Glare Issues on iPhone & iPad Screens-Looking for Ideas

Reaction score
Hello fellow PP friends, I finally received my professional P3, awesome performance so far. I am having the same glare issues when viewing monitor from video feed during the day, now I actually feel I am missing out on one of most significant advancements with the Light Bridge high def feed. I use both my iPhone 6 and my iPad Air, both are very difficult to see during daylight hours. I am looking for any ideas on how I can mitigate this issue. I have a hood for my PV2+ that works "OK" at best. As always, any assistance on how to improve my viewing experience would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brad

You'll never eliminate the glare. Only true way is w/ glasses/goggles, which requires an HDMI out.

You'll never eliminate the glare. Only true way is w/ glasses/goggles, which requires an HDMI out.
not always available-- but I try to find a shade tree to stand under-- last weekend found a tree, parked under it and sat in my pickup -- visibility was great on my ipad air. I did get a hood for the ipad today for amazon which may help a bit.

Thanks, as I mentioned I have a hood that fits the PV2+ controller, it helps a bit, however, when you are staring into the sky viewing the PV2+ then switch to look at the monitor it just doesn't provide much assistance. I was hoping someone out there on PP had found a anti-glare device to put on the screen. Ideally it would be able to come off and on when needed. I have level set my expectations that nothing will remove the glare but there has to be a product that at least gives you a material improvement. I have an issue with DJI not having a proprietary technology that reduces glare as it practically renders the whole benefit it hangs it's hat on of having 780p viewing from Lightbridge useless when you can barely see the screen unless you happen to find a shade tree or some other unreliable means for viewing in most conditions. I won't get into the black and white diagonal pixeling that appears quite frequently when you are ~400ft away...not a huge issue since I can barley see the screen anyways. I will stop bitching and start searching for a solution. I just wanted to see if anyone had already found a product that reduced glare, not eliminated, although that would be nice :)

Regards,Brad

Thanks, as I mentioned I have a hood that fits the PV2+ controller, it helps a bit, however, when you are staring into the sky viewing the PV2+ then switch to look at the monitor it just doesn't provide much assistance. I was hoping someone out there on PP had found a anti-glare device to put on the screen. Ideally it would be able to come off and on when needed. I have level set my expectations that nothing will remove the glare but there has to be a product that at least gives you a material improvement. I have an issue with DJI not having a proprietary technology that reduces glare as it practically renders the whole benefit it hangs it's hat on of having 780p viewing from Lightbridge useless when you can barely see the screen unless you happen to find a shade tree or some other unreliable means for viewing in most conditions. I won't get into the black and white diagonal pixeling that appears quite frequently when you are ~400ft away...not a huge issue since I can barley see the screen anyways. I will stop bitching and start searching for a solution. I just wanted to see if anyone had already found a product that reduced glare, not eliminated, although that would be nice :)

Regards,Brad
I am also working on a better solution-- I took the new ipad hood out today and could see the top half of the screen but had a glare on the bottom of the ipad--- going to make a cloth hood that will drape over the ipad like the hood photographers used on the old time wood box cameras. That will probably do the trick. If it works, I will have a seamstress cut out and make the exact dimension that will work out of lightweight black cloth for the inside and a lightweight white cloth for the out side. I will keep you posted how that works out.

The diagonal lines can be turned off in the app-- they or there for overexposure warnings. You can also use the right knob to adjust the exposures in flight and dial the lines out.

I recommend getting an umbrella girl.

dsc_0913motogpcota2014.jpg

I fly with Bodyguardz pure -anti glare tempered glass screen protectors! LOVE THEM. They are almost crystal clear but reduce the mirror like glare. I just got my used ipad mini today in the mail and found it almost impossible to fly with. I switched back to my iphone 6+ and the difference was HIGHLY significant. I also have one for my old Ipad 3. I ordered the protector for my mini today as well. They're pricey but worth it. Also you get discounts as a repeat customer. Here is a link to the mini 2 and 3.
http://www.bodyguardz.com/screengua...en-protectors-covers-shields-skins-films.html be sure to get the anti glare version!!!

I fly with Bodyguardz pure -anti glare tempered glass screen protectors! LOVE THEM. They are almost crystal clear but reduce the mirror like glare. I just got my used ipad mini today in the mail and found it almost impossible to fly with. I switched back to my iphone 6+ and the difference was HIGHLY significant. I also have one for my old Ipad 3. I ordered the protector for my mini today as well. They're pricey but worth it. Also you get discounts as a repeat customer. Here is a link to the mini 2 and 3.
http://www.bodyguardz.com/screengua...en-protectors-covers-shields-skins-films.html be sure to get the anti glare version!!!
This reminds me of when I shopped for my big-screen TV. My #1 priority was a non-glare screen because the TV is in a room with many windows. In the stores, the reflection of ceiling lights overwhelmed the TV image in many other models.
Are there any compromises in image quality with the Bodyguardz anti-glare protector? Loss of brightness?

This reminds me of when I shopped for my big-screen TV. My #1 priority was a non-glare screen because the TV is in a room with many windows. In the stores, the reflection of ceiling lights overwhelmed the TV image in many other models.
Are there any compromises in image quality with the Bodyguardz anti-glare protector? Loss of brightness?

There MAY be a little bit of loss due to the angle of light refraction, but compared to all other anti-glare protectors, it's minimal. As we all know, Iproducts really aren't that bright outside in the sun anyway. Overall, it has made the difference between being able to fly and see or staying grounded. They made these NOT to have brightness loss thus the "PURE" in their name- its completely clear.

If it is too bright, get a yard of black cloth and drape it over your head and controller-- it cuts out the glare and you can see every thing clearly. It is easy to pull off it you have to see your drone to locate and/or land it. I have the sunscreen on my ipad and use the head cloth also.

If it is too bright, get a yard of black cloth and drape it over your head and controller-- it cuts out the glare and you can see every thing clearly. It is easy to pull off it you have to see your drone to locate and/or land it. I have the sunscreen on my ipad and use the head cloth also.
HA!! NINJA Phantom Pilots!! Love it!

Reactions: bobmyers
After much debate, research and soul searching.... I've decided to buy the bodyguardz anti-glare glass protector.... I've got a hood type sun shield on my Fc40 FPV monitor and really don't want it for my P3P. I want something lite and will work w/o a bunch of add ons. I've got a similar screen protector on my iPhone 6plus (though not officially anti glare) and it's manageable at 3pm sunlight (slightly to side) as long as sun is not to my back.
Btw- there is a 10% coupon code on the net, plus you get free shipping and no tax. This helps with the large price tag....well a little[emoji22]

After much debate, research and soul searching.... I've decided to buy the bodyguardz anti-glare glass protector.... I've got a hood type sun shield on my Fc40 FPV monitor and really don't want it for my P3P. I want something lite and will work w/o a bunch of add ons. I've got a similar screen protector on my iPhone 6plus (though not officially anti glare) and it's manageable at 3pm sunlight (slightly to side) as long as sun is not to my back.
Btw- there is a 10% coupon code on the net, plus you get free shipping and no tax. This helps with the large price tag....well a little[emoji22]
Be sure you ordered the PURE Anti-glare as that is the one that has no tint to the glass!

I finally found something that works for me........................all you need is a yard of cloth and it will get rid of the glare.

blanket-head.jpg
That is what I suggested in post 11, it works great!

Hi guys

I saw this thread and thought I would add what I did from quite some time ago with my sun shield that I made. I just flew my Phantom 3 today and I think I might do this to it even though it stops me using the touch screen. I made a funnel type box out of black correx. Its light, cheap and has a matt finish. The funnel taper goes the other way to most I have seen. so basically its biggest at the screen and smaller as it comes towards your eyes. I just held the radio with the screen in place and drew imaginary lines from the 4 corners of the screen back to my eyes and stopped my fingers (for the top corners) and thumbs (for the bottom corners) where I would want the hood to stop. This will give you how big this end of the shield should be. You can check with one eye at a time to get a better average and make sure you see the full screen with both eyes. You can also angle the screen slightly so that any light that does manage to get though this small opening cant reflect back out towards you. So basically the screen must not be square to the smaller opening but should bounce into the inside of the sun shield. Some velcro strips on the end of the hood and on your screen if you do want to take it off quickly. I cant get light on my screen if I try, only thing I have to do is take my sun glasses off and I can see clearly. 90% of my shoot time is FPV so I need to have a clear view.

Hope it helps someone
Jase

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers