GoPro 3+ Blk and wifi repeater

Reaction score
I managed to get my GoPro 3+ Black to work through my linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt firmware on it. It is stable enough that I let it sit here until the battery was almost exhausted on the go pro. I took it out for a quick range check and it's better than the stock GoPro but not what I hoped (400 ft or so at least). I have 2, 7dbi antennas on mine. My testing was just walking up the road with lots of ground clutter in my neighborhood (cars, trees, etc). Will take it for a test flight shortly and see how it does with no obstructions.

At any rate, I know several tried to get that to work, some with success.

To get it to work, i used the repeater_bridge instructions on the dd-wrt site. I first used it to get my fc40 camera to work then made a few slight changes to get it to work with the GoPro.
I changed the Ip of the router to 10.5.5.10 with a gateway of 10.5.5.9. Changed wireless security to use the name of my go pro instead of FC40_xxxxx and security to WPA2 personal then put in my password for my go pro. On the client side, i just left no security for now. If i continue to use it, i'll make it the same as my GoPro.

I know the go pro is not great for FPV and I don't really want to use it for that. It however is good for framing your video's and photo's which is all i really want anyhow.

I'm hoping someone here with a better router (more power) running dd-wrt or similar will try it and share their findings as well.

I will report back with I find shortly when I go fly it.

I hope you find this useful,

Tommy

Well, my repeater tests were surprising.

I am using a wrt54g but it is only 71 miliwatts.

With my gopro paired with the repeater, I. Could only go about 30-40 yards before losing signal. I was using my iPhone 5s to view the preview.

I turned off the repeater and used just the iPhone with the gopro and could go about 400 feet or so. There are weak spots on the gopro. There are nulls in the antenna pattern on the gopro. Mostly from the sides. The video would drop but picked right back up most of the time.

This week I may get the amped wireless sr10000 repeater and try again. It is 600 mw and most have had great results with the fc40 camera using that repeater. Will try it with the gopro ASAP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.