Google maps

Reaction score
After I downloaded a map to my Ipad mini 2 I was not able to open the map, I could see the sample icon of the map but just could not open the full map I downloaded.
Any suggestions?

Are you referring to something in the DJI GO app?

Are you referring to something in the DJI GO app?
No I'm referring to my ipad mini 2, I don't have a phantom yet. After I download a map and name it I cant locate and bring it up. I've watched several you tube vids and followed it correctly to the point I can do the download but that's about it. Thanks

I downloaded the google maps app on my ipad mini2, then I picked a small area to DL, it showed that it loaded the map, just can't find it and open it?

I downloaded the google maps app on my ipad mini2, then I picked a small area to DL, it showed that it loaded the map, just can't find it and open it?
Ok. That doesn't have anything to do with your Phantom.

However, in the Google Maps app, touch the menu icon (the little three lines in the top left corner), and go to "Offline Areas".

Ya I did all that, I clicked on everything, NADA
If you are signed in to your Google account, then it sounds like it didn't actually download.

Note, however, that if what you said in your OP is true ("I could see the sample icon of the map but just could not open the full map"), that you cannot "open" the map there (or anywhere). It will just show up in the Google Maps app in the location.

But since this doesn't have anything to do with Phantoms, you might want to continue your query on an Apple forum for better assistance.

If you are offline, the map should be brought up automatically. I'm note sure but I think downloading a map may only save the roads. Again, I'm not 100% sure about this. Most people cache the maps before flying. Zoom into the area where you will be flying while in sat mode and scroll around the area. That display is then cached for at least several days and will display without a data connection.

If you are offline, the map should be brought up automatically. I'm note sure but I think downloading a map may only save the roads. Again, I'm not 100% sure about this. Most people cache the maps before flying. Zoom into the area where you will be flying while in sat mode and scroll around the area. That display is then cached for at least several days and will display without a data connection.
Downloading the map for "offline" use in the Google app on iOS will, in fact, download the whole map that is selected.

However, I will repeat, this has nothing to do with the Phantom.

On iOS, caching the map needs to be done in the DJI GO app. This is completely different from downloading the map in the Google Maps app.

On iOS, caching the map needs to be done in the DJI GO app. This is completely different from downloading the map in the Google Maps app.

I'd not be so sure that this is the case. I doubt Google allows any app to save their maps desperately. I also doubt that DJI has this type of license (certainly the 3rd party developers don't... and their apps do the same thing). These apps all use Google plug in's to display Google's maps. As such, it's very likely that the Google Maps are all stored in the same place for every app. I think it's very likely that a person can go into the Google Maps app, cache maps and the DJI Go app can then use that cache. Have you tested this or found some documentation to show that it can't be done?

When I am using my iPad mini, I have to cache my maps with DJI GO while connected to wifi. With Google maps, I could never get it to work. I did a job last week 45 miles away. Worked perfectly.

I'd not be so sure that this is the case. I doubt Google allows any app to save their maps desperately. I also doubt that DJI has this type of license (certainly the 3rd party developers don't... and their apps do the same thing). These apps all use Google plug in's to display Google's maps. As such, it's very likely that the Google Maps are all stored in the same place for every app. I think it's very likely that a person can go into the Google Maps app, cache maps and the DJI Go app can then use that cache. Have you tested this or found some documentation to show that it can't be done?
One more time. Caching the maps in the DJI GO app for use with the Phantom has nothing to do with the Google Maps app. You cannot cache the maps for iOS for the DJI GO app in the Google Maps app. You have to do it in the DJI GO app.

On Android, you can cache the maps in Google Maps and have them available in the DJI GO app. But you cannot do that in iOS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4