Gimbal, Tx, IOSD, etc. Confused.

Reaction score
Getting on with my F550, but I'm getting rather confused here, trying to understand how everything in the FPV and telemetry side goes together.

I've roughly placed the relevant items, together with such cables as I can interpret, as you will see in the picture I hope I've attached. There are two additional cables, left of the pic, and two question marks next to the IOSD, pointing to sockets.

How far from the truth am I here?

Would love it if somebody wise here can please advise me.

Attachments

• P1010080.jpg
    P1010080.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 1,742
Generally looks okay BUT the way you have it you wont get the OSD from the mini iOSD into the video feed the way it is.
The little 4 cable that came with the mini iOSD is a video in (video - and video +) and a video out (video - and video +)
Therefore the ear phone looking plug that comes out of the gimbal controller will need to go to the iOSD mini through the video in and then from the video out to the transmitter.
Basically you need to splice into that lead with the 4 cable that goes into the iOSD mini.
If you plug the short lead into the mini it will make sense which is which as it is labelled on the iOSD mini
The other empty port on the iOSD is a CAN bus port that is spare for you.
The other lead with the earphone looking plug on is also spare.

Get rid of the canbus hub, it's not necessary with the gear you have. Plug the canbus plug from the GCU in to the spare port on the iOSD mini. Plug the canbus cable on the iOSD mini in to the port on your NAZA's PMU.

Since you have all DJI components, the video connections (not the canbus connections) between the gimbal, iOSD mini, and AVL58 transmitter will be much easier if you use DJI's FPV hub...it has all the cables you need for those, just plug in play: http://1uas.com/Phantom-2-Part-9-FPV-Cablehub

The GCU will still need it's own connection to power on the 550, but the AVL58 transmitter will get its power from the FPV hub.

Thank you both Smallman and OI. All things considered, I thought the FPV Hub looked the best way to go, and so I just ordered one. Only £9, surprisingly!

FPV is waiting for a while - want to get the thing flying correctly before I add all the rest, just quick flights as I'll have no telemetry to keep an eye on the battery levels.

You're all very helpful, thank you.

CallMeAlan said:
Thank you both Smallman and OI. All things considered, I thought the FPV Hub looked the best way to go, and so I just ordered one. Only £9, surprisingly!

FPV is waiting for a while - want to get the thing flying correctly before I add all the rest, just quick flights as I'll have no telemetry to keep an eye on the battery levels.

You're all very helpful, thank you.

The FPV is the easiest solution but didn't want to add any extra cost (all be it £9 ) :) and possibly "waste" some components you had already bought such as the CAN bus hub.

Guys,
I'm getting terminally confused here, so I'm looking for some help please, before the men in white take me away.
Youtube is no use, as it's totally Phantomish when it comes to this matter.

It's about my F550 and the entire FPV/OSD system. Following OI's advice I bought an FPV Hub and have tried to understand how to wire it up. My schematic in the picture shows what I think. Is that correct? To clarify, the top left cable is one which came with the gimbal, having 3 ends - "headphone', +/- battery and 8 pin. It's the orange NAZA M V2. I haven't dared try this setup in case smoke appears from something.

Other questions: do I need to connect both the 3-end cable as well as the Zenmuse GCU to main power? If this is all correct, will the rear control on the DJI DJ6 tx operate the gimbal tilt?

But the good news is that we had a very short maiden flight this morning. It wandered around a bit but I discovered I had incorrect XYZ figures in the GPS setup, otherwise it was excellent, and I believe quieter than my Phantom.

Thanks a million.

Alan.

Attachments

• P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 1,496
Oh yes please, please, please OI!!

Ok I hope this helps, all I had here was a torn notepad and my lap :)

You were most of the way there in your last diagram, but this is how they need to be connected in your case:

Please pardon the crudeness of the sketch and the after-midnight handwriting :oops:

So many thanks OI! All fitted together now and working!

This is awesome! I just happened to stumble across this, but as someone about to do a similar setup on an F450 this is a ton of help. Thanks guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers