GoPro like video from a vision?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any video editing techniques to make the vision video look more like the gopro? People like to mod the phantoms to provide more distance etc, and now I see people putting different lenses on them to reduce optical effects. What post-processing software do people use?

I have played around with a video posted here a few days ago and I would really appreciate opinions as to whether the extra processing is worth it or not. The first video is essentially a small portion of the raw mp4. The second has been slightly processed with an iteration of wavelet to remove the video artifacts from the unsharp masking that dji applies. The processed video appears softer but in my opinion makes it look more natural as the sharpness that was there was not real anyway.

Opinions?

Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEG0kf6Q6HA

Processed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exs6ng09iTI

I guess I need to watch your processed version at home (at work at the moment), I don't see any difference, lol

Is it not possible that part of the "problem" you are seeing in the quality of the video, is that those videos were in low-light? I have several more videos where the lighting is better, now..

Jayson Hanes said:
Is it not possible that part of the "problem" you are seeing in the quality of the video, is that those videos were in low-light? I have several more videos where the lighting is better, now..

No I don't think so Jayson. DJI definitely sharpens the video before it is written to disc regardless of the levels of light. You can see the effects of the unsharp masking by looking at high contrast areas of the video. Zoom the image and you will notice light halos around people, cars, etc. Once an image has been processed there is no way to go back to the original. The problem with attempting to restore the video then lies in removing the unsharp masking artifacts without loosing much of the original video detail. I really wish there was a firmware option to allow saving the vision video without the extra processing. The camera on the vision looks good enough to do great video even though the bit rate is smaller than the GoPro.

PhilAnderson said:
I started both videos and watched them at the same time. I prefer the original. Bluer sky, more vibrant colors.
Thanks Phil. I believe I understand what you are seeing and the reasons for your choice. I probably should have been more specific about what I was asking with my original question. I think DJI is processing the video the way that they do for a number of reasons. First: they are probably trying to hit the nail on the head so most people will not see the need to process any further. Second: by not offering a raw mode and storing the video in a lossy format they are actually better served by processing the images before storage. Anyone trying to process the video after the lossy storage will accentuate the compression artifacts and it won't look as good.

Since your post I have changed my Youtube links to be just links now. The level of detail I was talking about was difficult to see outside of a higher definition video. In fact with the lower resolutions I agree with your assessment of choosing the original.

clark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues