Gopro hero 3 black

Reaction score
I have a hero 2. Thinking of upgrading to the 3,,black,,I have read a lot of negative reviews. Anyone have any thoughts on this

I'm flying with 3 Black edition filming in 1080p 120fps, works good for me.

What are the negative comments about?

also read a lot - firmeware problems
Frozen videos ore recording is breaking down...
a lot of my friends have the new one - the all say its good
quality is better and also the all have no problems....

From what I heard it was firmware issues. Did hear it was corrected. Didn't want to spend $400 and not have better than the hero2

I recently bought the GoPro Hero3 Black but only after exhaustive reading of every customer review I could find on the internet.

I went back and forth on whether or not to buy this camera for a long time before I finally came away with the understanding (whether right or wrong) that the largest segment of issues with this camera seemed to boil down to a couple things seemingly related to the microSD cards being used.

My suggestions:

1. Spend a bit extra and get a TOP QUALITY MicroSD card (class 10 or higher) I bought a couple 32GB TRANSCEND PREMIUM Ultra High Speed UHS-1 (classs 10) cards (Cost about $25 US each)

2. A fair majority of the problems involved the larger capacity 64GB SANDISK cards (which apparently require a slightly different formatting procedure, or something along those lines...Google it)

3. Dedicate the microSD card(s) that you will use with your GoPro to the GoPro ONLY. In other words, don't go swapping your GoPro card with your camera/phone card and vice versa. Use it in your GoPro only.

I've had my GoPro H3-Black for a few weeks now and haven't experienced any problems - even after an ~80 foot drop caused by a MAC with a Douglas fir tree.

Oh, that goes without saying, write speed on the memory card needs to be higher then the bitrate of your recording..

Which means those cheapass cards wont work well if you plan to record 1080p at 120fps etc..

I've been ok with my Hero3 Black as well, got the SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 with it.

I'd say the reason for so many negative reviews is based on a combination of them coming out with a crippled device in the first place, people having trouble with their firmware update, and others having troubles with their SD memory cards not being able to handle the high data-rate- as it's really pushing the limits of these cards.

But I'd say a majority of users who follow the firmware update, format their quality cards in the camera, are not experiencing problems.
..they're just not as vocal as the ones who are experiencing problems.

Thanks for the info,,I think ill pop for it,,now can I stay with any of y'all when I tell the wife I bought another piece of camera equipment

The thing I have experienced is sometimes when I put it into Film+Photo mode it will start then at some point quickly it will just stop or it will act like its working but only take a .JPG and waste a full battery run. I have also only got the pictures every 1 second to work once

Gizmo3000 said:
Well it appears they put out a firmware update TODAY
..and of course they don't bother sending users an email or anything
But even tho I haven't experienced any significant issues myself, figured it's safe to update!

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3 ... -available
I love the part where you have to re-register every time and Java never works with their update on my new iMac so I have to pull the battery out and type that 80 zillion number serial number that is stuffed with 8's and B's but so small you need a magnifying glass to read it. Got it right on my 2nd try today!

Thanks for the heads up since GoPro obviously doesn't do anything valuable with their registration

Mark P said:
I love the part where you have to re-register every time and Java never works with their update on my new iMac so I have to pull the battery out and type that 80 zillion number serial number that is stuffed with 8's and B's but so small you need a magnifying glass to read it. Got it right on my 2nd try today!

Thanks for the heads up since GoPro obviously doesn't do anything valuable with their registration

Yah,. I had that problem with Java not working in Safari
(it worked in Firefox tho). enabling and disabling it from within Safari didn't' work
but I managed to get it working by going to the OSX System Prefs and click in the Java pref pane (under Other), and deleted it's cache. then restarted Safari a few times, and then I think I found a page on Java's site that "tested" Java, and low and behold it was working again.
big mess with Java and OSX security ,. so many bloody updates!@#.
glad you got it working tho.

I was able to skip the product registration page (didn't have to type in any number)

but yah, seems like they only use the registration to send users emails of video's and propaganda!@#

Gizmo3000 said:
Mark P said:

Yah,. I had that problem with Java not working in Safari
(it worked in Firefox tho). enabling and disabling it from within Safari didn't' work
but I managed to get it working by going to the OSX System Prefs and click in the Java pref pane (under Other), and deleted it's cache. then restarted Safari a few times, and then I think I found a page on Java's site that "tested" Java, and low and behold it was working again.
big mess with Java and OSX security ,. so many bloody updates!@#.
glad you got it working tho.

I was able to skip the product registration page (didn't have to type in any number)

but yah, seems like they only use the registration to send users emails of video's and propaganda!@#
My 1080P 60fps looks like crap since the firmware upgrade, I'm hoping its because it's cloudy/rainy/windy and too much green but detail is definitely lacking

Hey guys,

If your an REI member you can get the Hero 3 Black for $319.99 until Sunday April 7,2013. That's 20% off. I picked up one yesterday at REI in Brentwood,Ca. That's an $80.00 savings. :D

Eik, you cant shoot 120fps at 1080p, only 60fps.
If you want 120fps you need to drop to 720p.

I love my Hero 3 deffinitly worth upgrading from a 2

True, typo from my part, but the point was that it required a good card to write fast enough :)

Yeah i just went best you can get with that, 64gb in the fastest speed possible,

Only problem is, sometimes the file size is so big the computer cant play it back with out skipping now and again, and i have a pretty decent computer too, so i dont really shoot above 1080p.

Ive had issues recently with the sound being massively out of sync, im hoping the firmware update i did today will fix that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4