gopro hero 3 black+ settings? no manual. newb help!

Reaction score
hi everyone. first of all, thank you for this forum. I have been reading and collecting information here for about two weeks now. I received my phantom 2 nonvision with zenmuse this morning. perfect first flight this afternoon. no problems at all.

when I got home and looked at the video, it wasn't that good. not shaky or anything. the zenmuse worked really well. it was kind of grainy and just crappy looking to be honest. my question is, can someone with a gopro hero 3 black+ post the settings that you use for your videos?

also, I went out this evening to get my first night video. it sucked. no other way to explain that. so my next question is, has anyone been able to get good night footage with a gopro hero 3 black+? if so, can you please tell me the settings you used?

I do not have a manual for the gopro.

I really do appreciate this forum and the people that have helped out here. im looking forward to posting some of my experience when I get it.

texas, drew

have a look at this and decide what settings work for you.

Attachments

• gopro.png
    gopro.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 5,459
1080@30 fps here as this setting is more IPad, iPhone friendly. Downloads to my computer better as well and still looks plenty good enough.

phantomnz said:
I always set mine at 1080 @ 60fpm. And 12mb when taking photos. Don't do simultaneous video and photos they will come out bad. Hope that helps.

Bad answer.
I regularly do 1080/30 and simultaneous video and stills. - which is very desirable if you wish shoot stills while flying FPV
and the results turn out perfectly fine.

Night video almost never looks good in any setting, unless things are considerably lit up.

Footage coming out of the GoPro can often use a bit of color correction.
- if you're shooting in in nice light, you could also look/read up into shooting with Protune on, but take some learning on how to properly post-process it, otherwise it will look murky out of the camera. *but don't use Protune at night

Cor Brink said:
have a look at this and decide what settings work for you.

thanks for this! i really appreciate it.

phantomnz said:
I always set mine at 1080 @ 60fpm. And 12mb when taking photos. Don't do simultaneous video and photos they will come out bad. Hope that helps.

tried these settings earlier today. i havent had the time to check the video to see if it made any difference yet. thanks so much for your help.

Jax Quad said:
1080@30 fps here as this setting is more IPad, iPhone friendly. Downloads to my computer better as well and still looks plenty good enough.

thank you jax. when you say better, do you mean the quality, or speed wise?

CunningStuntFlyer said:
drewtx said:
I do not have a manual for the gopro.

http://bit.ly/LtkOwV

Settings:

2k/30, protune on, WB RAW or 1080/60, protune on, WB RAW (medium or wide FOV, depending)

freaking awesome! i took my sons gopro out of his motorcycle helmet and never could find the box. so this is awesome. thanks. ill try your settings tomorrow. weather pending....

Gizmo3000 said:
phantomnz said:

Bad answer.
I regularly do 1080/30 and simultaneous video and stills. - which is very desirable if you wish shoot stills while flying FPV and the results turn out perfectly fine.

Night video almost never looks good in any setting, unless things are considerably lit up.

Footage coming out of the GoPro can often use a bit of color correction.
- if you're shooting in in nice light, you could also look/read up into shooting with Protune on, but take some learning on how to properly post-process it, otherwise it will look murky out of the camera. *but don't use Protune at night

thanks gizmo. i kind of figured that the night footage wouldnt be that good no matter what. i messed around with it later on that same night and couldnt make anything look decent. ill be messing around with the protune tomorrow.

again, thanks to everyone for your help and time.

texas, drew

phantomnz said:

just got done messing with the video I made earlier on the 1080 60 settings. it made it look 100% better. so, thanks again.

Don't do simultaneous video and photos they will come out bad
Why do you say this? Are the stills bad, videos or both? What's the issue? I'm getting ready to buy my setup and plan on getting the black solely for this mode which isn't available on the silver.

Any info is helpful. Thx.

I regularly do 1080/30 and simultaneous video and stills. - which is very desirable if you wish shoot stills while flying FPV

Maybe a stupid question, but with an FPV setup, is there no video if you are not recording? In other words, if I send it up in time lapse mode and no video, is there not a video feed from for the FPV?
Thx.

CJ31 said:

Maybe a stupid question, but with an FPV setup, is there no video if you are not recording? In other words, if I send it up in time lapse mode and no video, is there not a video feed from for the FPV?
Thx.

If you have a FPV setup, you can see everything even if you are not recording. The FPV will show all the info you see on your GoPro. Also on my setup, when a setup to take time lapse photos, the screen blinks like a shutter to show when it is taking a photo. Hope that helps.

CJ31 said:
Don't do simultaneous video and photos they will come out bad
Why do you say this? Are the stills bad, videos or both? What's the issue? I'm getting ready to buy my setup and plan on getting the black solely for this mode which isn't available on the silver.

Any info is helpful. Thx.

There is nothing wrong with doing it this way (come out bad, is probably not the best way to describe it), it's just that I like to shoot my video in 60fps to give a smoother result. In simultaneous mode, you can only shoot @ 30fps at 12mb image.

I see a lot of folks stating they are shooting at 60fps for "smoother" video- I shoot off a 70mph motorcycle, and while the Phantom doesn't begin to hit those speeds, the principle is the same.

I shoot at 720 at 120fps and then slow it down for dramatic effect- that provides the "smoothest" footage- especially when output on youtube at 30fps. I do not know why or how all this works- just this is what I do based on my experimentation- I notice very little difference between 60 and 30fps at 1080 on playback at regular speed... but in slomo it sucks at 60 and 30 compared to 120.

I need some higher education... I need to look into photography classes so I know what the hell I am doing.

I recently purchased a 3+ Black for ultimately hanging it off a Phantom (or something). The one setting not getting mentioned much is the field of view. Being a photographer and not an RC person, I'm mainly looking for video quality. I have been experimenting with the field if view more than the frame rate and resolution. 1080 (30 or 60) is the best so far with 2.7k nice but the files are too big for easy editing. In 1080 you can have Super View, Wide, Med and Narrow. I would try each one and see how you like the results. For me, I like Med the best.

I also post process the video (if it's short) in Photoshop and use both the GoPro lens correction and then need to slightly correct that further to get rid of the fisheye effect. I only wish FCP offered the same level of lens correction as that's my editor of choice. Then dealing with shaky video is next. Nothing worse than unstable video to make things look awful.

Anyway, when it comes to video quality, it more than just 720 or 1080. It's the entire process from shooting (the biggest part) to post processing that decides how the end product looks. Video destined to be in YouTube will get different treatment from the ones that might be used in a projection system shown to a large audience.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie