Gimbal wheel & Climb & descent control

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know what technique other operators use to achieve synchronisation between climb or descent while adjusting the gimbal control to maintain the required target.
I'm finding it very dificult, if not impossible. To adjust, for example, a smooth climb with smooth lowering of the angle of the camera, my index finger and thumb are fully occupied with height control and none of the remaining fingers of my left hand seem able to work the gimbal control smoothly at the same time.

What system do you use? Does it work smoothly?
Should I grow an extra Gimbal finger? ;o)

Last edited:
P4P has intelligent flight modes. Check out the online manual for basic instructions on using it. You can find it here>>
I'm not very good at reading manuals and find YouTube to be a better choice as I get to see it in action. Here is a video that explains the different modes >>

I'm going to recommend "Active Track". There are three modes and one may be perfect for your needs. You may also get some mileage out of "TapFly".

I've used "Course Lock" with great success :)

I have a couple of answers.
1. Practice Practice Practice. What you're describing is difficult. Period.

2. As noted, Go 4 has "smart" flight modes which can help. But personally I have found ActiveTrack to be worth a flaming pile of dog poo! It kind of sometimes works but is super restricted and fails always.

3. If you're serious about getting good footage, invest in one or more of the third party flight apps. AutoPilot, (g)Litchi, and FPV Camera all have functions that in some way will control the gimbal for you. But it isn't quite that easy, as you need to know how you want it controlled to pick the best tool for the job. In this case the best tool is not only the right app but the right function within the app.

Personally I recommend AutoPilot but you have to be willing to put in the time to learn the tool. It has by far the most robust set of options and will can be used in the widest set of scenarios. From setting a simple POI on a map for which the gimbal will move up/down as you control all the rest to fully autonomously following another drone being flown by another instance of Autopilot, to anything you can imagine in between.

So in the end we are back to "practice practice practice" I guess. [emoji3] But that practice includes having the right tools for the job you want to do!

You should be able to operate the throttle with your thumb only freeing up your index finger to toggle the gimble wheel.

P4P has intelligent flight modes. Check out the online manual for basic instructions on using it. You can find it here>>
I'm not very good at reading manuals and find YouTube to be a better choice as I get to see it in action. Here is a video that explains the different modes >>

I'm going to recommend "Active Track". There are three modes and one may be perfect for your needs. You may also get some mileage out of "TapFly".

I've used "Course Lock" with great success :)
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have used some of the intelligent flight modes and have found one or two quite useful, particularly POI which has proved impressive.
But I am more interested in improving my personal technique. The intelligent flight modes tend to be fairly limited in their offerings.

I have a couple of answers.
1. Practice Practice Practice. What you're describing is difficult. Period.

2. As noted, Go 4 has "smart" flight modes which can help. But personally I have found ActiveTrack to be worth a flaming pile of dog poo! It kind of sometimes works but is super restricted and fails always.

3. If you're serious about getting good footage, invest in one or more of the third party flight apps. AutoPilot, (g)Litchi, and FPV Camera all have functions that in some way will control the gimbal for you. But it isn't quite that easy, as you need to know how you want it controlled to pick the best tool for the job. In this case the best tool is not only the right app but the right function within the app.

Personally I recommend AutoPilot but you have to be willing to put in the time to learn the tool. It has by far the most robust set of options and will can be used in the widest set of scenarios. From setting a simple POI on a map for which the gimbal will move up/down as you control all the rest to fully autonomously following another drone being flown by another instance of Autopilot, to anything you can imagine in between.

So in the end we are back to "practice practice practice" I guess. [emoji3] But that practice includes having the right tools for the job you want to do!

I believe you are right. Practice is the answer, once I have found a technique I can manage properly.
In the mean time, I will certainly consider one of the programs you mention. Although, since my P4P is relatively new I'm loathe to invalidate my warranty at this stage.
Thank you, DaRana.

You should be able to operate the throttle with your thumb only freeing up your index finger to toggle the gimble wheel.
Yes, it seems a change to that method might be the way to go. I shall certainly give it a try and as DaRana suggested, "Practice, Practice, Practice".
Many thanks to all for taking the time.

Yes, it seems a change to that method might be the way to go. I shall certainly give it a try and as DaRana suggested, "Practice, Practice, Practice".
Many thanks to all for taking the time.

I missed the physical technique you mentioned in the first post. I'll definitely second using just your thumbs on both control sticks.

If you didn't know (I didn't at first!) you can change the height of the control sticks as well. You can unscrew the top bit and then move the bottom bit up/down. A longer stick gives you a longer arc meaning smaller relative movement for the same distance traveled by the end of the stick. A shorter stick allows more economical movements for larger changes. I like mine about two full turns from the top.

Also, if you have not tinkered with the control sensitivities be sure to do so. Out of the box they are set WAY too high for smooth videos. I have my exp set down to like 25 on throttle and the right stick and 20 on Yaw. Then for the gimbal controls crank them way down too. My gimbal is set to 18 speed I think and 20 "Smooth" setting. Speed is basically EXP for the gimbal wheel and smoothness is the ramp up/down time. So when you just let go of the gimbal wheel is nicely slows to a stop vs a jarring halt. Also the p4p lets you set three presets. Which is awesome. Wish my Mavic allowed that.

For all of these things if it sounds like I'm talking Greek, YouTube has all your answers. :)

Oh, fwiw, simply using the 3rd party apps doesn't/shouldn't void your warranty. I know there have been a few reports on he board about people crashing using a 3rd party app and having a problem bc if not but they are edge cases (not saying it isn't real but a fairly low probability of it happening!) so I wouldn't let that stop me from using the right tool for a job. :)

I missed the physical technique you mentioned in the first post. I'll definitely second using just your thumbs on both control sticks.

If you didn't know (I didn't at first!) you can change the height of the control sticks as well. You can unscrew the top bit and then move the bottom bit up/down. A longer stick gives you a longer arc meaning smaller relative movement for the same distance traveled by the end of the stick. A shorter stick allows more economical movements for larger changes. I like mine about two full turns from the top.

Also, if you have not tinkered with the control sensitivities be sure to do so. Out of the box they are set WAY too high for smooth videos. I have my exp set down to like 25 on throttle and the right stick and 20 on Yaw. Then for the gimbal controls crank them way down too. My gimbal is set to 18 speed I think and 20 "Smooth" setting. Speed is basically EXP for the gimbal wheel and smoothness is the ramp up/down time. So when you just let go of the gimbal wheel is nicely slows to a stop vs a jarring halt. Also the p4p lets you set three presets. Which is awesome. Wish my Mavic allowed that.

For all of these things if it sounds like I'm talking Greek, YouTube has all your answers. :)

Oh, fwiw, simply using the 3rd party apps doesn't/shouldn't void your warranty. I know there have been a few reports on he board about people crashing using a 3rd party app and having a problem bc if not but they are edge cases (not saying it isn't real but a fairly low probability of it happening!) so I wouldn't let that stop me from using the right tool for a job. :)

I have experimented with the various settings you suggested and I believe I already have settings very close to those you mentioned. It may well be worth a further look at the adjustments to the control sticks but I believe I have them also set to what suits my abilities.
BTW, The main reason for purchasing my P4P was to allow me a little more freedom of movement for my photography. I'm 84 years of age and my legs are becoming more of a problem as the years pass. However, my digital dexterity may be more questionable in relation to this particular problem. But nil desperandum, I shall keep trying to improve, as I thoroughly enjoy the astounding image quality, the technology, and the flying of the Phantom 4 pro.
I also enjoy the willingness of all on this forum to assist other operators with their expertise and wisdom.
Many thanks again, DaRana and others.

I have experimented with the various settings you suggested and I believe I already have settings very close to those you mentioned. It may well be worth a further look at the adjustments to the control sticks but I believe I have them also set to what suits my abilities.
BTW, The main reason for purchasing my P4P was to allow me a little more freedom of movement for my photography. I'm 84 years of age and my legs are becoming more of a problem as the years pass. However, my digital dexterity may be more questionable in relation to this particular problem. But nil desperandum, I shall keep trying to improve, as I thoroughly enjoy the astounding image quality, the technology, and the flying of the Phantom 4 pro.
I also enjoy the willingness of all on this forum to assist other operators with their expertise and wisdom.
Many thanks again, DaRana and others.

David, on the one hand I'm sorry to hear you aren't as mobile as you'd like. :( On the other hand, it makes me happy that you've found a new way to move about! I'm a photographer at heart, too, though the video is pretty addicting to create let alone the sheer immersion of zooming about. I've been enjoying the freedom to create new images and finding new ways to express how I see the world with the P4P to great satisfaction.

Yesterday I was able to take off from about 900' MSL from under some high tension lines, overlooking a drop of 300-400' on both sides, sandwiched between two thunder storm cells after a third had JUST passed through on a hot summer afternoon. That otherworldly mist that rises up from the trees after a brief summer deluge? I was flying through it as it spiraled and twisted its way out of the forest ,. blowing away in the rising winds, all while taking photographs from above ... it was a truly magic experience.

Okay I've distracted myself now. :) Look forward to seeing your images David!

Reactions: davideo0
David, on the one hand I'm sorry to hear you aren't as mobile as you'd like. :( On the other hand, it makes me happy that you've found a new way to move about! I'm a photographer at heart, too, though the video is pretty addicting to create let alone the sheer immersion of zooming about. I've been enjoying the freedom to create new images and finding new ways to express how I see the world with the P4P to great satisfaction.

Yesterday I was able to take off from about 900' MSL from under some high tension lines, overlooking a drop of 300-400' on both sides, sandwiched between two thunder storm cells after a third had JUST passed through on a hot summer afternoon. That otherworldly mist that rises up from the trees after a brief summer deluge? I was flying through it as it spiraled and twisted its way out of the forest ,. blowing away in the rising winds, all while taking photographs from above ... it was a truly magic experience.

Okay I've distracted myself now. :) Look forward to seeing your images David!
DaRana, you paint a superb picture in words. I imagine your images would be something to behold.
My own images, although few have any real artistic value, give me a great deal of pleasure.
Now I must read that description again ... Oh yes, I'm there.:pensive:

DaRana, you paint a superb picture in words. I imagine your images would be something to behold.
My own images, although few have any real artistic value, give me a great deal of pleasure.
Now I must read that description again ... Oh yes, I'm there.:pensive:

Oh, David, one more suggestion I completely forgot to mention. I converted one of my dual-camera shoulder harnesses into a remote control shoulder harness. DJI and others sell them, too. I admit I kind of rolled my eyes at them at first but figured I'd give it a try. And it is really excellent.

Benefit 1, it may not seem like much at first but te weight reduction after flying for 2, 3, or more batteries (easily 2+ hours w/ my 4 batteries + 1 field recharge) goes a long way towards reducing overall fatigue.

Benefit 2 goes directly to your original question, I have found that the decreased weight being held up by my arms/fingers directly results in increased dexterity and precision in my fingers. It's a pretty noticeable difference.

Oh, David, one more suggestion I completely forgot to mention. I converted one of my dual-camera shoulder harnesses into a remote control shoulder harness. DJI and others sell them, too. I admit I kind of rolled my eyes at them at first but figured I'd give it a try. And it is really excellent.

Benefit 1, it may not seem like much at first but te weight reduction after flying for 2, 3, or more batteries (easily 2+ hours w/ my 4 batteries + 1 field recharge) goes a long way towards reducing overall fatigue.

Benefit 2 goes directly to your original question, I have found that the decreased weight being held up by my arms/fingers directly results in increased dexterity and precision in my fingers. It's a pretty noticeable difference.
Thanks for that, DaRana, I'll certainly look into it.
Incidentally, I tried the single thumb suggestion yesterday and I found I was able to work the gimbal control much more smoothly, so there's hope for the old dog yet.:)
Thanks to you and With The Birds for pointing the way.

Reactions: DaRana

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik