Good method for balancing self-tightening props

Reaction score
I don't know how widely known it is, that the Dubro prop balancer could be adapted to balance the self-tightening props, but in case you haven't seen it here's the video describing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdVa0jWowI

I already had a prop balancer, but was not able to adapt it to the Vision props, so I bought the Dubro. I have to say, it works great. I buy my CF props from an eBay seller, who has gotten good reviews on past sales, and was shocked to find how unbalanced they were. I will continue to buy from this seller, but will always check the props before flying with them.

As a matter of fact, I think any prop used should be balanced, whether it's a DJI prop or some off-brand. This may just fix some squirrely bad flying characteristics some people experience with their Phantoms.

As I recall there's a video on YouTube that explains why #1 you don't need a balancer and #2 if you do you're buying props from the wrong source.

From my own experience with paddle fans (yes, it relates, stay with me here) blade stability issues can often have more to do with flexing or bending rather than weight balance. A prop that gets bent in the case or by rough handling or from trimming the lawn on landings can act out of balance when it is actually encountering its own uneven prop wash.

Back to the paddle fans for a moment: in responding to warranty claims for paddle fans for many years (I had the local warranty service center) it was found that a simple flex of the blades to bend them so that they would travel at the same distance measured from the ceiling eliminated most fan wobble cases. 20+ years later I still find that to be the case with the fans in my own home when they occasionally start the wobble dance.

But I've heard that the carbon fiber blades are less susceptible to bending issues. I'm currently testing that theory on one of my Phantoms.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic