Gloves for flying

Reaction score
Has anyone tried battery powered gloves? Would they cause EMI with the drone controller?

I use gloves if its chilly, but just how cold is it where you fly ?

Right now it’s not to bad, but it will be below freezing in a month or two.

Need to be very careful flying in those temps. It's imperative that you keep your batteries warm.

PLUS gloves will not allow you to do touches on the screen (leather- vinyl- jersey cotton)....they have to have some thing on the tips that make that able...as the tips of the gloves have to be made of the same material as a stylus pen touch point !......You don't want to take them off to do screen taps do you....Like in the Go App......or Litchi check this check that ect.

I cut the trigger finger off a old pair leather gloves and im happy with only one finger getting COLD !

Haven't heard of or tried battery powered Gloves. What I have found is that even with gloves that are designed to work with a touch screen, they often don't work well in the cold weather and its hard to hit small targets (camera button, settings, etc). I like the Stylus idea that MotorCycle-Man mentioned. I think that would be a workable solution in cold weather since you could have warm gloves on and still use the Stylus to hit the tiny targets. Last winter, I tried using touch screen compatible gloves, but they were thin and my fingers froze just as if I had the gloves off. I ended up having a chemical warmer in my pocket and took off the gloves when I needed to do fine movements or touches. Still got cold though.

Today it was 2ºC (36ºF) for most of the day, so I too am starting to think about winter flying. I already have a Turnigy battery warmer which works well. Last winter my coldest flight was around -23ºC (-9ºF) and this year, I plan to fly much more in winter weather. The biggest limiting factor to flying in cold temps is having my hands exposed getting the AC ready for flight and using the touch screen on my iPhone.

Chris

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I'd love a pair of actively warmed gloves but I've not found anything remotely useful for UAV work. I don't think EMF is going to be much of an issue, more of the bulk, lack of sensitivity and difficulty using touch screens.

What I have been doing recently is making a 'bag' out of heavy fleece (from the local crafts store) that covers base of the RC. It is loose enough that you can move the sticks and manipulate the buttons without difficulty. This, along with a pair of fleece finger tip-less climbing / bicycling gloves seems to be a reasonable balance between comfort and utility. The monitor fits through a slot. Still not optimal.

I keep spare aircraft batteries in my pants pockets to keep them warm. A rocket in the pocket, so to speak.

Touch gloves are plenty on eBay ... but doubt could be found with heating as well. But you can buy warmers in fishing / hunting shops ...

I use thin gloves with touch tips ... good for about 15 - 20mins in winter here ... we get down to -25C or lower ... any longer than that - my hands are in my pockets !!

Battery warmer ? I have a Turnigy LiPo warming sack ... runs of a 2S / 3S or 12v source ... user setting for temperature.

Nigel

Touch gloves are plenty on eBay ... but doubt could be found with heating as well. But you can buy warmers in fishing / hunting shops ...

I use thin gloves with touch tips ... good for about 15 - 20mins in winter here ... we get down to -25C or lower ... any longer than that - my hands are in my pockets !!

Battery warmer ? I have a Turnigy LiPo warming sack ... runs of a 2S / 3S or 12v source ... user setting for temperature.

Nigel
Last winter, I used thin gloves with touch tips but I found my hands got cold almost as fast as just my bare hands. Also, I use my iPhone 7 to fly so the screen is small and the buttons are small too so it was more trouble with the gloves on to hit the small buttons. Since the P3S controller does not have separate buttons for the camera (photo and video button) all of the camera functions/settings must be done on the iPhone touch screen. I did use hand warmers to warm up my hands between flights or when the AC was doing automated pano shots (in Litchi). I'm seriously considering the stylus alternative but just have to figure out how to attach it to the controller so that it is easily and quickly accessible (velcro??) so that I don't have to dig around in my pocket for it when needed and can keep warm gloves on. I am looking forward to the winter and am hoping to be better prepared for flying so that I can fly in almost any temperature.

Chris

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I’ve worked in temperatures as low as -40 degrees (which balances out the same as Centigrade and Fahrenheit). And that’s COLD. For stills photography, using manual focusing of wildlife lenses and manual exposure, you need thin thermal gloves and warm fingers that can quickly adjust camera controls - especially for a fast-moving wildlife setting such as wolves in Yellowstone. So operating a drone would be similar or easier.

I use the disposable hand warmer sachets. They come in pairs and last approximately eight hours. One sachet is enough as it can be alternated between gloves, with emphasis on your right hand (assuming you’re right-handed). Unless you’ve got a bad batch (which I’ve read about but never personally experienced), this method isn’t going to let you down as it’s manual. I wouldn’t trust the battery-powered gloves without a back-up because what can go wrong will go wrong. If you buy the sachets in bulk from Amazon, they’re cheap.

I also have a bigger pair of thermal mittens - good quality - as “over gloves” for times when it’s extra cold and when moving to new locations on foot. But they have to be removed whenever you need to be ready waiting for action.

I’m used to working outdoors in challenging winter conditions for several weeks at a time, from before dawn until after sunset. Yes, we’ll work from a vehicle - but most time is spent outside waiting for that special moment of action as it would be criminal to miss a rare/special opportunity. I’m now in my early 60s and so feel the cold. And with a wonderful younger wife and two other lovely women (also younger), they keep me fit so there’s no blubber on my body for insulation. The above combination of gloves and hand-warmer sachets works. I continue to drink Coke with ice cubes in the coldest of conditions, as my beverage or refreshment of choice.

PLUS gloves will not allow you to do touches on the screen (leather- vinyl- jersey cotton)....they have to have some thing on the tips that make that able...as the tips of the gloves have to be made of the same material as a stylus pen touch point !......You don't want to take them off to do screen taps do you....Like in the Go App......or Litchi check this check that ect.

I cut the trigger finger off a old pair leather gloves and im happy with only one finger getting COLD !

I have a pair of gloves that have a flap and a slit in the index finger and thumb so you can stick your finger out when flying and the flap covers the slit when you're not. They are listed as being for photographers on Amazon.

What many of us have used is the larger handwarmer taped to the bottom of our "phone", "tablet" to keep it warm. Hand warmers in my mittens and on the tablet works well for me all winter.

Has anyone tried battery powered gloves? Would they cause EMI with the drone controller?
What many of us have used is the larger handwarmer taped to the bottom of our "phone", "tablet" to keep it warm. Hand warmers in my mittens and on the tablet works well for me all winter.
I think that fingerless gloves are good I use them for clay pigeon shooting in the winter they are good

I don't know what fingerless gloves you have in mind.
To cut the tip of one or two fingers (what MotorCycle-man said) is just fine and I've done the same with some old gloves.

But what bothers me is how you guys fly in that cold environment with temp. of -20 or so. The manual says not below zero!? I know that this might be too restrictive but below -20 ! I would not do that. For photography this is OK but for drones...?

Haven't heard of or tried battery powered Gloves. What I have found is that even with gloves that are designed to work with a touch screen, they often don't work well in the cold weather and its hard to hit small targets (camera button, settings, etc). I like the Stylus idea that MotorCycle-Man mentioned. I think that would be a workable solution in cold weather since you could have warm gloves on and still use the Stylus to hit the tiny targets. Last winter, I tried using touch screen compatible gloves, but they were thin and my fingers froze just as if I had the gloves off. I ended up having a chemical warmer in my pocket and took off the gloves when I needed to do fine movements or touches. Still got cold though.

Today it was 2ºC (36ºF) for most of the day, so I too am starting to think about winter flying. I already have a Turnigy battery warmer which works well. Last winter my coldest flight was around -23ºC (-9ºF) and this year, I plan to fly much more in winter weather. The biggest limiting factor to flying in cold temps is having my hands exposed getting the AC ready for flight and using the touch screen on my iPhone.

Chris
I don't have to worry about those kind of temperatures as I am in the U.K. North Wales I hope there are others on here from my country

But what bothers me is how you guys fly in that cold environment with temp. of -20 or so. The manual says not below zero!? I know that this might be too restrictive but below -20 ! I would not do that. For photography this is OK but for drones...?

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but I have had no problems with either of my drones flying in cold weather. The only problem I experience is that the gimbal pitch control on my Spark does not work smoothly or won't move at all at first but usually frees up as the flight continues. I have never had any control problems with either drone in sub zero temps. I follow all the rules and keep my drone in sight at all times whether cold or not. Here in Canada there are no rules against flying a drone in cold weather. Besides, some of the most beautiful opportunities for photos/videos occur in the winter months. I have a battery warmer to keep my flight batteries warm, and I monitor my phone closely.

The only real issue flying in cold weather is staying warm but there are lots of options for that and the reason for this thread.

Chris

I’ve worked in temperatures as low as -40 degrees (which balances out the same as Centigrade and Fahrenheit). And that’s COLD. For stills photography, using manual focusing of wildlife lenses and manual exposure, you need thin thermal gloves and warm fingers that can quickly adjust camera controls - especially for a fast-moving wildlife setting such as wolves in Yellowstone. So operating a drone would be similar or easier.

I use the disposable hand warmer sachets. They come in pairs and last approximately eight hours. One sachet is enough as it can be alternated between gloves, with emphasis on your right hand (assuming you’re right-handed). Unless you’ve got a bad batch (which I’ve read about but never personally experienced), this method isn’t going to let you down as it’s manual. I wouldn’t trust the battery-powered gloves without a back-up because what can go wrong will go wrong. If you buy the sachets in bulk from Amazon, they’re cheap.

I also have a bigger pair of thermal mittens - good quality - as “over gloves” for times when it’s extra cold and when moving to new locations on foot. But they have to be removed whenever you need to be ready waiting for action.

I’m used to working outdoors in challenging winter conditions for several weeks at a time, from before dawn until after sunset. Yes, we’ll work from a vehicle - but most time is spent outside waiting for that special moment of action as it would be criminal to miss a rare/special opportunity. I’m now in my early 60s and so feel the cold. And with a wonderful younger wife and two other lovely women (also younger), they keep me fit so there’s no blubber on my body for insulation. The above combination of gloves and hand-warmer sachets works. I continue to drink Coke with ice cubes in the coldest of conditions, as my beverage or refreshment of choice.

Thank you for sharing.

I am a drone pilot as well as paraglider pilot. In paragliding, hand freezing is even a more serious problem since pilot has to hold his hands in half upright position, so blood circulation is poor and the hands get cold way quicker.

I am looking for battery powered warming gloves. There are plenty online, it's nothing new and I would say, It's not even kind of "Hi-Tech". Also, since there are many people having different kind of disorders like Raynauds syndrome or scleroderma, there should have be an off the shelf solution for cold hand problem!

The principle is as simple as any heater we have in our household. It basically consists of resistive element, a battery and a controller in between. The problem though is the complexity to implement that heating element into a glove that have to be flexible, thin, comfortable and save. Good news is that there are many manufacturers around doing that:

Heated clothing

Our Gear - Blaze Wear Heated Clothing

GT6 Heated sports glove [GT6-01] - €149.90 : Blazewear Italia

I have found even some comparison of different type of battery heated gloves: Comparatif gants chauds, moufles, et gants chauffants

Here is a good thread of paraglider pilots forum about heating glove topic:

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=p572371

What I have found interesting is a LINER type heating gloves that you can use under your ordinary gloves. They are thin and therefore be used not only for paragliding (Liner + outer gloves) , but also for drone piloting (just Liner gloves).

Liners Blazewear X1”are here: Heated Gloves - Blaze Wear Heated Clothing

I am going to order these liner gloves and use them for Paragliding, Drone piloting and anywhere else I get my hands cold.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1