Gimbal rotation all or nothing

Reaction score
I have recently bought a Phantom 2 with a H3-3D gimbal. Using the Phantom software I have slowed the rotation of the gimbal to get a slow smooth pan, but while the lever on the back of the remote has a wide span of movement, the gimbal only moves when it's right at the edge of the possible movement area. This means that for the large part, moving the lever doesn't do anything, but then just at the very edge it makes the gimbal pan from fully forward to fully down without giving me the option of stopping anywhere in between. Is this just how the gimbal lever works or is there something I need to fix?

Yes, when I calibrate the lever in the Phantom software it shows no movement until right before the end where it suddenly switches to the opposite side.

Same here. Can move the lever 90% of the travel and then boom. It goes to total opposite end of the range. No fine tuning. When changing the gain to almost 0 it does the same but just moves slower.

So, as far as you are aware, there's nothing I can do to fix it? I've had such a bad time with my dealer, if I can fix it myself, I'd rather do that.

Mine has just started to do this after upgrading firmware and calibrating! I'm really pissed off as I'm about to head on a long trip! :evil:

glad im not alone on this one.

I thought it was because I had a cheap walkera gimbal lol

I see the x1 channel move in the naza assistant, but its choppy. Like, not a smooth transition to the middle and then the end.
And like the OP, by the time it gets to the end, the gimbal just shoots straight down. I guess it doesnt matter to me for now since I dont have FPV via my gopro, so its not like I can really aim at what I'm shooting.

Pull_Up said:
Agreed. It's either a problem with the potentiometer or a problem with the lever being fitted incorrectly. Either way you should request a return and replacement transmitter from your dealer.

let me ask this.
I believe I read somewhere that you are supposed to turn the potentiometer all the way to the left before installation of the lever.
Was that true?

I tried everything, even making sure the lever was moving the contact inside... still nothing.

Apparently the cause of this problem for many is that the lever does not make proper contact with the switch inside. Try squeezing the controller at the point where the lever is...if you hear a click, hold down and try the x1 lever again...

I however resorted to buying another controller as I'm leaving for a 6 month trip with the P2 tomorrow :( will send the remote in later for warranty... now I'm stuck with another crap remote... can't justify buying a Futaba at this point and don't have time to figure out how to bind it with the after market remote and make adjustments :(

KBurn said:
I tried everything, even making sure the lever was moving the contact inside... still nothing.

Apparently the cause of this problem for many is that the lever does not make proper contact with the switch inside. Try squeezing the controller at the point where the lever is...if you hear a click, hold down and try the x1 lever again...

I however resorted to buying another controller as I'm leaving for a 6 month trip with the P2 tomorrow :( will send the remote in later for warranty... now I'm stuck with another crap remote... can't justify buying a Futaba at this point and don't have time to figure out how to bind it with the after market remote and make adjustments :(

Kburn,

I am confused by "I however resorted to buying another controller as I'm leaving for a 6 month trip with the P2 tomorrow :( will send the remote in later for warranty... now I'm stuck with another crap remote"

Are you saying that two different remotes do the same thing?

If so it would seem that is not the issue.

Tom

mortalbug said:
I have recently bought a Phantom 2 with a H3-3D gimbal. Using the Phantom software I have slowed the rotation of the gimbal to get a slow smooth pan, but while the lever on the back of the remote has a wide span of movement, the gimbal only moves when it's right at the edge of the possible movement area. This means that for the large part, moving the lever doesn't do anything, but then just at the very edge it makes the gimbal pan from fully forward to fully down without giving me the option of stopping anywhere in between. Is this just how the gimbal lever works or is there something I need to fix?

I had the same problem. I tried everything. Then I downgraded the firmware, took it back to 1.8, now the x1 tilt and leaver works as it did do. I was about to give up!

tom3holer said:
KBurn said:

Kburn,

I am confused by "I however resorted to buying another controller as I'm leaving for a 6 month trip with the P2 tomorrow :( will send the remote in later for warranty... now I'm stuck with another crap remote"

Are you saying that two different remotes do the same thing?

If so it would seem that is not the issue.

Tom

Sorry if I was not clear.... what i meant was I tried everything..l even checking the apparently most common problem of the lever not seated properly in the switch. Nothing worked for me and I had to purchase a new controller. The new controller works just fine. I have also calibrated it and it works ok.

I did not however try downgrading firmware to 1.08... might give it a go when I get back 6 weeks later assuming I have not sent in this other controller for warranty repairs/swap then...

adam1 said:
I had the same problem. I tried everything. Then I downgraded the firmware, took it back to 1.8, now the x1 tilt and leaver works as it did do. I was about to give up!

which firmware?
Does the controller use different firmware?

dragonash said:
adam1 said:

which firmware?
Does the controller use different firmware?

The main firmware 1.8 for the phantom. I had the same problems until I downgraded to effectively upgrade. In my case the 3.04 messed up the x1 tilt. Now the controller calibrates as it should.

I had this problem after upgrading firmware a while ago. Note that I have the H3-2D gimbal.

Problem: When I slid the back switch my gimbal would go from 100% vertical to 100% horizontal with nothing in between. It felt like 90% of the slide action did nothing and that last 10% spun the camera 100% to the horizontal.

Solution: I tried calibrating the switch (the using the software for the phantom) and to no avail. It was only when I calibrated (X1 I think?) using the assistant software that the issue was fixed.

I remember that trying to calibrate in the phantom software that the switch didn't work properly. It was all one way or the other. No smooth transition. After using the assistant software (plugging the controller in via the usb) it worked properly in both sets of software.

jfischer said:
I had this problem after upgrading firmware a while ago. Note that I have the H3-2D gimbal.

Problem: When I slid the back switch my gimbal would go from 100% vertical to 100% horizontal with nothing in between. It felt like 90% of the slide action did nothing and that last 10% spun the camera 100% to the horizontal.

Solution: I tried calibrating the switch (the using the software for the phantom) and to no avail. It was only when I calibrated (X1 I think?) using the assistant software that the issue was fixed.

I remember that trying to calibrate in the phantom software that the switch didn't work properly. It was all one way or the other. No smooth transition. After using the assistant software (plugging the controller in via the usb) it worked properly in both sets of software.

So I should open up the controller and plug the usb cable into it, then open the assistant and calibrate it that way?
I've only done it through the normal combination of the phantom and controller

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues