Gimbal will not startup or move. Pls help

Reaction score
Hello,

So I recently crashed my standard from about 10 feet. The drone itself is fine except the gimbal roll motor broke. I replaced the motor, everything looks fine. I start up the drone and the gimbal light flashes but the gimbal doesn't move. The Go app says "gimbal gyroscope error" I have calibrated the IMU.. Nothing changes. So I buy a new ribbon cable from f-stop labs. Replaced fine. But I broke the black tab off the ribbon connector(digging myself into a deeper hole.) so I put a piece of paper in their with the connector to make it fit snug, the copper connections are facing up with no obstruction. So I think all is good. But NOTHING changes . So I try to update the firmware but nothing happens, it gets stuck
At 9% so I close the app and start over. (Bad decision?) now it won't even reach 1% (ugh) I really don't know what to do. Am I out $500 with a neat paper weight???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Also, the camera gets kinda warm now, i don't know if it did that before. I'm just saying that because it shows that the camera is getting power

Update: I have it powered on and gimbal attached and as I move the gimbal around with my hand it reacts but very very underpowered like it's not receiving enough power. It also beeps when I try to calibrate it and the beeps come from the motors so I know it's getting a signal. What could cause this?

What part of the repair? I need help not criticism

So you think the connector is problem? Do you have a solution?

Of course I have a solution, but that would involve me troubleshooting and repairing your drone. It's very difficult to know what the issue is, not having the bird in front of me. I'm not criticizing you at all, just saying when you break parts during a repair, especially these delicate ribbon cables and/or associated connectors, then attempt to fix that by adding paper shims, you may be in over your head.

Should I just buy a new gimbal? Sell this one for parts?

Of course I have a solution, but that would involve me troubleshooting and repairing your drone. It's very difficult to know what the issue is, not having the bird in front of me. I'm not criticizing you at all, just saying when you break parts during a repair, especially these delicate ribbon cables and/or associated connectors, then attempt to fix that by adding paper shims, you may be in over your head.
Should I just buy a new gimbal? Sell this one for parts?

Multicoptertech, while you may be knowledgeable know how to fix these quads, it was literally no help on this post. You was very helpful pointing out the obvious though[emoji41]
Smedek, anytime you break off one of those plastic ribbon cable clips you've pretty much destroyed that part! People have tried shims and glues(including myself) i've yet to hear of that working. And maybe there some talented people but I found a way to repair that clip, but I don't know of any trick. One thing I noticed is the aftermarket cable you put on, it's been well documented that most people have problems with aftermarket ribbon cables. There's only a couple aftermarket brands that were consistently and you're better off getting an official DJI ribbon cable those are very consistent. So even if your shimmed clip did work, you won't be able to tell for sure until you put a quality DJI ribbon cable on. The best thing you can do is keep an eye on these classifieds and wait for somebody selling one of these gimbals that can assure you it's in perfect order. I've seen them as low as 250 bucks on this site.
Also the fact that you're receiving a lot of heat might be an indication that's your motor repair also has failures. Good luck friend

Multicoptertech, while you may be knowledgeable know how to fix these quads, it was literally no help on this post. You was very helpful pointing out the obvious though[emoji41]
Smedek, anytime you break off one of those plastic ribbon cable clips you've pretty much destroyed that part! People have tried shims and glues(including myself) i've yet to hear of that working. And maybe there some talented people but I found a way to repair that clip, but I don't know of any trick. One thing I noticed is the aftermarket cable you put on, it's been well documented that most people have problems with aftermarket ribbon cables. There's only a couple aftermarket brands that were consistently and you're better off getting an official DJI ribbon cable those are very consistent. So even if your shimmed clip did work, you won't be able to tell for sure until you put a quality DJI ribbon cable on. The best thing you can do is keep an eye on these classifieds and wait for somebody selling one of these gimbals that can assure you it's in perfect order. I've seen them as low as 250 bucks on this site.
Also the fact that you're receiving a lot of heat might be an indication that's your motor repair also has failures. Good luck friend
Nah, I think I pretty much nailed it, but thanks for repeating what I said, albeit in much more detail.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub