Google cardboard 3d Glasses

I got a pair and it's fun for 360 videos on YouTube. To be honest as it uses a phone (I'm using a Galaxy S6) it's not great quality. I would not use them for FPV flights. Worth the money, which isn't much. Also very uncomfortable to wear.

I ordered a pair from china that took about a month to get here. They were 1.70 shipped off ebay!

They're kind of cool, I was hoping to use the lenses in another set of goggles but they won't work. Still kind of neat though. They work pretty good with some of the apps!

Definitely worth the 1.70!

Anyone tried the Google Cardboard 3d glasses yet? So very cheap to try and I wondered if anyone had?

Yes I know they are only really useful as playback tool :)

It does work well with the FPV camera app for the phantom 3 but the DJI go app doesn't support goggle mode.

I bought some bootleg VR goggles for 15 bucks on eBay. What you need is an app such as FPV camera that supports goggle mode. It does cost like $10 total but it's WORTH IT. It's so fun to fly with goggles!!

I ordered a pair from china that took about a month to get here. They were 1.70 shipped off ebay!

They're kind of cool, I was hoping to use the lenses in another set of goggles but they won't work. Still kind of neat though. They work pretty good with some of the apps!

Definitely worth the 1.70!

Read this post above

I am waiting on the Zeiss VR One to ship to me, it's backordered. Looks like these with the CloudLightFPV app are meant for each other. Hopefully the Zeiss optics live up to the expectations.

I am waiting on the Zeiss VR One to ship to me, it's backordered. Looks like these with the CloudLightFPV app are meant for each other. Hopefully the Zeiss optics live up to the expectations.

I looked up a video review on those, hope they are better than the review says they are. Zeiss have a very good, long standing, reputation lets hope they dont let you and themselves down. Please post back when you get them. I for one would love to try something like FPV eventually. Good luck, or should that be good look? :)

It does work well with the FPV camera app for the phantom 3 but the DJI go app doesn't support goggle mode.

I bought some bootleg VR goggles for 15 bucks on eBay. What you need is an app such as FPV camera that supports goggle mode. It does cost like $10 total but it's WORTH IT. It's so fun to fly with goggles!!

I should imagine it is. That why I want to get more proficient before I order some. Dont want to spend hundreds when a cheaper pair may work better. Problem being of course there are dozens to choose from. Sorting out the good from the bad is not easy. But willing to spend a few pounds to try some out. Any recommendations? ;)

Before I close is it possible to use my tablet as usual whilst someone else is wearing the googles? I cant see how though. Perhaps some sort of signal splitter or a take off from something else?

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Not quite as cheap, and I'm sure there might be other options, but I ordered this for another quadcopter of mine.
Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set with Monitor (KIT)

It's just a cheap styrofoam goggle set, with a slot for a small LCD screen in the front. It's meant to be hooked up to a video RX/TX system and it does for FPV for my other quad.

I wanted to try FPV on my phantom so I pulled the LCD screen out and taped my iphone to the front of it. It works great! It looks pretty ghetto... But it works great!

I wish it had a better lens than the fresnel lens it has now though. That's what I was hoping to use the Google Cardboard lenses for, but the two lens system doesn't work without having a split screen.

Here's my ghetto system...
8e1f5d1c6a3cb319156cfb139d539541_zpsxclvd5jt.jpg

Last edited:
FPV puts you in another world. The app is well crafted and dipsplays all the telemetry you need. You can also control the gimbal movement by tilting your head which is pretty cool. I highly recommended it

FPV puts you in another world. The app is well crafted and dipsplays all the telemetry you need. You can also control the gimbal movement by tilting your head which is pretty cool. I highly recommended it
What app controls the gimbal with tilting your head? Cloudlight?

What app controls the gimbal with tilting your head? Cloudlight?

Litchi has a mode for VR using the many google cardboard compatible googles, that tilts the camera on the P3s, and both tilts and rotates on the Inspire.

Also, DreamFlights will allow you to actually fly with head movement.
I have a copy of it, but have not yet had the chance (El Nino weather) to give it a try, but the free demo/simulator looks enticing.

I'm using the $35 VR Box with included Bluetooth controller, here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0190KKJVA?keywords=VR Box&qid=1453586453&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

After trying quite a few I found the VR Box to allow me to use my glasses and comes into focus very well for my farsighted aging eyes, and their well padded and very comfortable,unless you have a long nose, which might hit in the nose well.

But ... the way the padding is attached it allows you to add some spacer material behind the padding and the goggle's frame, to get more distance from the nose well.

Along with VR apps, it will work with to 'soon to be prolific' AR apps, as well.

It's been said that 2015 was the year of the drone, and 2016 will be the year of VR.
However .... some are calling 2015 the year of the broken bone, and flaming hover board! ;)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1