Gimble Protector

Reaction score
I just purchased a new aluminum gimbal protector for my P3A off Ebay. I have noticed that after installation that the clearance gap is roughly 1/16". It looks to be too wide and would still allow some separation of the joint in a crash situation. Is this something to worry about?

I just purchased a new aluminum gimbal protector for my P3A off Ebay. I have noticed that after installation that the clearance gap is roughly 1/16". It looks to be too wide and would still allow some separation of the joint in a crash situation. Is this something to worry about?

You'd not want the metal to touch as it would then cause a bind when the camera attempted to move. The joint is held together by very strong magnets. If the two parts separate only slightly, the magnets will pull them right back together. So that gap is fine. You are only attempting to prevent the two halves from separating completely which allows the electrical ribbon to be torn and/or the camera to become detached and lost.

I ordered one off of amazon that I'm returning due to a very excessive gap. I bit the bullet and ordered the one from Killer RC.

Gimbal protectors are a "feel good" item that one thinks will protect and save everything upon crashing. Reality is if your crashing, that little piece of carbon fibre or aluminum or steel or some freaky alien created metal will not stop your camera from ripping from its mount and getting damaged! If the gimbal protector was paramount in gimbal protection don't you think DJI would have provided the $.50 item in the box or designed it in the P3! The only thing a gimbal protector will do is make the P3 tip if you have an emergency landing onto a small object- pebble, stick, etc.

Gimbal protectors are a "feel good" item that one thinks will protect and save everything upon crashing. Reality is if your crashing, that little piece of carbon fibre or aluminum or steel or some freaky alien created metal will not stop your camera from ripping from its mount and getting damaged! If the gimbal protector was paramount in gimbal protection don't you think DJI would have provided the $.50 item in the box or designed it in the P3! The only thing a gimbal protector will do is make the P3 tip if you have an emergency landing onto a small object- pebble, stick, etc.

I think we are talking about the gimbal saver so the pivot arm does not separate on a minor crash. I get the whole tip over issue with the bottom guard.

But the gimbal saver might protect it from separating in a minor crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20