Go Pro probably the biggest threat to our Phantoms?

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im pretty new here :) However I'm quite a tech savvy guy who has gone from some expensive craft and decided the P2 is just a amazing bit of kit with the Zenmuse :D. I always looked at horror storys with the P1 and stayed away during my early days of Quads and went the usual DJI F450 upwards and wasted money trying to get a good balance. I work in Media and have access to GoPros for quite a while. I love the action cams i really do BUT in my WORK ...ive lost count of the returns or faulty units over the years ive had to send back for warrantee issues . ... Please bare with me here ha im on No 3 of my PERSONAL GP3 issues. My 2 previous cameras had charge issues and just died and i got the the point that pulling batteries and hard reseting just wasn't acceptable in remote locations and defeated the whole object of them being a action camera!! I kicked a fuss and had a refund from the seller..NOT GoPro....So last month i bought another personal GP3 with whole intention of using on the P2. Had a few issues with the Zenmuse not charging the GP3 and read a few topics here with "Work arounds" ...again always down to the **** go pro. well today my Go Pro experience hit the limits!!! Lol.

Once again im left with a GP3 that is dead...wont charge after hard resets battery swaps usual tricks that im used to doing. So I'm annoyed and i did something i never did during work problems with GoPro issues i had the spare time to Google issues like mine...and OMFG ....Remember the Xbox 360 Red ring of death DEFECT! well lets just say Go Pro are probably knee deep in defects or worse after spending a few hours trying to sort my problem!! The sheer amount of trouble with the GP3 is just overwhelming!! Mine is Dead wont charge....ive accepted the fate its just junk again...but reading through NON flight related forums...as Phantom pilots we have some problems!!! Sirens have been ringing when I've been reading people worried that there WIFI turns itself on and drains the battery etc...they are just worried about battery life. People charging via USB 1.1 cables and having issues then resetting...which automatically sets WIFI on again. The list is endless!!

As pilots using DJI products and Go Pro cams we need to be careful! here is the official tech support reply to my issue of a dead GP3...

If your camera doesn't power on after charging and it's a HERO3 camera, take a look at the back red LED. If it's dimly lit, remove/reinsert the battery and try to power on the camera. You may need to do this up to 10 times before the camera powers on.
If you're still unable to get your camera to power on, you can contact GoPro Customer Support.

..10 times...really ha

I have a hero 3+ black and have ZERO issues. Wifi has never turned on, never froze, etc...

It's like you are talking about a completely different camera.

I have a Phantom 2 w/GoPro Hero 3+, Phantom 2 Vision and a Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

Definitely prefer the Plus. I hate that I can't frame still shots with the GoPro and then switch back to video. The Plus is definitely a Phantom2+GoPro killer in my book.

The only benefit, for me, with the Phantom 2+GoPro is the extended range and better FPV abilities.

I've owned GP3's since they first came out and have had zero issues with them. Many early problems were caused by memory cards not living up to the rating quoted.

jimmybonsaville said:
Hi guys. Im pretty new here :) However I'm quite a tech savvy guy who has gone from some expensive craft and decided the P2 is just a amazing bit of kit with the Zenmuse :D. I always looked at horror storys with the P1 and stayed away during my early days of Quads and went the usual DJI F450 upwards and wasted money trying to get a good balance. I work in Media and have access to GoPros for quite a while. I love the action cams i really do BUT in my WORK ...ive lost count of the returns or faulty units over the years ive had to send back for warrantee issues . ... Please bare with me here ha im on No 3 of my PERSONAL GP3 issues. My 2 previous cameras had charge issues and just died and i got the the point that pulling batteries and hard reseting just wasn't acceptable in remote locations and defeated the whole object of them being a action camera!! I kicked a fuss and had a refund from the seller..NOT GoPro....So last month i bought another personal GP3 with whole intention of using on the P2. Had a few issues with the Zenmuse not charging the GP3 and read a few topics here with "Work arounds" ...again always down to the **** go pro. well today my Go Pro experience hit the limits!!! Lol.

Once again im left with a GP3 that is dead...wont charge after hard resets battery swaps usual tricks that im used to doing. So I'm annoyed and i did something i never did during work problems with GoPro issues i had the spare time to Google issues like mine...and OMFG ....Remember the Xbox 360 Red ring of death DEFECT! well lets just say Go Pro are probably knee deep in defects or worse after spending a few hours trying to sort my problem!! The sheer amount of trouble with the GP3 is just overwhelming!! Mine is Dead wont charge....ive accepted the fate its just junk again...but reading through NON flight related forums...as Phantom pilots we have some problems!!! Sirens have been ringing when I've been reading people worried that there WIFI turns itself on and drains the battery etc...they are just worried about battery life. People charging via USB 1.1 cables and having issues then resetting...which automatically sets WIFI on again. The list is endless!!

As pilots using DJI products and Go Pro cams we need to be careful! here is the official tech support reply to my issue of a dead GP3...

If your camera doesn't power on after charging and it's a HERO3 camera, take a look at the back red LED. If it's dimly lit, remove/reinsert the battery and try to power on the camera. You may need to do this up to 10 times before the camera powers on.
If you're still unable to get your camera to power on, you can contact GoPro Customer Support.

..10 times...really ha
wow , i must be lucky we have 10 gopro 3+ 5 hero 3 , 10 hero2 they get used every day of the week for security work , touch wood we have NEVER had a problem with any of them they are a great camera
pete

Aside from a lot of user dissatisfaction when the earlier Hero3's were released prematurely with crappy firmware (that was eventually updated), there hasn't been too much negative postings about GoPro's being bad.

I personally like being able to shoot video and stills at the same time. (or have the ability to shoot 2.7k or 60fps)

The OP needs to rename this thread, "Go Pro probably the biggest threat to MY Phantom" ;) I've never heard of GoPros being generally threatening to anything, let alone a Phantom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.