Goodluckbuy 2-axis Gopro 3 brushless gimbal tutorial/review

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I decided to jump in on this whole brushless gimbal nonsense. I found a fairly inexpensive gimbal and thought, "hey, why not lets do this..." I purchased it from ebay under the seller Goodlucksell for under $200.
Turns out its the exact same item as this...and the same seller...
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/2-axis-gopro ... aphy-.html

It took less than 2 weeks to arrive at my house in California.
8809654606_eb4b608c12.jpg

8809654538_940469cdf1.jpg

After examining it I learned it was a v3.0.1 Martinez board. It also had brushlessgimbal.de stamped on the back of the board.
Im assuming the motors are these...which are 14 pole (i opened up the motor and counted the magnets :lol: )
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/2208-brushle ... imbal.html
So I went to look up more information on this gimbal and came across http://code.google.com/p/brushless-gimbal/
I picked up firmware 048 and the GUI and tried to install the drivers for the board. Windows wanted to install some updated driver but after reading a post on another forum I learned I needed a much older driver. found here http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/brushl ... tinez.html

once I loaded those older drivers everything was good. I was able to flash the new firmware and check on the gyro, but the gyro was acting crazy...the lines were all over the place. Hours and hours went by until I read another post stating that the IMU sensor had to be mounted a specific way. This is how it was sent to me
8799077747_fcc867c693.jpg

after a few minutes i had it mounted properly
8809658958_8663c224e3.jpg

I plugged everything back up and...disappointment once again. the gyro wasnt acting crazy anymore but it seemed the motors had no life in them, there was power getting to it (3S 11.1v 450mah lipo) but it wasnt functioning properly.
For some reason when I hooked up the battery and the usb cable, then turned on the GUI, the gimbal came to life and was working on default 048 settings. So I thought I needed more juice, afterall, the Martinez board can handle a 4S 14.8v lipo. Next day I couldnt find a 4S lipo at my lhs but was suggested i run 2S 7.4v in series. I was concerned about the weight but I had no other option at that point and tried again. Nothing...same result.
Why oh why did this happen, did I blow my money on a dud. But it cant be...it works flawlessly with the battery and USB hooked up. What am I doing wrong...

Turns out I didnt leave the gimbal alone long enough...just like the Naza-M upon initialization it needed to calibrate itself.
So after plugging in the battery, I let the gimbal sit for 15 seconds before I did anything else. Now it works properly

(still had the USB connected in this clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C8IAATeXBs

ok next step...pitch control. I have not found much information on manual pitch control with a Martinez board. Im sure its on their forums but I cant understand German... :lol: But I came across tidbits of information. I will just give the easiest tutorial here
On the Martinez board locate the A1 and GND pins/hole in one of the corners. In this pic it is in the upper right hand
8809657164_f4f371accc.jpg

(BTW: does anybody know what the wire that is soldered in the bottom right is for? 2 wires goto those pins GND and 5V and 1 goes off to the chipset in the center...)

Solder 2 servo wires into it (I put the positive end to A1 and the negative end to GND)
8809655024_9dd7d134fe.jpg

hook up that newly soldered wire/servo to the F2 port on the Naza
8799072355_76176842c9.jpg

Thats all there is for the physical connections on a Martinez board to Naza. It might be the same for other controllers but this is my only brushless gimbal I've had and I have no experience on any other controllers.

Now to adjust the pitch control settings in Naza Assistant
Turn on gimbal...let it initialize and center itself
Hook up USB
Turn on Tx
Hook up battery into Phantom
screw around in Naza Assistant until the gimbal works...I went with these settings
8809674632_d9ced4ab48.jpg

Gimbal ON
Freq 400hz
Pitch servo travel limit Max 0 Center 0 Min -1000
Pitch gain 5.00

Now to test this, you need to access the 7th channel on the backside of the stock Phantom Tx.
heres a clip of the manual pitch control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMZQy0940v0

as you can see, it doesnt require much movement on the 7th channel to move the gimbal. fine tune the gain to your liking.
I am also ordering a 7th channel lever to make adjustments much easier
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1041193/ ... kit-1.html

