GoPro ribbon cable - what's the trick?

Reaction score
Had a couple of successful flights yesterday and got some good pics and video. But I was disappointed because when I powered everything up for the first flight, I had OSD data on the screen but no live feed from the gopro.

As many of you already suspect, once I got it home and inspected on the bench, I found the ribbon cable to the gopro had a rip in it. I've already got a couple of replacements ordered from amazon. Hopefully they'll be here soon.

These cables are obviously delicate and the USB plug needs to be pulled to get access to the memory card so 'set it and forget it' doesn't really seem to be an option. Which means (I assume) that I can expect the cables to continue to fail every so often. So what's the trick? Just keep a supply of new cables on hand and replace as required? Is there a viable option to transfer and delete the contents of the memory card which doesn't required pulling the USB plug? Is there a more robust cable option available?

i always put the usb plug back into the GoPro, even when the sd card is out & transferring the files. Had mine for over a year & no sign of any damage to it

Had a couple of successful flights yesterday and got some good pics and video. But I was disappointed because when I powered everything up for the first flight, I had OSD data on the screen but no live feed from the gopro.

As many of you already suspect, once I got it home and inspected on the bench, I found the ribbon cable to the gopro had a rip in it. I've already got a couple of replacements ordered from amazon. Hopefully they'll be here soon.

These cables are obviously delicate and the USB plug needs to be pulled to get access to the memory card so 'set it and forget it' doesn't really seem to be an option. Which means (I assume) that I can expect the cables to continue to fail every so often. So what's the trick? Just keep a supply of new cables on hand and replace as required? Is there a viable option to transfer and delete the contents of the memory card which doesn't required pulling the USB plug? Is there a more robust cable option available?
Try this one: http://dragoncircuits.com/shop/h33d-replacement-cable/

Hi Johan,
that ribbon cable is crap. Many people use the 30-pin rear connector of the GoPro instead, including myself. Try to search in this forum for '30 pin' or 'rear connector' or 'GoPro port'..
Cheers

Or... Don't manhandle the cable! Simply remove it slowly and carefully. I've got two gimbals with the USB ribbon connector and one with a 14" HDMI ribbon cable that is even more fragile. It takes only a few seconds to do it without stressing the cable.

Of course, now that I said it, I am sure to tear one of mine!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31