Gopro hero 3+ blac edition VS gopro hero 4 black

Reaction score
Is it worth buying Hero4 vs hero3 +? Movies in 2.7k with 25 framerates and visual image quality is good. Is there really much difference between 4K 25 framerates vs 2.7K with 25 framerates. What do you think ?? :geek:

I want to know the answer too. I own neither and in the market.

The 4BE is $650 (AUD) and the 3+ is $460 (aud).

I thought there would be a flood of 3+BE in the classifieds. It doesn't seem to be the case. That shows its not "worth" the upgrade.

You need to ask yourself - do you use edit and use 4K? I probably won't until 4K becomes a bit more mainstream. Most people wont upgrade to 4k TV panels as our channels pump out at best 1080i @ 25fps.

The only other advantage is low light. Do you fly at night??

I like the 1080p @ 60fps on the 3+BE and I'm pretty sure 1080p @ 120fps on the 4BE would be nice. I know that 120fps is nice for slow mo but you don't slow mo with aerial footage.

You'll also need to look at the Zenmuse h3-3d version 1.0 vs 1.1. Both are designed for the 3 series. I cant recall, but 1 version has the usb flex and the other has the rear port. It's more beneficial to use the rear port.
With the 4BE, you need use the side USB port as visual does not stream through the preferred hero port on the back of the new 4BE. This can be annoying as it is a fragile flex cable ($5) needs to be unplugged to access the SD card and charge the go pro.
The 4BE also needs to be rebalanced on the h3-3d (some users). Just use some coins and double sided tape.
[Edit] One more problem with the 4BE is the select button is on the side and it interferes with the H3-3D. Some have dremmelled the gimbal to make more clearance (voids warranty). Use a vacuum cleaner whilst dremmelling other wise you may get metal fragments in the brushless motors.

Many have said - if this is your first gopro - get the 4BE. Don't upgrade if you already have the 3+BE.

I'm steering towards a used 3+BE as I was disappointed that the 4BE did not have optical image stabilisation.

I'm kinda curious about this as well. I'm not a "prosumer", but a couple of folks have recommended going with the P2 over the P2V+, due to the fragility of the gimbal/camera. But frankly.....GoPros have changed a lot since I last handled one. LOL

Is the quality of the GoPro THAT much better over the camera on the P2V+?

I can't speak for the go pro 3 but I purchased the GP4 black and love it. 1080p @ 120 FPS is awesome. Haven't really used the 4k video much as I don't have anything to play that resolution on

My two cents. I shoot TV for a living. If you have the 3+ there is no reason to buy the 4. If you don't then buy the 4 but know that the 4k function won't be used all that much.

i normally only record in 1080 with a narrow fov, so have actually just gone back to a Hero 3 instead of the Hero 3+ that i was using.

you only need to film higher than 30fps if your your going to slo-mo when you edit. & using a narrow field of vision almost guarantees no prop/legs get into shot which limits it to 1080

promocop said:
My two cents. I shoot TV for a living. If you have the 3+ there is no reason to buy the 4. If you don't then buy the 4 but know that the 4k function won't be used all that much.

I was thinking filmin in 4k but after edit saving as 1k. I.e you in effect have a 4x zoom to play with in editing when transfeering to 1k or just downscaling all or parts of the video. Is that not feasible?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl