GoPro not working after update on Zenmuze H3-3D

Reaction score

I was having some strange recording issues with my GoPro Hero 3+ Silver so I updated it to the latest firmware version that came out in the beginning of September (v3.02). After this the GoPro, while connected to the gimbal with the USB cable connected, stays in a charging mode and does not allow for any camera functionality. If I unplug the gimbal USB the camera functionality returns and works normally. I have tested this on the computer to make sure it isn't the gimbal USB and it does the same thing, goes into a charging mode and all other functionality goes away.

It seems as though this GoPro update disabled the video pass-though capability through the USB. My Phantom 2 and the Zenmuse H3-3D is all up to date. According to GoPro there is no supported way to roll back a firmware version. Has anybody had this issue or know of any ways to resolve this? My GoPro is worthless on the Phantom right now.

I was having some strange recording issues with my GoPro Hero 3+ Silver so I updated it to the latest firmware version that came out in the beginning of September (v3.02). After this the GoPro, while connected to the gimbal with the USB cable connected, stays in a charging mode and does not allow for any camera functionality. If I unplug the gimbal USB the camera functionality returns and works normally. I have tested this on the computer to make sure it isn't the gimbal USB and it does the same thing, goes into a charging mode and all other functionality goes away.

It seems as though this GoPro update disabled the video pass-though capability through the USB. My Phantom 2 and the Zenmuse H3-3D is all up to date. According to GoPro there is no supported way to roll back a firmware version. Has anybody had this issue or know of any ways to resolve this? My GoPro is worthless on the Phantom right now.

Could be that the GP firmware may be corrupted. Why not delete the copy you have in you GP update file which would be in the download file. Then download a new copy and unzip it to the sd card.

Jason, I did try re-updating the GoPro with the update and I have the same results but I did not delete the update file in the GoPro like you said. How do you do that and would that be any different than updating it again like I did?

Jason, I did try re-updating the GoPro with the update and I have the same results but I did not delete the update file in the GoPro like you said. How do you do that and would that be any different than updating it again like I did?

You were supposed to make and that per the update instruction. Did you do that? if you did that file should still be in your computers download folder. If you never made the file that could be the problem you are having because in order for the GP to read the update it needed the file name as per those instructions.

You were supposed to make and that per the update instruction. Did you do that? if you did that file should still be in your computers download folder. If you never made the file that could be the problem you are having because in order for the GP to read the update it needed the file name as per those instructions.
What I did was download the latest firmware from GP's website based on my model and serial number, unzipped the "UPDATE" folder and moved it to a formatted micro SD card. Then I put the micro SD card in my GP and turned it on (following their instructions still) and it went through the update process (displaying "Updating" on the GP screen). Once it was done I turned it on and it shows that it has the correct firmware version, v3.02.
I've done this method twice with no difference in results. If I am supposed to do it another way I could really use some step-by-step instructions.

What I did was download the latest firmware from GP's website based on my model and serial number, unzipped the "UPDATE" folder and moved it to a formatted micro SD card. Then I put the micro SD card in my GP and turned it on (following their instructions still) and it went through the update process (displaying "Updating" on the GP screen). Once it was done I turned it on and it shows that it has the correct firmware version, v3.02.
I've done this method twice with no difference in results. If I am supposed to do it another way I could really use some step-by-step instructions.

There's not much you can do at this point. Contact GoPro but leave out any reference to the phantom or they will tell you to contact DJI. Both companies are at odds over what DJI pulled with the 30 pin connector they were using on their zenmuse gimbals. It's long story and no need to go into details.

Here's an update after calling GoPro and NOT referencing DJI:

From what I gathered that they were telling me, when the GoPro is plugged into a computer it doesn't receive enough power to charge and record so it stays in it's charging mode. I was told to try plugging it into a wall outlet and seeing if functionality comes back because it is supposed to provide more power. That is confusing because I thought a computer USB provides 5v and so does your wall charger. I may be wrong though. I will test this out tonight when I get home.

The tech used the phrase "the new update turns your device into a Smart device" at which point he went to elaborate and the phone was disconnected. I'm wondering if the new update detects that it is connected to something other than just power and that's when the features are disabled. The tech told me to also try plugging the GP into the computer via USB and then turn on the Wi-Fi on the GP and I should see functionality return. That confused me too and was discouraging to hear if it is the case because I can't have the Wi-Fi on while flying. I will test that tonight also and let everyone know.

From what I gathered that they were telling me, when the GoPro is plugged into a computer it doesn't receive enough power to charge and record so it stays in it's charging mode. I was told to try plugging it into a wall outlet and seeing if functionality comes back because it is supposed to provide more power. That is confusing because I thought a computer USB provides 5v and so does your wall charger. I may be wrong though. I will test this out tonight when I get home.

The tech used the phrase "the new update turns your device into a Smart device" at which point he went to elaborate and the phone was disconnected. I'm wondering if the new update detects that it is connected to something other than just power and that's when the features are disabled. The tech told me to also try plugging the GP into the computer via USB and then turn on the Wi-Fi on the GP and I should see functionality return. That confused me too and was discouraging to hear if it is the case because I can't have the Wi-Fi on while flying. I will test that tonight also and let everyone know.

The GP tech was correct. If the battery is low and it is plugged into the computer it will automatically go into charging mode and you will not be able to use any of the other functions. If you have a USB AC wall adapter and plug the GP into it will allow you use the record functions but I cannot confirm that it is charging the battery at the same time can only assume that it is. I do have the adapter and what he told you is correct.

Normally after a day of recording I just take off the P2 and either charge it or replace the battery then charge the used battery on a charger. Right now I have the camera connect to USB wall adapter with the camera turned on to see if it will that battery as well. Will let you know what the out come is later.

Update
Using USB AC wall adapter it did charge the battery while the camera was turned on. That cannot be done while connected to the computers USB port.

There is an interference hack you can do (charging causes horizontal lines).
I cant find the link as im at work.

Here's how..
On the end of the flex cable of the H33D, disconntect the USB attachment by lifting the tab.
Use clear sticky tape and leave either the 2 top or 2 lower pins exposed on the flex cable (these are the video +/-). The tape will disable the charging component in the flex cable. Reinstall the USB attachment.
Please note, once this is working, make sure you keep an eye on the GOpro battery. If battery dies, so does your FPV and you will be flying blind. So carry spare Gopro batteries.

When you plug the GP into your computer and push the power button you'll see battery and USB symbol but you should also see the removable storage ( drive litter) on your screen if there an SD card in the GOPro and that is the only function you will have. If there is no SD card in the GP it will charge the battery and you will not see the removable storage (drive litter) on your screen.

Now if you were using a USB AC wall adapter you would only be able to charge the battery but also record which it should when connected to the P2. Now there is a possibility that the ribbon cable on the gimbal is damaged and needs to be replaced.
Or you could do what Marko79 suggested and tape off the two power ribbons which was a solution some used to stop interference in the video but keep in you will operating on the camers battery..

The workaround worked! I booted up my drone and GoPro WITHOUT plugging in the Zenmuse USB. Then I started the recording and then plugged in the Zenmuse USB and it continued to record and transferred video through my FPV system. Once I finished recording and pushed the shutter button, it kicks back into its "I don't want to trasfer your video" mode and looks like it's just charging so to start recording again you would have to unplug the USB, push the shutter button and plug the USB back in.

I can't believe GoPro did this but I'm glad this workaround works. Thanks so much everyone for keeping an eye out for this and posting. I am probably one of the first people with this problem and when it happened I couldn't find any reports anywhere online so I was wondering if it was just an isolated issue.

Note to all FPV users:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DO NOT UPDATE YOUR GoPro FIRMWARE IF YOU USE FPV OR ANYTHING THAT USES THE VIDEO OUT THROUGH YOUR USB!!!!

The workaround worked! I booted up my drone and GoPro WITHOUT plugging in the Zenmuse USB. Then I started the recording and then plugged in the Zenmuse USB and it continued to record and transferred video through my FPV system. Once I finished recording and pushed the shutter button, it kicks back into its "I don't want to trasfer your video" mode and looks like it's just charging so to start recording again you would have to unplug the USB, push the shutter button and plug the USB back in.

I can't believe GoPro did this but I'm glad this workaround works. Thanks so much everyone for keeping an eye out for this and posting. I am probably one of the first people with this problem and when it happened I couldn't find any reports anywhere online so I was wondering if it was just an isolated issue.

Note to all FPV users:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DO NOT UPDATE YOUR GoPro FIRMWARE IF YOU USE FPV OR ANYTHING THAT USES THE VIDEO OUT THROUGH YOUR USB!!!!

More then likely you're not happy in the way you have to setup the GoPro on the P2. But have you tried to update your GP with the instructions GoPro sent to me? This is important to know if takes care of the problem so I report back to Derrick at GoPro.
Check your PM for the info that Derrick at GoPro sent me.

Apologies for not writing back jason. I tried the instructions that the GP tech sent you and they didn't resolve the issue. Video out is still disabled through the USB and I have been seeing confirmations pop up online now that this is the case with the new firmware update. But to reiterate that the workaround did work even though you have to be recording now to use your FPV.

SEE FPV POSTS.. GOPRO LATEST UPDATE REMOVES FPV normal Functionality from USB... only HDMI will be available... ROLLBACK IS possible ... CALL HELPDESK

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl