Good Luck Buy gimbal pitch control

Reaction score
Im new to the forum. Ive had a Phantom 1 for about 1.5 yrs and a GLB gimbal for quite a while as well. Just today, I decided to hook up the pitch control because I would like to be able to point the GoPro looking straight down. I use the balance port for gimbal power. I used one wire for the control and I can adjust the pitch from the controller now. The issue I have is that the camera will not point straight down. It goes to about 45 deg angle down and will go up high enough to be looking towards the body of the Phantom. The gimbal has always worked fine and but Im not sure if I have something put together wrong or what. In the Naza assistant in the gimbal section, you can change the servo travel limits. 1000 or -1000 is the biggest number it allows. The min for f2 is -1000 and this makes the camera point down the most (45 deg angle down) if I raise that number to -500 or whatever, the camera straightens out and points more forward. If it would just let me change that number to -1500 I would have it made, lol. Anybody know what I need to do to get it to point straight down? I dont know if it matters but I did calibrate x1 in the RC tab. Thanks

If the Naza did not work, then you might consider to look at the pitch setting of GLB Gimbal using BGC as shown below.

Thanks. That is what I needed. Next issue, when I point the gimbal all the way down it has a really fast vibration. When I point it back up a bit the vibration stops and then when I go back down it goes back to vibrating. Sometimes it doesnt vibrate. Sometimes it will be fine for a bit and then start vibrating. I cant see any mechanical issues with binding up. Any ideas? Thanks

Thanks. That is what I needed. Next issue, when I point the gimbal all the way down it has a really fast vibration. When I point it back up a bit the vibration stops and then when I go back down it goes back to vibrating. Sometimes it doesnt vibrate. Sometimes it will be fine for a bit and then start vibrating. I cant see any mechanical issues with binding up. Any ideas? Thanks

Check the cable for the motors or IMU. When the gimbal is tilted too down, there is a possibility that the cable is not long enough or get tangel and will cause the gimbal to vibrate.

Cameras should be very secure on gimbal cradle. It may not seem loose but even the smallest movement sends mine into vibro mode.

Hard to get Velcro straps tight enough. I use large fat rubber bands usually found with Broccoli.

Reactions: SilverStone641
Likewise Ti22. I use thick lacky bands and also small velcro pads made with 3m adhesive tape on the back for extra confidence. Worked well so far

Reactions: Ti22
Had same issue I went through naza and stopped it just before the twitching began. I'm not directly facing down but fairly downwards.good enough for me. I doubt have the BGC installed so I didn't want to get technical with it. Works for me

Next issue, when I point the gimbal all the way down it has a really fast vibration. When I point it back up a bit the vibration stops and then when I go back down it goes back to vibrating. Sometimes it doesnt vibrate. Sometimes it will be fine for a bit and then start vibrating. I cant see any mechanical issues with binding up. Any ideas? Thanks

I have the same problem; in my case the issue are the wires coming out from the IMU board that go in contact with the Pitch motor case: is a small contact, but sufficient to have the gimbal vibration.
Another possible issue is that in full horizontal position the IMU "feels" either the wires or the case of the roll motor.
If none of those is your case, another reason can be that the pitch motor does not give enough torque to balance the camera weight when in full horizontal position. You can try to increase a little bit(not more than 5 by 5) the pitch POWER parameter in the "Base" label of the SIMPLEBGC GUI: the default should be 140 for the roll and 90 for the Pitch: try to insert 95/100/105/110 in the Pitch POWER and see if there is any change

I need to get a plug for that link for gimbal right?
If you mean the connection from a PC to the gimble, you need a mini-usb cable(unless your gimbal is more than 2 years old:in this case you need u USB to serial adapter).
Important!!! Always POWER ON THE GIMBAL BEFORE CONNECTING THE USB CABLE and disconnect the USB cable BEFORE powering off the gimbal. If you fail to do this while gimbal motors are connected , you have a serious risk to damage the gimbal electronics, because the current to drive motors is sink by the usb port that is not designed to support such a current. The alternative is to disconnect the gimbal motors cables, but I do NOT recommend this.

Then you have to install the gimbal driver: you can download from here:

USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers | Silicon Labs

Finally you have to install the graphic interface software (GUI): you can download from here:Normally the version that works is the 2.2B2.

Downloads for 8-bit boards : BaseCam Electronics

If the 2.2B2 version does not work, try with a more recent version, but DO NOT upgrade the gimbal firmware.

Last edited:
Thank you so much I was looking for this info for awhile. Thank you for it.

Much appreciated gianniBT. I've been wanting to connect PC/Mac for a while now and this helped me better understand the process.

Reactions: kjar211
I have a question not properly related to pitch control, but to the GLB gimbal.
Did anybody buy spare rubber damping balls for this gimbal?

Can you post the link or the model?

Thanks

I have a question not properly related to pitch control, but to the GLB gimbal.
Did anybody buy spare rubber damping balls for this gimbal?

Can you post the link or the model?

Thanks
I searched eBay for Gimbal balls and found many that should work just fine.

gimbal balls | eBay

Are some harder/softer and/or heavier than others? Sure, but other than the weight it doesn’t really make much practical difference IMO.

My P1 came with a CF (carbon fiber) camera mount which also used those balls so when I bought my aluminum GLB gimbal to save weight I used the CF mounting plate screwed to the Phantom and whatever balls were lightest when compared on my kitchen food scale.

For your situation I’d either ask the seller of the Gimbal for replacement balls or just buy a few cheap sets and sort through the ones that work best for your application.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan