Gimbal shutdown mid-flight

M_W

Reaction score
DJI P3S | iPhone 5S | Latest firmware and DJI GO version

So I was flying my Phantom today, and the video feed as well as all the battery info, height, distance, etc. went blank mid-flight. Thankfully I was able to bring back it in manually. When I picked it up, I noticed that the gimbal was limp, as if it was turned off, but everything else was still running. I turned it off and back on and the gimbal started back up as if nothing had happened. The video has cut out mid-flight before, but never has the whole gimbal shut down.

It's things like this that make me nervous about flying it, I just do not trust the software anymore, I never have really. I don't know if it could be related or not, but on the last few flights I've flown the "Weak controller signal" pops up quite often, but usually goes away in a few seconds and doesn't seem to affect anything. The TX antenna being parallel to the legs, not flying straight above, away from sources of interference, etc. just like I've always done.

Has anyone had something like this happen to them before? I just can't fly with confidence when stuff like this happens almost every other flight. Nothing has happened (yet) that has caused me to actually loose control, but the video feed cutting out, app crashing, signal lost messages, etc. can be quite scary...

DJI P3S | iPhone 5S | Latest firmware and DJI GO version

So I was flying my Phantom today, and the video feed as well as all the battery info, height, distance, etc. went blank mid-flight. Thankfully I was able to bring back it in manually. When I picked it up, I noticed that the gimbal was limp, as if it was turned off, but everything else was still running. I turned it off and back on and the gimbal started back up as if nothing had happened. The video has cut out mid-flight before, but never has the whole gimbal shut down.

It's things like this that make me nervous about flying it, I just do not trust the software anymore, I never have really. I don't know if it could be related or not, but on the last few flights I've flown the "Weak controller signal" pops up quite often, but usually goes away in a few seconds and doesn't seem to affect anything. The TX antenna being parallel to the legs, not flying straight above, away from sources of interference, etc. just like I've always done.

Has anyone had something like this happen to them before? I just can't fly with confidence when stuff like this happens almost every other flight. Nothing has happened (yet) that has caused me to actually loose control, but the video feed cutting out, app crashing, signal lost messages, etc. can be quite scary...
That's not software it's hardware. Is it still under warranty?

It should still be, I had the shell replaced a few months ago due to stress cracks.
Yeah if it's still under warranty send it in before everything shuts down during a flight

Yeah if it's still under warranty send it in before everything shuts down during a flight
Would I have a valid reason to send it in? It's working at the moment. I totally agree that it would be best to have the gimbal or whatever else replaced, but if the issue can't be reproduced, would they even do anything, or just send it back a month later in the same condition that I sent it in?

I've heard that their customer support can be horrible. I've only had to deal with them once when my shell got stress cracks, and I didn't have a problem with them.
I guess it would be worth a shot to contact them and see if they would do anything, I just have a feeling that I'd be wasting my time being as my P3S is fully functional at the moment.

That is a good question! I'm not sure what info is still being logged after wifi loss if any but l'm sure plenty is still being logged to the inboard card. So l'm guessing your proof would be there. Have a chat w/ them n see what they say. Nothing to lose

Reactions: M_W

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20