Gimbal Woe

Reaction score
So it would appear that I'm among the lucky folks who is experiencing issues with the gimbal. I received shipment of my P2V+ two weeks ago, and have flown several times with absolutely no issues...flying. The issues arise when I actually try to use the camera/video. First, when I took this thing out of the box (brand new), popped in a battery, removed the clips from the cam/gimbal, the gimbal made a buzzing noise...then it cocked side to side a few times. OK...I think to myself, I'm new to this, so maybe this is normal.

I charge things up, upgrade firmware, and do all of the necessary things prior to first flight (which was in Phantom mode). The bird flew perfectly. I snapped a few still pictures with no issue...great pics. Later the next day, I took it to a friends house to show him my new/latest obsession. Again, everything worked great...photos only. I got home and noticed that one of the pics was of my left skid. It was a bit windy, so I chalked it up to the Phantom pitching and me snapping a picture at the same time.

I finally got a chance to go shoot some video yesterday. I've also switched from Phantom to NAZA. First, every time...and I mean EVERY time I began shooting video, I would drop satellites and my bird would just start drifting away in the wind (in GPS mode). The moment I would turn recording off, the sats would come back and it would go back into GPS hover. Also, every time I would try to shoot video, within a minute of recording, the camera would start having seizures...like it did when I first took it out of the box. Of course, this makes the video useless. I've also determined that the pics I've taken in which the left skid is visible is due to the camera/gimbal freaking out.

I've done the mod where you tuck the wire under the shielding in the top of the Phantom, and added additional aluminum shielding (with non-conductive tape on the electronics side). This did, indeed help with acquiring satellites more quickly, but I haven't really noticed any other significant improvements.

I have a call in to the folks from whom I purchased the Phantom (Aces Deals) to see what my options are. I'm sort of beginning to wonder if I should've gone with the Phantom 2 Vision with HD3D gimbal instead of the Vision Plus. I'm HOPING that I can just swap gimbal/cam units without sending the whole kit and caboodle back as that sounds like a giant pain in the posterior to do. I dunno...I'm a bit frustrated since this whole foray into quad photography and video has not been a smooth exercise. Thanks for listening to me complain.

Are there any other things I can try? I'm making sure I'm not flying near power lines or cell towers, or places in which rebar and the like would have any negative effect on my flying. I'm making sure that I'm in wide open areas for optimal satellite reception. Antennae and range extender are aligned correctly. I really don't know what else to try...I think the gimbal is simply toast. With regard to GPS reception...any suggestions? Sorry for the long post. In person, I'm a very quiet guy but when I get a keyboard in front of me I tend to ramble. So, sorry for the manifesto. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20