Gopro 4 focus adjustment

Reaction score
Hi all, Just became a P2 owner after starting my quad flying with Walkera products (Don't even get me started on that subject)...
So far over the moon with this thing, fitted the mini OSD internally with IRC600mw TX and all working perfectly..
I have a Gopro 3 but just getting the Gopro 4 and came across a video about adjusting the focal point of the Hero 3+ lens to dramatically improve the sharpness on the GP for aerial work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLdpSRMsEs
I was wondering if anyone knows as yet whether or not the go pro 4 has the same soft issue with infinity and if this mod will improve the GP4 as well.
Cheers.

Very interesting. I always thought my videos were pretty sharp on my GoPro + black. I may give it a try and see If I see a difference. I haven't purchased a 4 yet but probably will sometime.

The focus issue with the early GoPro 3+ was fixed by GoPro. All models after those made in the first months, should not have this problem. I would not expect the same problem in the GoPro4.
I think GoPro had set the focus closer in the GoPro 3+ since most of the cameras sold were being used for sports where the action was close up. They advertised that this new camera was much sharper than the GoPro 3, when in fact it was just focused closer.
After many user complaints, they changed their production methods. I don't think they ever officially admitted that the close focus change was intentional.
169 pages of discussion here:
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/differe ... 14637.html

I upgrade to GP4 Black and love the improved quality. But, YouTube and worse FB, have algorithms that seem to wash nonessential parts of the video out. I find the file perfect and then uploaded file oddly fuzzy in spots.

bschaub said:
I upgrade to GP4 Black and love the improved quality. But, YouTube and worse FB, have algorithms that seem to wash nonessential parts of the video out. I find the file perfect and then uploaded file oddly fuzzy in spots.

what do you do your video editing with? I just use GoPro Studio which has preset outputs for Youtube and Vimeo, they look great imo definitely never any fuzzy parts in the video

bschaub said:

Try encoding your video with H.264 and set your bitrate to 10. I've heard of using a higher bitrate, but I doubt it will improve your quality.

As for Facebook...forget about it...

CarlJ said:
Try encoding your video with H.264 and set your bitrate to 10. I've heard of using a higher bitrate, but I doubt it will improve your quality.

For best quality, you want to give Youtube a larger file to process. More data = less compression artifacts when Youtube encodes.

If you're interested in the best quality video from Youtube It makes no sense to "dumb down" your GoPro video to 10 Mbps.

See:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31