Gluing Stress Cracks - Baking Soda Trick

Reaction score
He guys. I've always had pretty good luck with gluing stress cracks with my P2 and now with a couple small ones I found on my P3P.

I know there are many methods like epoxy, super glue, etc. But super glue alone has always done the job for me and it doesn't require the expense or messiness of mixing epoxy.

I'm curious how many of you have tried the super glue and baking soda trick. My dad turned me on to this method as he's done it on his phantom.
This is not a tricky or complicated fix by any means, but it does seem to be a great solution as it quickly hardens and "cements" the super glue almost instantly. You can also sand it down smooth if that's important to you.

I have a crack to glue today so I wanted to see if anyone here would benefit from a short video on this. If not, I won't bother making the video. But if anyone feels it may help them, I'm happy to do so.
Again it's not complicated but sometimes the visuals help.

Just let me know brothers.

Do it up! I have two P3Ps with lots of miles and one never knows when the cracks will happen. It would be nice to see a video.

Sent from my PT beating heart

video please

Definitely :)
I use gorilla glue on mine but the baking soda trick is new to me.

Been doing it for years works great . I have never done it to my phantoms but would if I had to .

thanks for vid

Here you go guys

Here is the finished result. I could sand it down more but I'm not extremely concerned with the aesthetics. I hope this helps!

d8a96b23df63c6974b81b7f148851787.jpg

So the baking soda makes a good filler... Nice :)
For gluing my camera mount back together, the gorrila glue made a perfect seamless connection. It didn't need filler.

So the baking soda makes a good filler... Nice :)
For gluing my camera mount back together, the gorrila glue made a perfect seamless connection. It didn't need filler.

Not so much for filler as it is a hardener. Makes it like cement almost instantly. Like a rock

Reactions: Reed L
Not so much for filler as it is a hardener. Makes it like cement almost instantly. Like a rock
Actually it does sort of make it a filler. The baking soda not only acts as an accelerator, but it gives the mix enough volume and "tooth" to work as a filler. I know a woodworker who will mix sawdust with the baking soda and glue to act as wood putty. And if you really want to get creative, you can color the baking soda with liquid dye, let it dry back out, and you then have a colored filler for wood or plastic.
You can google a DIY on coloring the filler/glue if you are interested.

Thanks for the videos, it was a good reminder of this trick!

Reactions: Reed L
Actually it does sort of make it a filler. The baking soda not only acts as an accelerator, but it gives the mix enough volume and "tooth" to work as a filler. I know a woodworker who will mix sawdust with the baking soda and glue to act as wood putty. And if you really want to get creative, you can color the baking soda with liquid dye, let it dry back out, and you then have a colored filler for wood or plastic.
You can google a DIY on coloring the filler/glue if you are interested.

Thanks for the videos, it was a good reminder of this trick!

Thanks for the input! May try that on a couple other house projects [emoji4]

I have used the baking soda and super glue for years on my wooden propellers on my ultralights and Paramotor. Several k's of revolutions and it holds up great!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues