Google Maps Place Marking

Reaction score
HI all!

I'm working with my Phantom 3 Pro trying to figure out if there is a standard way or additional software that would allow me to drop pins on my maps while in flight? What im doing is flying our counties drainage ditch system looking for damage from the last weather event we had and id like to be able to snap a photo and drop place marking pins on the map to mark the damage. Is there a way to do this? I'm sure the photos i take have lat n long tags on them so maybe there's a way to extract that and place on Google Earth post flight? Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Keith

Hi, I'm not a techie but how about a workaround?
I use Litchi and you can drop waypoints on the fly by pressing one of the custom buttons.

The pin will give you precise lat and long of your points of interest.

Don't know if this helps.

Cheers,

Terence

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm working with my Phantom 3 Pro trying to figure out if there is a standard way or additional software that would allow me to drop pins on my maps while in flight?
Yes, every photo taken has position data in the exif data, this is the location of the drone, not necessarily what you are looking at unless you are shooting straight down.
What exactly are you wanting to do with the pins on maps?
Can you explain it in other words?

Yes, every photo taken has position data in the exif data, this is the location of the drone, not necessarily what you are looking at unless you are shooting straight down.
What exactly are you wanting to do with the pins on maps?
Can you explain it in other words?
Sure, Im marking the damage from the heavy rains on 350 miles of agricultural drainage ditches so we can 1. report the damage to FEMA for estimates on repairs and 2. come back and repair the damage later. The ideal situation would be that when the time comes to do the repairs i can simply go on google earth and navigate to the pins i dropped with the drone earlier.

Sure, Im marking the damage from the heavy rains on 350 miles of agricultural drainage ditches so we can 1. report the damage to FEMA for estimates on repairs and 2. come back and repair the damage later. The ideal situation would be that when the time comes to do the repairs i can simply go on google earth and navigate to the pins i dropped with the drone earlier.
OK ... no there isn't anything that will do exactly that.
But if you stop above every area of interest and tilt the camera down and take a photo you'll have location data for each one.
Like this:
i-H7gLW9v-L.jpg

I'd have to go up and make 100% sure but (as TarenceM stated) if you use Litchi you can drop points along the way. You'd then save the mission and you could then return and fly the same mission again or even modify it (save it with a new name so you don't accidentally screw up the original) to be more efficient (exclude non-damaged points of interest) for later flights.

I'd test and play with it around the house long before I went out into the field to put it into use LIVE.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl