Go Pro Hero3 & Fat Shark Goggles?

Reaction score
Another quadcopter enthusiast I know suggested that because I already have a Go Pro, a set of Fat Shark Goggles needn't include the camera. Is that true? Can I use the Go Pro with Fat Shark products? And if so, can I record video at the same time?

Chezedog said:
Another quadcopter enthusiast I know suggested that because I already have a Go Pro, a set of Fat Shark Goggles needn't include the camera. Is that true? Can I use the Go Pro with Fat Shark products? And if so, can I record video at the same time?

Correct, the fat shark systems do not include a camera. You can use your gopro wiht the fat shark (I do that). All you need to do is buy a cable that connects the fat shark transmitter to your camera (or make your own).

You can record while flying....just hit the record button on your gopro before taking off =)

Hi, I ordered the Predator V2 and that kit seems to include a camera. (http://www.fatshark.com/product/1719.html) I plan to use the gopro in any case, I would like to hear more what kind of cable I should be looking for? I guess, I cant use the nice gopro housing then since there is no room for any cables? How did you attach it?
kind regards
/J

I would like to hear more what kind of cable I should be looking for? I guess, I cant use the nice gopro housing then since there is no room for any cables? How did you attach it?
kind regards
/J

Jakester, This is exactly the kind of situation men look for, to add to their tool supply without upsetting the wife.

But honey, just how was I supposed to make a clean slot in this nice plastic housing, without a milling machine ?

(Probably works best on one that didn't go to an accredited college) ;)

GoPro does make a skeleton housing, that might work okay, or for only $700 more, you can get a Zenmuse gimbal.

The milling machine is looking pretty good now. :D

Re: Go Pro Hero3 & Fat Shark Goggles?

Audaciter said:
Only reason why I was able to have my CNC vertical mill inside my garage.....no wife! :D :D :D

But apparently you could use a band saw, to separate frozen hamburger patties. ;)

Bahahaha :)

This is the cable I use, eBay item #271212195264. Tho this is only a short term solution for me, I plan to use a breakout board on the gopro bus to run video out, and mic in :)

That cable plugs straight into my gopro (duh) but the other end was also a direct for to my VTX! To easy

socman said:
Chezedog said:

Correct, the fat shark systems do not include a camera.

The Predator kit does come with a little camera, so it's a full ready to go system.

If you buy the slightly nicer goggles, the Attitude SD, they do not come with a camera (or a battery) so you have to use your GoPro as a camera with an extra cable like this one[1] or buy a different compatible camera.

The Attitudes are supposed to have a better picture than the Predators, and are newer, so could be a better investment, but I've not use the Predators or Dominators to compare.

[1] http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1295

If you buy the slightly nicer goggles, the Attitude SD, they do not come with a camera (or a battery)

Hobby King U.S warehouse has Turnigy nano-tech 2s 7.4v 1000mah batteries for $5.65 ea. Compare that to almost
$40 for the FatShark brand, which nobody seems to have in stock.

Audaciter said:
If you buy the slightly nicer goggles, the Attitude SD, they do not come with a camera (or a battery)

Hobby King U.S warehouse has Turnigy nano-tech 2s 7.4v 1000mah batteries for $5.65 ea. Compare that to almost

or do what i did, I just made my own cable to use one of my phantom batteries for the goggles.

socman said:
Audaciter said:

or do what i did, I just made my own cable to use one of my phantom batteries for the goggles.

Interesting. What is involved in doing that?

buy the connectors (barrel plug from like a radio shack, XT60 connector from local hobby shop or online).
Get some wire (red and black perferably), and shrink wrap (protects solder connections and also makes it look nice).

Solder the connectors to the wire....simple as that. I actually made my cable like 4-5 feet long. The batteries you buy for the Fat Shark's are designed to be strapped to your head. Not sure about most, but that makes me a little uncomfortable.....

just make sure if you make your own cable that you solder it correctly...or you risk letting the smoke out of your battery and/or fat shark goggles.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20