Go pro setting to reduce jello.

Reaction score
Forgive me if already posted. Has anyone tried setting locking the exposure in protune to try and mitigate the jello effect? Is this possible? I have a theory and you can correct me if i'm barking up the wrong tree. i think at least part of the problem is that the auto setting keeps trying o adjust for the exposure while in the air. Be gentle as I don't yet own a gopro and I'm not familiar with the works of the camera. Has anyone tried this and what degree of success?

Ozzyguy said:
Forgive me if already posted. Has anyone tried setting locking the exposure in protune to try and mitigate the jello effect? Is this possible? I have a theory and you can correct me if i'm barking up the wrong tree. i think at least part of the problem is that the auto setting keeps trying o adjust for the changing white balance while in the air. Be gentle as I don't yet own a gopro and I'm not familiar with the works of the camera. Has anyone tried this and what degree of success?

You're way off base.White balance has nothing to do with rolling shutter artifacts (aka jello).

Ozzyguy said:
Please only adult responses.

My response was factual and indisputable.

You'll need to work through that on your own. I can't help you with your emotional issues.

I just ordered a gopro neutral density filter. Hopefully that will help me with my slight jello problem and I'll let you know.

30fps tends to be a bit better than 60fps, but it's almost always something to fix with the physical mount. I still have jello on mine, so I can't tell you what completely eliminates it.
I don't see how whit balance will affect it, maybe exposure can. I hadn't thought of that, but it may be worth drinking with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not need to make any special effort to lock the focus on a GoPro (it is a fixed=focus camera).

You cannot lock exposure on a GoPro. They are fixed aperture cameras. They automatically adjust shutter speed to adjust the exposure. The exposure can be influenced by the max ISO setting (GPHB3+), by the exposure compensation setting (GPHB3+) or by limiting the amount of light that passes through the lens (ND or CP filter).

When people add ND filters, it lets less light into the GoPro, slowing the shutter which kind of helps "blur" the jello.

But honestly, the goal is to remove the cause of jello in the first place.
make sure your props are balanced, and then try to get mount or gimbal that reduces it even further.

If you're not shooting with a gimbal, I highly recommend one.
i have absolutely no jello at all with my Tarot gimbal, it's amazing what a difference those little rubber balls do.

Jermz said:
30fps tends to be a bit better than 60fps, but it's almost always something to fix with the physical mount. I still have jello on mine, so I can't tell you what completely eliminates it.
I don't see how whit balance will affect it, maybe exposure can. I hadn't thought of that, but it may be worth drinking with.

Actually the film maker blogs that I've been reading recommend a faster frame rate to reduce jello. So they say, because of the way the GoPro records an image (line by line), and the movement of the Phantom (& camera of course) during that scan you get a frame blending effect and that is jello.

They don't recommend the ND filter to reduce jello, but for rolling shutter.

I use a Phantom 2, GoPro 3+ Black Edition, and H3-3D gimbal.

Our first flight with that setup, we had VERY bad jello. Like, unusable footage. Then we fitted in the anti-interference board INSIDE THE P2, screwed inside the P2 where DJI recommends (NOT velcroed or adhesived onto the underbelly of the aircraft). Result--almost zero jello. Maybe a tiny bit if you looked really hard. GoPro is unmodified, using medium FOV, 48fps, nothing special about the settings.

To get rid of the last bits of jello, we bought a cheapo neoprene tablet cover at a dollar store, and cut out four "washers" to insert between the gimbal and the underbelly of the aircraft (just to give it a little last "cushion"). Final result--no jello whatsoever. See for yourself the result, which was taken on a windy sunny day (you can see the wind strength in the flag waving and trees).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAu6C78p94Y

So if you're having jello with your GoPro setup on a P2, I'd suggest installing the anti-interference board PROPERLY and maybe adding some neoprene washers. I don't think it's anything to do with GoPro settings. If you're still getting jello after that, then it's got to be something else--maybe props unbalanced, I don't know....

CarlJ said:

"jello" is just another term that describes rolling shutter artifacts in video. They are the same thing.

CarlJ said:
Jermz said:

Actually the film maker blogs that I've been reading recommend a faster frame rate to reduce jello. So they say, because of the way the GoPro records an image (line by line), and the movement of the Phantom (& camera of course) during that scan you get a frame blending effect and that is jello.

That may be part of my issue then. I'd thought I read lower frame rate, but I must have misremembered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers