GoPro Hero 4 Black firmware update v04.00. Advice?

Reaction score
I've received a firmware update (v04.00.00) for my GoPro Hero 4 Black, will this continue to work fine with my set up (P2, ImmersionRC 600mw tx)? It's just I've been warned that such updates can result in losing my video feed?

Am I safe to update my GoPro without effecting my P2 flying and video feed?

Can anyone advice?

I've received a firmware update (v04.00.00) for my GoPro Hero 4 Black, will this continue to work fine with my set up (P2, ImmersionRC 600mw tx)? It's just I've been warned that such updates can result in losing my video feed?

Am I safe to update my GoPro without effecting my P2 flying and video feed?

Can anyone advice?

Look at it this way. After they screwed up the hero 3+ black with v03. Would you trust them?? Those could no longer use the USB video output from the camera had to roll back to v02. GoPro support was not helpful at all in resolving the problem they created. Just looked at the roll back site I have used in the past and it has been changed and no longer support the rollback firmware. If your camera is working fine why upgrade.

I went back through my data and found the rollback for GoPro cameras but it was only for Hero 3+ black and silver cameras.

So If you do not have a copy of the original firmware in your computers download file for the Hero 4 black there isn't a way to rollback if there's a problem with the latest update.

I've done mine without problems but I don't use the video feed.
Not sure there's any point if you're happy with it now.
There is rudimentary shutter speed control and finer adjustment of manual white balance, it is supposed to be better at holding wifi and jumping back on it with the app/remote.
You can find older firmware online and it rolls back just fine.
In fact save 3.0 from here now if you want (Hero4 Black)
https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Pub...ABeHFrPROrLTHguDXpJycoDDOo9Pe59nmiiwkNzjWzcfQ

Thanks Jason and 4wd for your answers. Much appreciated.

Ive not updated yet due to hearing of previous update problems. I'm happy to stick with what I've already got it's just I like the sound of the Protune improvements, mainly the ability to lock the shutter speed and lock the ISO settings. You're opinion would be helpful. Cheers.

Has anyone out there actually done this update? Are the additional features any good? Does your video feed TX still work?

My hero 4 black has v03 which was released 7/30/15. That update had all the Protune changes and there hasn't been any video problems with that update. Of course v04 says it has Protune improvements but no mention as to what they are but more then likely will upgrade all the Protune improvements.

Here this video shows what improvements were made to the Protune shutter speeds are nice to have but the WB isn't a big deal for me nor is the photo side.

Has anyone out there actually done this update? Are the additional features any good? Does your video feed TX still work?

If you are interested I found all the older Hero 4 firmware updates. Now that I have v3.0 as a back up I will download the v4.0 update.

Reactions: andyc100

I uploaded hero 4 v4.0 update and tested all the video functions and tested it on the P2. Also tested all the functions on the GoPro app to make setting changes before a flight and everything worked fine. You'll find that the shutter setting change depending on what resolution and frame rate you are using. Same with the ISO lock/max those settings will change the actual ISO settings as well.

If you are interested I found all the older Hero 4 firmware updates. Now that I have v3.0 as a back up I will download the v4.0 update.
Hi Jason, would you be able to link the firmware upgrades and how easy is it to revert back to and older version if required, my H4B is still on v3. 0 as I heard that the fpv was disabled on the upgrade to 3.02
My hero 4 black has v03 which was released 7/30/15. That update had all the Protune changes and there hasn't been any video problems with that update. Of course v04 says it has Protune improvements but no mention as to what they are but more then likely will upgrade all the Protune improvements.

Here this video shows what improvements were made to the Protune shutter speeds are nice to have but the WB isn't a big deal for me nor is the photo side.

Sent from my F5121 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Many thanks for your help Jason, I have the H4B and just updated the firmware from 3.0 to 4.0, hooked up to the phantom 2 V3 and got a good video feed to the black pearl monitor....

Cheers

Many thanks for your help Jason, I have the H4B and just updated the firmware from 3.0 to 4.0, hooked up to the phantom 2 V3 and got a good video feed to the black pearl monitor....

Cheers

Andy there two versions of the phantom 2 non-vision v1 and v2. The big difference between the two was that the v2 had 960kv/2312 motors vs v1 with 920kv/2212 motors. The reason behind the change was more lifting power along with the 9450 props.

For those with a P2 v1 with original motors/ESC modules and want to change motors you also have to change the ESC modules from v2.0 to v2.1

Andy there two versions of the phantom 2 non-vision v1 and v2. The big difference between the two was that the v2 had 960kv/2312 motors vs v1 with 920kv/2212 motors. The reason behind the change was more lifting power along with the 9450 props.

For those with a P2 v1 with original motors/ESC modules and want to change motors you also have to change the ESC modules from v2.0 to v2.1
Thanks for the correction Jason, it's the last version of the P2 that I have, got it about a month before the P3 was announced.

with the new firmware 4.0 record with 4K at 24 fps you have only this shutters speed option 1/24 1/48 1/96, i try all the speeds with 100 to 400 iso and my need to put a ND Filter, i think the shutter speed option are little poor.

Okay so I have a Phantom 2 V1. I use it with a black pearl monitor. If I update from GoPro firmware V.3.00 to V 4.00 will I get a video signal out of the USB. Has anyone else tested this other that AndyC100? Thanks

Update on the new latest gopro v5 update, I uploaded the latest firmware v5 on to my Hero 4 Black with no obvious problems associated with the fpv from the phantom 2 V2 to the black pearl monitor

Update on the new latest gopro v5 update, I uploaded the latest firmware v5 on to my Hero 4 Black with no obvious problems associated with the fpv from the phantom 2 V2 to the black pearl monitor

Haven't seen much of a difference between the v5 over the v4 nor have i seen any problems with the android app tested with both pld an new GP firmware versons.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub