Good Idea For Not Being Harrassed???

Reaction score
So I will have my 107 Certificate Test this upcoming Thursday.

I know PICs often get "harassed" by people, whether law enforcement or not, and since I look Middle Eastern, I expect I will probably be "harassed" more than others. (I often get stopped by police when I am just walking down the street taking photos with my pro Nikon gear.)

Anyway, does anybody have any good ideas about avoiding harassment when you are flying legal?

I am thinking of getting a bright yellow vest and a white hard hat and printing on the back of my vest my 107 certificate number so it would say in big letters, something like:

Federal Aviation Authority Permitted #12345678

Because it isn't a lie, it would be my permit # issued by the FAA

Basically, what can I do when I am on a job (and flying legal) to make it LOOK LIKE I BELONG THERE so I don't have to deal with neighbors and bored local law enforcement?

Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but I am a real estate photographer and I have had neighbors call the cops on me when I am photographing a house from the ground. So I expect once I am putting a UAS in the air I am going to have to deal with it a lot more.

Thanks in advance.

I use my Mavic Pro, because it is small and stealthy. I take off out of sight of people, I am distant from what I want to capture on video or photograph, and I bring it back and land out of sight of people. It's sad that I have to take these measures. But maybe your idea of being completely out in the open and clearly marked will work better.

Maybe add a magnetic decal on side of your vehicle, i.e., company name or name of realtors you work for. Easily removable and free advertisement to-boot.

Reactions: Just Mark
So I will have my 107 Certificate Test this upcoming Thursday.

I know PICs often get "harassed" by people, whether law enforcement or not, and since I look Middle Eastern, I expect I will probably be "harassed" more than others. (I often get stopped by police when I am just walking down the street taking photos with my pro Nikon gear.)

Anyway, does anybody have any good ideas about avoiding harassment when you are flying legal?

I am thinking of getting a bright yellow vest and a white hard hat and printing on the back of my vest my 107 certificate number so it would say in big letters, something like:

Federal Aviation Authority Permitted #12345678

Because it isn't a lie, it would be my permit # issued by the FAA

Basically, what can I do when I am on a job (and flying legal) to make it LOOK LIKE I BELONG THERE so I don't have to deal with neighbors and bored local law enforcement?

Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but I am a real estate photographer and I have had neighbors call the cops on me when I am photographing a house from the ground. So I expect once I am putting a UAS in the air I am going to have to deal with it a lot more.

Thanks in advance.
I wear a Bright Yellow vest from my Grandpa's construction company when I'm flying in publicly visible places. I have figured out that people leave you alone when you look "Official" :) . Once I'm in the air; it just looks like I'm a surveyor or something. Just staring at some instrument or something. Brilliant! It has been working for me. I used to have a problem with lookyloos.

Lots of Cannibis farmers in my area. I think they all know that I'm not trying to spy on them now. I actually got to talk to a few of my local farmers and they are actually pretty cool. It IS legal in my state for recreational use so that cuts a lot of suspicions down i guess.

Reactions: Just Mark
Maybe add a magnetic decal on side of your vehicle, i.e., company name or name of realtors you work for. Easily removable and free advertisement to-boot.
I was thinking of that, but then someone said that makes your vehicle even MORE of a target for thieves to break into it.

But if I just put the decals up on site, that might be a good idea.

I wear a Bright Yellow vest from my Grandpa's construction company when I'm flying in publicly visible places. I have figured out that people leave you alone when you look "Official" :) . Once I'm in the air; it just looks like I'm a surveyor or something. Just staring at some instrument or something. Brilliant! It has been working for me. I used to have a problem with lookyloos.

Lots of Cannibis farmers in my area. I think they all know that I'm not trying to spy on them now. I actually got to talk to a few of my local farmers and they are actually pretty cool. It IS legal in my state for recreational use so that cuts a lot of suspicions down i guess.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I never thought about the growers. I am in Northern California and while I don't know the legal status offhand, I realize now that COULD be an issue.

For the most part though, where I am at, I would probably have to deal with people who you might refer to as "overly affluent" and who are concerned about privacy / safety.

Reactions: JetLife
Move to Arizona, a no permit open and concealed weapons state. People tend to not harass one another over anything down here.

Reactions: JetLife
Salute returned, Aye! I got to know and love the SeaBees when I was stationed with them in Port Huneme, Ca. As an EO; you were probably in Hawaii right? Cool. Peace.

Write TNT on some road flares and attach them to that vest, you will be left alone for sure.

I am paranoid so would definitely have the VHF scanner to monitor traffic.

That's not paranoid -- it's smart. I also monitor local police and fire/rescue -- If there's a chase, search, medivac, large fire, etc there will be a helicopter in that area.

I also monitor FlightRadar24.com to become familiar with local air traffic. You can tap and plane on the map to see their altitude and other info.

You can't be too careful!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan