Go Pro 3 silver without gimbal?

Reaction score
I've seen GP mounts without gimbals. But they have no anti jello suspension. What do you guys who dont want/need a moto-gimbal use for your GP3s?

And while I'm on the topic, isn't the only reason to have a GP3 Black and not a GP3 Silver the remote control for the camera? Cant I use an Iphone/IPad app and save $100?

You can use something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251266416586?ss ... 1423.l2649

That's the lightest one I've seen, and the most expensive of it's type.

The GP3 Black has 12 MP compared to 10MP for the Silver, and has higher video resolution also. And yes, the Silver has wifi that you can use with the GoPro app for FPV on a iphone or ipad.

Thanks Woody. Those are some serious looking castle nuts in that first pic.
If all it takes is two pieces of material and four rubber barrels, I can prob make one myself.

BTW, Do the Go Pros have good wifi range? I keep reading conflicting tales of wifi woe.

2014fc40 said:
Thanks Woody. Those are some serious looking castle nuts in that first pic.
If all it takes is two pieces of material and four rubber barrels, I can prob make one myself.

BTW, Do the Go Pros have good wifi range? I keep reading conflicting tales of wifi woe.

horrible range and a good second to 1.5 sec of lag.
I have been unable to extend the range with DDWRT or an extender bought from the store

Well that doesn't sound good....I'm not going to drop $400 and give up WIFI.

But now I see why people are using both. One to take pretty pictures and one to SEE.

What happened to the Go Pro claims of great wifi range?

2014fc40 said:
Well that doesn't sound good....I'm not going to drop $400 and give up WIFI.

But now I see why people are using both. One to take pretty pictures and one to SEE.

What happened to the Go Pro claims of great wifi range?

that is my problem right now.
On the cheap, I velcro the FC40 camera to the battery door and use the FPV from that.
However, I am following a mod to use an old AR Drone motherboard and camera to mount on my gopro (next to the lense) and use THAT as my FPV cam.

The idea is to give me the closest lined up view possible while also being able to use the gimbal.
The bonus is that I get a mini OSD from the ARDrone app

I just ordered an SJ4000 (GoPro knockoff) for $100 delivered. I'm going to rig up my own mount and use it for video and the FC40 for FPV mounted using velcro/3M. I'll post my results when I get around to it.

The two year old Hero 2 that I'm still using suits me fine. No wifi but the 11 MP photos are much better than the FC40 photos. I've tried FPV with the FC40 camera but it was hard to see the screen outside in the sun and I like to keep my Phantom in plain sight anyway so I don't use the FC40 camera anymore. (for sale in classified section)

Yep I'm plain sight too. Cant stand to not see frontal direction. BUT, the wifi to an IPad2 is awsome. Im working on a tripod box setup, shields the sun. I'd like the 1080P though. Its too nice not to want.

Yep, Yep, Yep.

BTW, what do you do with the GP3? Just start it running and go fly? I cant possibly use an IPhone while I fly to see things. It doesn't work for me. Sometimes a copilot can be using an IPad2 to give me direction. Fly by view has a long way to go.

I'd like to think we are generating the future of it.

2014fc40 said:
BTW, what do you do with the GP3? Just start it running and go fly?

If you're asking me that question, you mean GP2? I use time lapse and just fly around the subject from different heights and angles. It's hit an miss, but out of hundreds of photos per flight I always get what I was aiming for. And the photos can always be straightened and cropped later so it doesn't always have to be level or framed perfectly to be usable.

Ohary said:
I just ordered an SJ4000 (GoPro knockoff) for $100 delivered. I'm going to rig up my own mount and use it for video and the FC40 for FPV mounted using velcro/3M. I'll post my results when I get around to it.

I find the SJ4000 is hardly affected by jello unless the motors are working really hard.
That's on a P1 using the gopro mount and cradle that came with it.
I think you could use the sticky mounts and clips that come with the SJ4000 without necessarily needing any wobbly rubber bits.

4wd said:
Ohary said:

I find the SJ4000 is hardly affected by jello unless the motors are working really hard.
That's on a P1 using the gopro mount and cradle that came with it.
I think you could use the sticky mounts and clips that come with the SJ4000 without necessarily needing any wobbly rubber bits.

Excellent! Good to know, I'll give it a try without the wobbly rubber bits. ;)

I just learned about the SJ4000 from you guys. Looks like a good option. Def a knockoff. Sort of a GP without WIFI.

I like to see some video results when someone has the time to post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20