GoPro enters the drone market -- is our hobby growing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: GoPro enters the drone market -- is our hobby growing up

If these drones are about photography, then DJI is shooting themselves in the foot by marketing their flagship drone with a mediocre camera that breaks easily, is expensive and time consuming to repair, and useable for only one thing. Assuming that they do it right by putting the thing onto a reasonably good flying platform, I'd buy a GoPro drone in a heartbeat just so that I could fly with a good camera that I can take off the drone and put onto my snowmobile helmet.

The sooner the better for all customers more competition the better .

MacCool said:
If these drones are about photography, then DJI is shooting themselves in the foot by marketing their flagship drone with a mediocre camera that breaks easily, is expensive and time consuming to repair, and useable for only one thing. Assuming that they do it right by putting the thing onto a reasonably good flying platform, I'd buy a GoPro drone in a heartbeat just so that I could fly with a good camera that I can take off the drone and put onto my snowmobile helmet.
Today drones are about photography.

Pretty soon having a good camera will become expected (like smartphones) and then the drones will start to do other things.

I agree, it's about photography. R/C (for me, for 40 years) used to be about the building and the flying. That's kind of boring these days. Now, for me, it's about the photography. That's why it pisses me off so much that DJI would put a fragile POS camera/gimble with mediocre video performance on a $1200 radio-controlled flying machine that by its very nature is subject to trees and ground, random puffs of air, and niggling electronic gremlins. And then...$679 to replace the component that represents the primary reason for flying the thing in the first place? And then making it poorly enough that it's lucky to survive the inevitable crash? Seriously? That would not seem to customer-oriented engineering and marketing.

I wanted FPV for this new aspect of my R/C career. I know how to use a soldering iron and certainly am no stranger to modifying model aircraft electronics, but the flying and the photography was the aspect of the hobby that I wanted to focus on, not the modifying, building or re-building so I elected to go with the P2V+ for my initial foray into drone photography. I haven't broken it yet, but reading all these online forums, I'm apprehensive about it.

My suspicion is that given the ready availability of companies putting together the electronics and systems necessary to build a viable drone, GoPro would have no trouble acquiring the components and expertise to market a very serviceable drone, and I suspect that if and when they do, it will be able to take a beating, unlike the Vision +, it appears.

So yeah, I'm really rooting for GoPro.

Nick Woodman a very clever American who started from a basic idea now a Billionare surprised more Americans are not supporting the go pro drone idea .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj