GoPro Hero 3 WiFi interference with RX on the Phantom?

Reaction score
Hi guys, i knew that the connectivity between GoPro and mobile phones (with the GoPro app) can annoy the receiver of the Phantom making it go crazy, so i don't want to try that, but i have the Hero 3 Black edition, that comes with the remote, how about that?

In the camera there is a WiFi chip and a Bluetooth 4.0 chip, (is it on another signal frequency?), i think that's for the remote... because otherwise there would be no reason to put a Bluetooth chip on the camera.

i also noticed that the data transfer from camera to remote is really little, (black or white 50x50 display resolution) but still there is a huge delay in time when changing stuff on the screen (it is a screen mirroring/streaming)

So... two questions:
1. is the signal frequency of the Bluetooth different from the RX TX frequency?
2. can i fly safe using just the Remote?

Thanks from Italy.

The Phantom and Hero interfer because they both use 2.3 GHz. I believe the BlueTooth frequency is 2402-2480 MHz. That said, the range is about 20m. Not ideal for flight.

A hero 3 black has Bluetooth??

I'm almost certain that the gopro remote is wifi. My own little theory is that wifi isn't actually the culprit but more so the "noise" that the gopro makes around the 2.4ghz spectrum when the wifi is on! But I don't have any empirical evidence to support that claim :(

Received a Phantom Model P330 for Christmas along with the GoPro Hero 3+. Learned to fly the Phantom easily and found it to be incredibly stable. Tried several flights with the GoPro H3+ without Wi fi enabled and flew well. Yesterday I went out to try a flight with Wi fi enabled and my iPhone mounted on my TX. No sooner did I take off and everything went crazy. Had no control whatsoever. Motors revved and it started climbing! The most horrific feeling I've ever felt! When it was no longer visible I felt I had to turn off the TX. Fortunately the failsafe worked and it came home! Maybe I'll have to fly without Wi fi in the future. Any thoughts? I had bluetooth enabled on the iPhone but not sure if that was a contributor?

EstesFlyer said:
Received a Phantom Model P330 for Christmas along with the GoPro Hero 3+. Learned to fly the Phantom easily and found it to be incredibly stable. Tried several flights with the GoPro H3+ without Wi fi enabled and flew well. Yesterday I went out to try a flight with Wi fi enabled and my iPhone mounted on my TX. No sooner did I take off and everything went crazy. Had no control whatsoever. Motors revved and it started climbing! The most horrific feeling I've ever felt! When it was no longer visible I felt I had to turn off the TX. Fortunately the failsafe worked and it came home! Maybe I'll have to fly without Wi fi in the future. Any thoughts? I had bluetooth enabled on the iPhone but not sure if that was a contributor?

there are tons of posts/warnings about having the gopro wifi on. and, sadly, many crashes as a result.

i'm getting ready to get set up with gopro and will, for sure, never ever never never never have wifi on~

Don't enable the WiFi on the GoPro. It WILL cause control link problems. Guaranteed.

If you want to see the video of the GoPro it is best to install one of the 5.8ghz video links.

If you are looking to have remote start and stop on the GoPro the best info for the moment is - not possible.

LandYachtMedia said:
Don't enable the WiFi on the GoPro. It WILL cause control link problems. Guaranteed.

If you want to see the video of the GoPro it is best to install one of the 5.8ghz video links.

If you are looking to have remote start and stop on the GoPro the best info for the moment is - not possible.
Thanks guys! At least I can feel comfortable knowing what caused such a catastrophic problem. Very good advise! And thanks to failsafe the Phantom lives to fly another day!

EstesFlyer said:
LandYachtMedia said:

Thanks guys! At least I can feel comfortable knowing what caused such a catastrophic problem. Very good advise! And thanks to failsafe the Phantom lives to fly another day!

Interesting, I used the gopro remote all winter with a Tarot2D/Hero3/Phantom1/Futaba8FG combination. No problems what so ever. Made it so easy to begin recording and stop when ever I needed. Less fumbling in the freezing temps we had too. I just bought a H3-3D/Phantom2 and set it up with the same Futaba and Hero3. But I'm afraid to use the Gopro remote with the new setup after reading this post.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic