Gopro Hero 3 stills problems

Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of posters have referred to poor quality stills from the Gopro Hero 3 and I have two questions:

Firstly, specifically what are the problems?

Secondly, are these problems likely to be the same on the newer Gopro Hero 3+?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First production batches of the GoPro Hero 3+ had focus issues. They weren't focusing on things in the distance. If the GoPro Hero 3+ has a production date of Nov '13 or later, they are corrected.

If you have one like that, it's an easy fix. Just youtube Gopro hero 3+ focus.

It depends on what you are comparing it too. Compared to a DSLR, the stills are poor.
If you shoot in timelapse mode (rather than video+photo combined) then the stills are of fairly good quality. Think, low-end point and shoot for a comparison. The main issue is the compression and that there's no way to shoot raw.

The image sensor on a gopro is tiny. That is the thing that determines image quality. The larger the image sensor the more light it can collect. I have gotten some decent shots in bright daylight but as dusk comes quality goes down. Still shots are all I am interested in. I have been interested in photography all my life and have worked at a pro photo lab (film). Some one just starting out might not notice the things I do and if your not shooting professionally and the images make you happy thats great. The things I see are low resolution when the light starts to fade and noise or graininess in some areas. I am looking for a multicopter that can handle a Sony NEX5 and does not cost $5000.00. Well there is my opinion everyone has one. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic