GoPro Hero 5 to go UHD 8K video?

I really don't see the value in those insane resolutions -- I find that they always fall short.

I'd rather there be a huge sensor and amazing quality at 4K and below.

Reactions: Pharm
Or 4K at higher FPS, for doing slo-mo - although that would mean doubling the data rate, which is going to be pretty tough on something the size of a GoPro. (You think they have lousy battery life now...)

The sensor is the easy part. Bit depth and bit rate are much more expensive, hardware wise.

GoPro has a long and storied history of pushing the envelope - and mucking it up pretty well. After several iterations of GoPros, they still don't work well, don't work for long and have crap battery life. As kennedye metions, a 30 FPS 30 MB image streams are going to chew up electrons really, really fast.

From the article, the run time of the Hero 5 should be improved due to a bigger battery...alledgedly.

As to sensor size, I really don't want to go back to my one megapixel camera that supplied 480x640 VGA ever again. That is a joke on any large screen now as is my old 8mm movies (ugh!). Not to mention the contrasty (Poor dynamic range.) and bad colors both. Only plus was faster processing time, albeit very poor output.

Even my Nikon D800E (36MP) blasted my old Nikon D700 (12MP) out of the water. Better dynamic range by two stops, better color, etc. The D700 got sold and a lot of naysayers were very vocal that the D800E would not be worth it, until the review specs by DxOMark came out saying it was a massive improvement. Anyone that owned the two saw it as well.

Nikon D800E vs Nikon D700 | DxOMark

Technology marches on.

From the article, the run time of the Hero 5 should be improved due to a bigger battery...alledgedly.

As to sensor size, I really don't want to go back to my one megapixel camera that supplied 480x640 VGA ever again. That is a joke on any large screen now as is my old 8mm movies (ugh!). Not to mention the contrasty (Poor dynamic range.) and bad colors both. Only plus was faster processing time, albeit very poor output.

Even my Nikon D800E (36MP) blasted my old Nikon D700 (12MP) out of the water. Better dynamic range by two stops, better color, etc. The D700 got sold and a lot of naysayers were very vocal that the D800E would not be worth it, until the review specs by DxOMark came out saying it was a massive improvement. Anyone that owned the two saw it as well.

Nikon D800E vs Nikon D700 | DxOMark

Technology marches on.
Nikon / Sony seems to be capable of pushing the envelope. GoPro, not so much. To be fair, comparing a DSLR sensor / imaging chain with a weeny little thing stuck in a GoPro, cell phone or Phantom is talking apples and oranges. Engineering is a harsh mistress. I would love for GoPro to push this envelope, else there isn't much reason for DJI to push themselves. A true 4K data chain (40+ MB/sec, 10 bit and a decent lens) in a Phantom class body sends shivers up my spine. That's much more useful than 8K (although I'll take anything). Just put a decent lens in front of it. Spend the extra $5. Please?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31