Good bye HERE MAPS hello Google maps

Reaction score
ANDROID DEVICE ONLY.

If you're looking to scrap HERE MAPS and get Google maps back you're in luck.
Unfortunately this only works with a rooted device.

Download "disable service" in the app store.

Once open click on dji go 4 and UNCHECK here maps, close app.

Open dji go 4, you will get a warning about here maps disabled.

When disabled dji go 4 reverts back to it's original maps which is Google maps by default.

I can do a screen recording of the steps if anyone would like.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
GREAT. Thanks... There are so many reasons to use a rooted device, in addition to deleting all the manufacturer and carrier bloat which the phone is wasting it's time on. There is a way for rooted users to circumvent the forced DJI Go update too.

Reactions: uavflyr and Jimmers
Grrrr. It's not letting me upload a screen recording.
Yes for sure. Runs much smoother with all the bloat ware and system apps removed.

Rooted devices have "root" level / admin access to the system folders, which are hidden and or read only. These areas include the operating system folders, which the disable service app in the play store probably requires in order to disable the here maps service.

It's a linux thing :)

Reactions: Jimmers and uavflyr
What exactly did you mean by rooted device?
Sorry for late reply but jbrown630 explained it perfect.
Rooted devices have "root" level / admin access to the system folders, which are hidden and or read only. These areas include the operating system folders, which the disable service app in the play store probably requires in order to disable the here maps service.

It's a linux thing :)
Bang on. Thanks

ANDROID DEVICE ONLY.

If you're looking to scrap HERE MAPS and get Google maps back you're in luck.
Unfortunately this only works with a rooted device.

Download "disable service" in the app store.

Once open click on dji go 4 and UNCHECK here maps, close app.

Open dji go 4, you will get a warning about here maps disabled.

When disabled dji go 4 reverts back to it's original maps which is Google maps by default.

I can do a screen recording of the steps if anyone would like.

Enjoy.

Is this still a working option with the latest DJI GO app for Android?

This may seem a bit of a crazy question to ask , but, has anyone asked DJI to allow 'US the CUSTOMERS' which maps we would prefer? Surely there must be an easy way to have a system to choose what we want, especially as there is now (it seems) a 'work around' to get over it. If we had the choice then we would be more happy customers, don't you think? Rather than having it poked down our throat. After all we are all paying for it and in many cases we bought a system that was using the mainly acceptable google maps I believe.

What do you think?

Still working for me on a Nexus 7 2013.
Before I attempt this work around I have a question. Does using Google Maps allow me to use my device (Shield K1) when off line without having to cache the map area where I intend to fly?

I'm trying to do this HERE MAPS exit on my tablet (ACER ONE 10, works fine with the P4), but as I still have problems with chalk and a slate I'm having difficulties. When I go into the disable app there is DJI 4 (fine), when I go into that I see the Maps label and try to disable it, if I just touch it (fairly quickly) I get a small banner saying 'Failed to gain root access'. If I hold my finger on the label for longer the whole line turn blue and on the top of the tablet screen it says Done, but it means the service is 'ON'. In fact whichever I briefly touch says 'Failed to gain root access. How do I get it to switch 'OFF' please.:(:confused::mad: Does this mean it's not a 'Rooted device' (whatever that is) or is it something I can change somewhere:)

I'm trying to do this HERE MAPS exit on my tablet (ACER ONE 10, works fine with the P4), but as I still have problems with chalk and a slate I'm having difficulties. When I go into the disable app there is DJI 4 (fine), when I go into that I see the Maps label and try to disable it, if I just touch it (fairly quickly) I get a small banner saying 'Failed to gain root access'. If I hold my finger on the label for longer the whole line turn blue and on the top of the tablet screen it says Done, but it means the service is 'ON'. In fact whichever I briefly touch says 'Failed to gain root access. How do I get it to switch 'OFF' please.:(:confused::mad: Does this mean it's not a 'Rooted device' (whatever that is) or is it something I can change somewhere:)
Your device must be rooted. Go to the top of this thread and read the steps on how to root your device.

Thanks 'Flying Circles' for your input, but, (call me thick if you like) I can't see steps to 'ROOT' my tablet??? I've read again all 17 posts, some mention 'ROOTED' but no one says do this, that, or the other. ????

:(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31