GoPro 4 specs released?

Nothing is confirmed, but wow, I'd love for that to be true. I don't even have a go pro hero 3 black yet, so I'm ok with 2.7k even if it doesn't have all of those other features. I would just like to see better ISO performance.

I have 6 of the black hero 3s and yesterday my wife said "Costco has a good deal on gopro silvers" to which I replied that I prefer black. Of course she asked what the difference was and I honestly didn't know. When I looked it up I realized that I shoot in 1080 at 30fps and never use the higher quality that the black offers. I could have saved a lot if coin.

My point being is that sometimes these specs are great. Like a Lamborghini that does 250mph but unless you're going 250, it's a moot point. My MacBook Air isn't powerful enough to have 4k video files and unless you want to drop enough coin on a TV to buy a car, most people will never own a 4k TV.

I would love to see more options in the prosumer realm even if that meant paying for a professional edition. Or get me more mounts and filters sold straight from gopro. Don't make me buy from polar pro and rage cams. I'll pay a little more to get then at my local gopro dealer.

I'd love to believe those specs, but one thing makes me reluctant to: Hero 2 was released in October 2011. Hero 3 was released in October 2012. Hero 3+ was released in October 2013. There is a track record of GoPro releasing new models in October each year - why would they break that pattern now, and release a new model sooner than October 2014?
Eagle's view.

Pretty good I'd say, given their track record of maintaining backward compatibility WRT accessories. If they keep the weight the same as well, it'll just be plug and play.

And let me just say that 4k 30fps with stabilizer support in-camera (plus gimbal) would make a great pairing with my shiny new Sony 65-inch 4K TV :)

I think I'll settle with my 3+ Black for now.

I don't think my 5 year old Macbook could handle 4K, LOL.

I don't see why they'd break their product cycle either, October 2014 sounds about right to me as well.
and it seems like only a few rumor sites are posting these rumors (which of course benefits them, as they'll get the website traffic), so gotta take their predictions with a grain of salt.

even if they do come out with 4k or 1080 at 120fps, I doubt I'd ever use those modes, just too much data to deal with.
plus they'll require the fastest Micro SD cards imaginable.

I wouldn't mind being able to shoot 2.7k and stills at the same time tho, if that's ever possible.

But I'm not drooling at the thought of it either, and don't really see why anyone would "hold off" on buying for the 4.
buy a 3+ now, enjoy it, and if the 4 is all so promising, you can always sell your 3+ for a slight loss.

I've used the GoPro since the model Hero HD, then the Hero 2, Hero 3 Black Edition, and Hero 3+ Black Edition. It seems like there's give and take with each higher-spec, newer model.

Although the Hero HD and Hero 2 took the same size battery, batteries always lasted a lot longer on Hero HD, plus the Hero HD does not heat up as quickly as do Hero 2 and 3 series. However, the HD's optical sharpness was weaker at distant subjects--even when set to the same resolution settings as the Heros 2 and 3.

Regarding the next Hero models, it would make sense for GoPro to introduce a Hero 4 with higher frame rates. However, they need to overcome the varied write performance of microSD cards. In fact, their firmware update to the Hero 3 will automatically reduce the frame rate when needed.

This is but mere speculation...the other new GoPro model would be the model 360--that would shoot 360-degree video and stills. Some companies have built prototypes or rigs for this purpose, some of which use GoPro cameras, but it needs much stronger hardware and software support, such as that which GoPro could provide. Typically, a 360-degree camera would employ at least 2 or 3 lenses and sensors. The still shot-only Ricoh Theta camera is an example of a two-lens 360-degree camera: one lens points fore and the other points aft. The Geonaute is a three-lens video camera (not yet released).

I would also like to see intervalometer for time-lapse photos--settings for a still shot every 10, 30, 60, and 120 seconds.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj