GoPro burned up on Zenmuse Gimbal

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of different zenmuse versions for the H32D gimbals for the Phantoms?

I have a P2 with the H32D gimbal. I bought the gimbal before the P2 was released, yesterday I went to fly FPV and the picture was not clear, so I landed brought it inside switched antennas. Turned it back on with immersion antenna was looking at picture thru goggles, still not clear, began to smell smoke. Turned off the P2, was looking at it then noticed the front display of gopro screen had melted, this is where the smell was coming from. :evil:

Where did this power surge come from?
Is it from turning on the gimbal power in the software assistant? Because even with it turned off it still works.

If there is a version difference that DJI has put out, that needs to be made public knowledge ASAP! I say this because I was looking on Amazon for gimbals and noticed some say for Phantom 2 only and vice versa, attached is the screenshot.

Feeling :x

Attachments

• dji.jpg
    dji.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 811
Not knowing anything about the difference, maybe the pin out is different between the two versions and supply voltage was being applied where it shouldn't be.

ianwood said:
Not knowing anything about the difference, maybe the pin out is different between the two versions and supply voltage was being applied where it shouldn't be.

the funny thing is the gopro still works, they should make a drone :lol:

juche1777 said:
If there is a version difference that DJI has put out, that needs to be made public knowledge ASAP! I say this because I was looking on Amazon for gimbals and noticed some say for Phantom 2 only and vice versa, attached is the screenshot.

The difference is just the the lack of a GCU with the P2-only version (since that interface is integrated onto the P2 mainboard) (and maybe a rotated mounting bracket to fit the P2 shell).

Edit: REVSED below.

The mounting hardware and no GCU for P2 is the only difference. I'd be blaming GoPros' notorious battery overheat problems for that issue. Contact GoPro, bet they warranty it.

ElGuano said:
juche1777 said:

The difference is just the the lack of a GCU with the P2-only version (since that interface is integrated onto the P2 mainboard) (and maybe a rotated mounting bracket to fit the P2 shell). I've never heard of a GoPro burning up on an H2-2D! So my initial thinking is it's not any systemic problem with the gimbal.

So what do you think caused the gopro to get so much power to burn the display? I will post a pic soon.

juche1777 said:
ElGuano said:
juche1777 said:

The difference is just the the lack of a GCU with the P2-only version (since that interface is integrated onto the P2 mainboard) (and maybe a rotated mounting bracket to fit the P2 shell). I've never heard of a GoPro burning up on an H2-2D! So my initial thinking is it's not any systemic problem with the gimbal.

So what do you think caused the gopro to get so much power to burn the display? I will post a pic soon.

I want to correct my original statement above--a quick search on the web shows a few people who have definitely reported "GoPros being too hot to touch" after being powered on by the H3-2D. I don't know if the issue was completely tracked down, but there might be something there after all. Good luck chasing down the cause!

the mount for the Zenmuse Gimbal is different on the P2 than the P1, if you get a chance to look at the two model's side by side you will see that the P2 has a mount in a cross configuration and the P1 is in a plus configuration, as far as I know that is the only difference, the electronics and cable's are same. One thing to also look at is the main board's but they are no worry.

juche1777 said:
Here is the gopro after.

Whoa! :shock:

I am guessing that was a problem in the GoPro itself. Takes a fair bit of amperage to do that. If the problem originated upstream, that amount of amperage would have needed to flow through the Phantom and the Zenmuse on a very small wire which would likely have cooked itself in the process.

Have you checked the GoPro battery? If there's any sign of bubbling, bursting or deformation, be careful.

I never liked the idea on the gimbal powering the go pro.
Drawing unnecessary power from my flight batteries, plus the Go pro battery will outlast a quads easy, even after multiple quad battery changes. And go pro has no official standings with DJI so who knows what could go wrong with it, now or in the future.

I found a video the other day of a tutorial on how to remove the connector in the gimbal to go pro. It's as simple as 4 screws. Doing a bit more research to see if it will affect the gimbal in any way but im considering taking it off. I can find and post the video if your interested.

jmack_89 said:
Drawing unnecessary power from my flight batteries, plus the Go pro battery will outlast a quads easy, even after multiple quad battery changes. And go pro has no official standings with DJI so who knows what could go wrong with it, now or in the future.

I found a video the other day of a tutorial on how to remove the connector in the gimbal to go pro. It's as simple as 4 screws. Doing a bit more research to see if it will affect the gimbal in any way but im considering taking it off. I can find and post the video if your interested.

I'm right there with you. I'm going to fly it a bit this weekend iwth the gopro to make sure everything is good, then take off the connector to the go pro. A guy on here did it and said he is getting probably 2-3 minutes more of flight time

jmack_89 said:

Inferno aside, it would be great if you could power an H3B/+ without having the battery in the camera. That'd be a 30g savings right there. But then we'd probably lose a bunch of crash impact footage when the camera/gimbal/battery separate forcibly from the Phantom.

You won't get 2-3 minutes more by removing the gopro power. At 200-300mw draw, it'll be more like 5-10 seconds. A 3-minute difference would be drawing as much power than all four ESCs/motors screaming at full throttle.

jmack_89 said:

Yes post it

ianwood said:
juche1777 said:
Here is the gopro after.

Whoa! :shock:

I am guessing that was a problem in the GoPro itself. Takes a fair bit of amperage to do that. If the problem originated upstream, that amount of amperage would have needed to flow through the Phantom and the Zenmuse on a very small wire which would likely have cooked itself in the process.

Have you checked the GoPro battery? If there's any sign of bubbling, bursting or deformation, be careful.

The battery looks normal, no swelling nothing. I took it apart and the circuits look fine, just the display is fried, and as I said before the camera still powers up and works, but you can't tell what mode your in.

Still think IMHO the gimbal caused this, reason: After I turned on the gimbal in the software assistant, the tilt of the camera went from a slow up and down motion to a super fast movement, or a very responsive movement. I have had 4 of the Phantoms and none moved like that.

Have you upgraded the firmware for the GoPro to the most recent.

sent email to DJI they said send in the zenmuse for repair. Will follow up.

@FangCPO ....NO I didnt upgrade the gopro, it was working fine before, also didn't know there was a firmware update for gopro cam :shock:

juche1777 said:
sent email to DJI they said send in the zenmuse for repair. Will follow up.

@FangCPO ....NO I didnt upgrade the gopro, it was working fine before, also didn't know there was a firmware update for gopro cam :shock:

Check their website.........I know normally someone here will post that there's a firmware upgrade available. I do know from experience that the HERO3 runs hotter than my previous GoPro. It's also been said, the higher quality video you select, the hotter the GoPro will get since it's working harder to capture higher quality video. Just a few theories. Good Luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj