Gimbal that works with GoPro protective housing?

Reaction score
Is there a gimbal in existence that is compatible with the Phantom 2 which will accept the GoPro with its protective housing on?
Seeing a number of crashes destroy $400 gimbals and $400 GoPros I am wanting at least my GoPro to be better protected.
I discovered the Scarab but it is designed for Scarab quads and requires a specific controller.
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/scarab-armoured-gimbal-black

Is there a gimbal in existence that is compatible with the Phantom 2 which will accept the GoPro with its protective housing on?
Seeing a number of crashes destroy $400 gimbals and $400 GoPros I am wanting at least my GoPro to be better protected.
I discovered the Scarab but it is designed for Scarab quads and requires a specific controller.
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/scarab-armoured-gimbal-black

Most of the damage to zenmuse gimbals and GoPro cameras comes from the fact that the owners of P2's didn't buy longer landing gear or snap on extensions and hard landings take a total on the equipment. Putting gimbal/camera protection under equipment that sits less than a quarter inch off the ground really isn't protecting anything. Adding the GoPro hard casing will offer some protection to thee camera at the cost of adding weight to the P2 and reducing flying time..If tit is fixed camera mount the video will not be stable.

The gimbal destroying crashes I've witnessed were only from 15 to 50 feet high. In each case the landing gear totally buckled on impact. Neither were pilot error. One was a sudden voltage drop and the other was loss of a prop mid-air (DJI admitted fault).

Last edited:
The gimbal destroying crashes I've witnessed were only from 15 to 50 feet high. In each case the landing gear totally buckled on impact.

That does happen. But do you think you'll fair any better from those altitudes with you're proposed setup? First one must learn t6o crawl before they can stand and walk. Same basics can be applied to flying. Learn how to fly in order to avoid problems in the air. Most of these mishaps are caused by pilot error in some form or another. Poor maintenance of equipment is one cause.

Learn how to fly in order to avoid problems in the air.

Totally agree. I downloaded and read the manual 3-4 times before I got my P2 NV. I've only had a chance to fly it a few times, but I know enough to not get crazy right away. I too wish I could attach my GoPro with the case, but since I can't I'll get the extensions.

Reading the manual several times doesn't help when panic takes over while in the air and pilot errors occur.

I'm interested in adding a 3 axis gimbal and GoPro Hero 3 Black to my PV2. Not sure if it's possible. I should have bought the P2V+ but was trying to get into flying cheaper. I wonder if I should try to sell what I've got and move up instead of investing more in the PV2.

I'm interested in adding a 3 axis gimbal and GoPro Hero 3 Black to my PV2. Not sure if it's possible. I should have bought the P2V+ but was trying to get into flying cheaper. I wonder if I should try to sell what I've got and move up instead of investing more in the PV2.

What equipment do you have right now other then the P2?

Just the PV2. Not the +. I've got a little invested in repair parts after some learning accidents. I need smoother video for some projects I have lined up.

Well you will need FPV system, gimbal and a GoPro camera . I have listed all the equipment necessary for a FPV in red at the bottom of this post with the exception of the DVR. FPV equipment can cost between $250 - $350 and if you don't a GoPro of gimbal add another $790 for those items.

Well I wasn't entirely honest. My mistake. I have the DJI Vision app on my Samsung Galaxy 5 ( which has mysteriously stopped working) as well as the Litchi app. I also have the Litchi app on my LG 8.3 tablet. The DJI Vision app is not compatible. I've been able to fly FPV somewhat but the screens are hard to see until late afternoon or dusk. Being new at this I like having a visual on the bird. If I lose that I use RTH until I have the visual and then normally go back to manual control. I'd like to be able to use Fatshark goggles but I know that's a whole new subject. My brother has two DIY quads he's built and is kind of the local guru but it's hard to get up with him. He uses some generic cameras and flies almost exclusively using his Fatsharks as do several of the local pilots. I'll eventually get it all figured out (maybe) but I appreciate your input. Thanks!!!!

Well I wasn't entirely honest. My mistake. I have the DJI Vision app on my Samsung Galaxy 5 ( which has mysteriously stopped working) as well as the Litchi app. I also have the Litchi app on my LG 8.3 tablet. The DJI Vision app is not compatible. I've been able to fly FPV somewhat but the screens are hard to see until late afternoon or dusk. Being new at this I like having a visual on the bird. If I lose that I use RTH until I have the visual and then normally go back to manual control. I'd like to be able to use Fatshark goggles but I know that's a whole new subject. My brother has two DIY quads he's built and is kind of the local guru but it's hard to get up with him. He uses some generic cameras and flies almost exclusively using his Fatsharks as do several of the local pilots. I'll eventually get it all figured out (maybe) but I appreciate your input. Thanks!!!!

Check your personal messages. PM's will be the envelope to the right of screen name.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1