Finally, I shot a quick video of the gimbal in action but I noticed something very worrisome. Upon hovering or descents the phantom would vibrate heavily. Now I have balanced props (using Du-Bro Tru-Spin prop balancer). I'm thinking the added weight of the gimbal + batteries smight have something to do with it. It is very dark right now so I will have to run some tests later.
basically I will remove the gimbal setup and see if the Phantom vibrates without it...then add the gimbal battery...then finally add the gimbal + battery. It might be due to a poor CG of the entire system, Im not sure...I was quick to get a sample vid of the gimbal working off of default 048 firmware settings.
http://youtu.be/5Y7Jkag3deY

its not the prettiest video and you get to see my ghetto launch pad. I forgot to mention... the gimbal sticks at least 1 inch beyond the stock landing skids... Im currently looking for another frame that will fit under (will keep the same motors/board/IMU though)
There is no post processing or stabilization in this video, its is completely raw straight from the microSD card. Phantom was in GPS mode, there was some wind going on. The gopro settings were 2.7k 30fps. It was a bit past sunset. The gimbal seems to work nicely. Left and right movements are stable and same with forward and back. The only thing bugging me is the vibration. This vibration doesnt occur when the phantom is moving but when I try to hover it appears. You can notice it in the video. If I can figure out the vibration issue Im sure the video would be very stable.

Until next time...

Re: Goodluckbuy 2-axis Gopro 3 brushless gimbal tutorial/rev

Good detective story, thanks for sharing.

Hello Windcharger,

First - thanks for all the info you posted in this thread, its very helpful.

I am about to order the same setup - this gimbal frame seems pretty good compared to some others, as it seems to allow a decent amount of space for roll.

How has it been holding up with your (martinez?) board & sensor? Did you sort out the vibration issue?

any advice is much appreciated!

If and when I end up with this setup, I'll update this thread with my experience

the vibration issue i was receiving was due to the added weight of the entire system. I havent had time to tune the gain settings on the phantom yet (pitch/roll/yaw/vertical) but will get to it this weekend.

Unless you have modified landing skids/feet, i would steer away from this particular gimbal frame as it is too large for stock landing skids. The Phantom has roughly 9cm of clearance from bottom of phantom to ground while this gimbal measures around 12cm tall.

The martinez board and sensor I received still work fine when I use a 4S lipo, but when I try to use a 3S lipo the gimbal doesnt do anything :|

thanks a lot for the response.

I heeded your advice, and ended up going with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FG-PH3-ARTF-3mm ... 1c3330b905

It uses a martinez board and has a decent review here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888136

I may end up trying to flash the alexmos software like the author of that thread did... but baby steps first...

It'll be a while before I get all my equipment (still gotta get the phantom), but I'll post a review after (probably in late june)

UPDATE:

So I've been waiting on various parts to arrive to try to make this gimbal work. As I've said before the largest issue I was having was a large amount of vibration when I had the phantom hover. I fixed this by ditching the crappy anti-vibration plates with the rubber balls, they were just too soft. I had a NoMoJello mount and just zip-tied the gimbal to it (ill find a better way of mounting it later)
8975478012_1f9f0162e1_z.jpg

Since this gimbal was taller than the stock clearance, I picked up some Phantomount Phantomfeet (http://rc-drones.com/RCD-PhantomMount-Legs.php). They have a variety of ways to attach them to get different clearance heights. I had to figure out a way to get the maximum space
8975478938_58ed8843ee_z.jpg

almost 2 whole inches! Now the gimbal fits without the IMU touching the ground
8975477166_e1e94b92fe_z.jpg

My gram scale came in so I wanted to know the total weight of everything hooked up...1145g for the Phantom + stock Phantom battery + 3S 11.1v 250maH battery for the gimbal + Gopro Hero 3 Black + phantomfeet. Figured I need to adjust the vertical gain so I bumped the Vertical Gain to 225%

Went outside for a quick test and was happy to see the violent vibration disappeared! Heres a quick raw vid where I realized theres a small amount of vibration present. This may be fixed by post-processing so right now youtube is converting it over. I suspect I have to tighten my NoMoJello mount a bit and reduce the slack. I also have some "balanced" carbon fiber props coming in (I'll have to put them on the prop balancer to verify) and I'm hoping that will reduce these micro-vibrations.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPzZtP39iD4[/youtube]

Firmware of the Martinez board was at the time of filming was 0.48 with default PID settings, max PWM @ 100
Currently "up-to-date" at 0.49B r61 with default settings.

thanks for the info!
I have ordered this gimbal a few days ago and am greatful for the valuable setup info!

in the above post you say you are running the gimbal on its own 3S battery.
Why not from the original phantom battery?

Originally I was powering the Gimbal on its own battery source, I've since resolved my power issues and moved to the 12v aux line on the phantom

9001261380_62b1777434_z.jpg

great to hear that it works on the AUX line.
What where your power issues? (just in case i run into them as well)

thanks

mainly all noob mistakes,
at first the gimbal would act all crazy, but that was due to the wrong installation of the IMU (this was prebuilt from china)
2nd, the gimbal needs the gopro installed on it before you plug it in, it needs that weight so it can balance itself.
then it was me being impatient with the gimbal and not letting it calibrate itself.

I can confirm that a 3S, 4S, or the 12v aux line will power this particular martinez board I have.

have you tried the gimbal without that white isolation mount? it looks like the gimbal comes with an isolation mount.

auck said:
have you tried the gimbal without that white isolation mount? it looks like the gimbal comes with an isolation mount.

I have and its horrible, I was getting way too much vibration. I think the rubber ball mounts it came with were too soft. After I put on the isolation mount it cleared up alot of it. Although I should properly balance my props and try the mount it came with again... :lol:

updated the firmware to 0.49B R69 w/ GUI
noticed a distinct motor whine so I lowered the P value on the pitch tab (different gui layout vs 0.48). Fiddled with the RC-max/min settings to test full pitch downward and it worked fine.
Of course this is all stationary on my desk, I'll test it out in the air tomorrow. I also cant seem to increase the speed of the gimbal during its transition, I've tried gain settings in the GUI as well as the Naza Assistant. If anyone has an idea please chime in

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbS-PsQuFjA[/youtube]

odd, I have the same gimbal and didn't have to move my sensor board at all.

windcharger said:
updated the firmware to 0.49B R69 w/ GUI
noticed a distinct motor whine so I lowered the P value on the pitch tab (different gui layout vs 0.48). Fiddled with the RC-max/min settings to test full pitch downward and it worked fine.
Of course this is all stationary on my desk, I'll test it out in the air tomorrow. I also cant seem to increase the speed of the gimbal during its transition, I've tried gain settings in the GUI as well as the Naza Assistant. If anyone has an idea please chime in

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbS-PsQuFjA[/youtube]

the speed of the gimbal as it tilts down is controlled by the gimbal software (not the NAZA! leave those gains at 0 )

in the gimbal GUI, there's a section called LPF/SPD, depending if yo have INC turned on or not, changing that settting up or down will increase/decrease the speed of the tilt down.

But looking at your video, trust me,. that might be as fast as you will ever want it

@remvideo - Whoever put together that gimbal in china did it wrong. Only after browsing the RCGroups forums I found out about the IMU placement.

@Gizmo3000 - Thanks, I'll take a look at the GUI again for that particular setting. I have a different gimbal now that still uses the v3 Martinez board but the speed of the pitch is still the same.

windcharger said:
@remvideo - Whoever put together that gimbal in china did it wrong. Only after browsing the RCGroups forums I found out about the IMU placement.

there is an option in the GUI which you can set if the IMU unit is face up or down.
didnt that help?

I just plugged it in, didn't change anything

there is an option in the GUI which you can set if the IMU unit is face up or down.
didnt that help?

it wasnt even facing the proper direction! The X axis was pointing to the sides instead of forward :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20