Gonna buy a new laptop..... suggestions?

Reaction score
Here's my current configuration. I owned a P3 Pro and when I played the 4k video back on my laptop I got a lot of stuttering and it didn't really play back good. Long story, short..... Because of work I'm going to upgrade my laptop. Do you guys suggest any particular laptop? Maybe something with a better processor or video card? I'm open to anything!

upload_2015-8-17_23-30-55.png

Your trouble, @Huskerfan, is first the crazy insignificant amount of memory. And second a likely a mediocre video card. You likely have no codecs installed to assist in video playback either.

In my opinion, Apple products are for followers. PCs are for leaders! What are you planning to do with the laptop?? Real video editing and post processing? Or just cutting/pasting video to make your final products?

Your trouble, @Huskerfan, is first the crazy insignificant amount of memory. And second a likely a mediocre video card. You likely have no codecs installed to assist in video playback either.

In my opinion, Apple products are for followers. PCs are for leaders! What are you planning to do with the laptop?? Real video editing and post processing? Or just cutting/pasting video to make your final products?
Ya, I know. This is about 2 years old and not for video editing or anything.
Yes, I'd like to edit video and produce a final product via some video processing software. This is the one I like. What do you think?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9095406&Sku=VSU-102510646

We're on the same page. Yes, price is an extreme issue. I'd rather be around 700-900. that one you suggested is an i7 with a little better video card and bigger monitor. Otherwise, similar.

I just want to make sure a i7 Asus with 8gb ram, 1tb hd, nvidia gt 850m video card will be able to process the 4k video we get from the P3 Pro? I think it will but would like confirmation.

The thing I dont like about the Asus is that it gives no memory specs for the video card. And the processor is on the slow side for an i7
The Alien 15" series cheapest model is about $1100. 2 gig video and 50% faster processor

A laptop,to me, is an investment. If you go cheap you have to replace it soon. If you go big, it will last years! The last one I bought cost me over $6000, but it was out-performing its replacements for better than 6 years. Its now almost 10 and still does VERY well!

I keep my laptops no more than about 3 or 4 years..... But what you're saying does make sense.

But for the sake of argument... the Alienware you speak of has a i5 4210 processor for $1199 and the Asus I mention is a i7 4700

BUT these are the specs for the Alienware.... (Dual-Core, 3MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

There are no specific specs I can find for the Asus but one would suggest that if the processor is an i7 4700 it would be better than the Alienware? no?

I really appreciate you responding but for $400 ($799 vs. $1199) wouldn't the Asus be just as good if not better than the Dell? Gosh, some times I hate myself for being so obsessive compulsive!

If you did go that route, I would order the 16Gb of RAM and do the Windows 10 upgrade.

I surprised that no one else has said anything here. Everyone has their opinions. Maybe its just too late?

Hey, cool links! Thanks a lot for your help!

Edit: ya, I'm going to bed myself. [emoji3]

Dell XPS 14. Great playback. Also consider Final Cut Pro if you want to take your video editing to the next level

In my opinion, Apple products are for followers. PCs are for leaders!
Let's not start a hate thing . I have both ran Pc's for long time they are good for a month then down hill . Been through 8 PC's and one Mac that I bought 3 years ago still running like day one . Running 3 27" monitors and play 4k with no problem . I'm not a fanboy but there stuff works . It's not cheap and them trying to force you how to use your machine is my problem with Mac but there are was around that .

Let's not start a hate thing . I have both ran Pc's for long time they are good for a month then down hill . Been through 8 PC's and one Mac that I bought 3 years ago still running like day one . Running 3 27" monitors and play 4k with no problem . I'm not a fanboy but there stuff works . It's not cheap and them trying to force you how to use your machine is my problem with Mac but there are was around that .
I stated an opinion.. it wasnt presented because I cared if you liked it. Almost any computer can run any number of IPS displays with $50 video cards. Hardly an amazing accomplishment.
My 8 year old T7400 churns out 4K edits all day without skipping a beat. But thats not the point here. The point was assisting someone in coming up with a computer to solve HIS problem. Anything Apple, capable of anything worth talking about, would far exceed his price range. And my opinion of Apple guided me in my suggestions. Call that wrong all you want. That's just the way it is.

I stated an opinion.. it wasnt presented because I cared if you liked it. Almost any computer can run any number of IPS displays with $50 video cards. Hardly an amazing accomplishment.
My 8 year old T7400 churns out 4K edits all day without skipping a beat. But thats not the point here. The point was assisting someone in coming up with a computer to solve HIS problem. Anything Apple, capable of anything worth talking about, would far exceed his price range. And my opinion of Apple guided me in my suggestions. Call that wrong all you want. That's just the way it is.
You the man ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20