", but it's worth a shot to check all that. Also maybe check out the gimbal wires closely. They are very fragile.

I kinda have no idea what's up, but just figured I throw all of that out there, sorry if you've tried any/all the above.

,,,because I used to fly the first couple of minutes with video and then land and switch to timed pictures...

I have the Hero4 Black, and still getting familiar with it, but mine has a mode called "Video+ Picture". It shoots at 1080p/30fps, but snaps a 12mp picture every 5 seconds. Does yours have that mode at all? If I know I want to take stills, I set it to that mode before takeoff and let it snap away during flight.

Do you know anyone else with the same GoPro as yours? That would be a great way to rule out if there's an issue with the GoPro. It almost sounds like that's the case. Do you have an iOSD Mini in the loop? If so, do you get the on-screen data? How is everything connected to your Phantom, outside, or in the shell? Have you checked the connections pertaining to the gimbal, all the way back to your Vtx?

I know you can see "USB Connected", but it's worth a shot to check all that. Also maybe check out the gimbal wires closely. They are very fragile.

I kinda have no idea what's up, but just figured I throw all of that out there, sorry if you've tried any/all the above.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone else with a GoPro but I will ask around, that sounds like a good idea. I do not have an iOSD.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I have the Hero4 Black, and still getting familiar with it, but mine has a mode called "Video+ Picture". It shoots at 1080p/30fps, but snaps a 12mp picture every 5 seconds. Does yours have that mode at all? If I know I want to take stills, I set it to that mode before takeoff and let it snap away during flight.

My 3+ does not have video + picture, I just set it to time lapse and however many seconds I want the pictures to be. I can still see video through my monitor, but it freezes for just a second every time it takes a picture.

My 3+ does not have video + picture, I just set it to time lapse and however many seconds I want the pictures to be. I can still see video through my monitor, but it freezes for just a second every time it takes a picture.

Guess it must be something they added to the 4. I don't see any stopping of video when it takes a pic. I think you can even set different intervals, but I don't have mine handy right now to check...

I am surprised your Hero 3+S does not have the film & photo feature as my older Hero 3 BLK has it. I knew the silver was limited in some ways but I didn't think that was one of them.
Also, you say you switched cables out. What cables? The GP connects via the fixed socket on the gimbal and camera back.

I am surprised your Hero 3+S does not have the film & photo feature as my older Hero 3 BLK has it. I knew the silver was limited in some ways but I didn't think that was one of them.
Also, you say you switched cables out. What cables? The GP connects via the fixed socket on the gimbal and camera back.

Photo/video only available hero 3+ blk.

Photo/video only available hero 3+ blk.
That is incorrect. As I stated in the post you quoted, the Hero 3 Black does in fact have the capabilities to shoot video & photos at the same time. I own one and use this setting often.

Or did you mean specifically in the 3+ series? Then you are correct. I may have read that wrong. :confused:

Has anyone seen this before? I switched out the SD card with a different one, disconnected the cable several times, switched batteries, cycled power on the Phantom, nothing seems to work. I last used the quad and camera together 1 week ago today without any issues and I have used this setup over 50 times without ever having a problem.

I hooked the quad up to the DJI suite to check for updates, but everything is on the latest firmware. The GoPro is on the latest firmware also.

I know that the signal is coming through ok because it says on my ReadyMadeRC screen that the USB is connected.

Pictures!

View attachment 33799 View attachment 33798

Did you update your 3+ silver to the lastest firmware to v3.02 recently?? If so you will need to watch this video and try the workaround which will resolve the problem. It isn't the best solution but it works.

Did you update your 3+ silver to the lastest firmware to v3.02 recently?? If so you will need to watch this video and try the workaround which will resolve the problem. It isn't the best solution but it works.

I will give that a shot. Thank you!

I will give that a shot. Thank you!

If you did update your GoPro 3+ silver to the latest GP v3.02 this work around does work three others have done it even though it isn't the best solution to the problem. Do let me know if you were successful or not using this workaround.

Pictures!

View attachment 33799 View attachment 33798

Please see quote from GOPRO Service Desk... THE LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE... REMOVES the FPV function from the USB port... ONLY HDMI port is available... YOU CAN CONTACT the service desk desk and they will help you ROLL BACK the firmware.
This for ALL the HERO 2:£: AND 4 series... I am not sure if fitting the rear connector on the rear of the ZENMUSE will still work or not... THEY HAVE TOLD ME. THAT if we choose NOT to upgrade... we are still covered under warrantee.

From GOPRO...
This is intended, that the camera operates through MTP, however MTP devices are optimized for PC connections, as such, some more specialized devices like FPV systems, might have a hard time until they start adapting their own firmware to operate with MTP devices (most cameras are currently working with the MTP protocol already).

See More from [email protected]

GoPro Support

http://gopro.com/support

I have the same setup. I broke the antennae off my tx and soldered it back on and problem started. I bought new tx and saw my usb plug on the zenmuse was bad, replaced that. Still have problem. tried without tx, same. If the workaround doesnt work, then I have a useless camera. The software downgrade cant hurt

The plug in after powered on trick did not work. It is also excessive handling of the gimble and ribbon cable. I will call gopro

Answer from GoPro
Thank you for reaching out to GoPro! I regret to hear your HERO3+ Silver and Phantom Drone are no longer able to communicate. I am happy to assist you with this.

The update was designed to simplify the MTP - Media Transfer Protocol. Unfortunately, it looks like this is effecting the drone ability to communicate with the camera.

There is no way to send you or have you apply the previous firmware. Have you reached out to the drone company for a work around?

I have reached out to our SME (Subject Matter Expert) to see if there is a work around available for the drones. When I hear back from the SME, I will let you know what I have learned.

They are saying it is DJI's problem

I just tried a firmware update file from 1/2/15 and it loaded but did not correct problem. anybody have a file from before that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20