Gimbal Rolls Left and Right

Reaction score
I just got my P3A back from DJI for stress crack repairs. They replaced the whole bird, which I wasn't expecting. I did a cold IMU and gimbal calibration and compass calibration before the first flight. This is a clip from my second flight with the new bird. The gimbal rolls left and right like it's on a boat. During this flight I tried adjusting the gimbal roll manually, but it wouldn't stay put. During this short clip it was in RTH mode and I was not inputting any commands with the RC. Has anyone ever seen this or had this happen to them? Any suggestions would be much appreciated...I really don't want to send it back to DJI for another 2 weeks.

Looks like your gimbal is in "FPV mode". By default I think the switch on the back, under your right stick toggles between FPV and follow mode

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
No, it's not...if it was, the horizon would stay straight and there would be an abrupt movement left or right when yawing. During the time this clip was recorded, it was in RTH mode and I was not touching the sticks at all.

Maybe this screw (red circle) is loose:
2016-08-06 14.29.12.jpg

There are many thread about it.

@Dronason I checked that screw and it wasn't loose. I did another IMU and gimbal calibration and the problem doesn't seem as bad, but it's still there and annoying. I noticed during the flight that my previous manual adjustments to the gimbal roll were still in place...I thought those got reset when the AC gets powered down. Maybe the manual adjustment setting affected the gimbal calibration? I'm going to do another IMU and gimbal calibration with the manual adjustments set back to zero and see if that helps.

Just some ideas (sounds as last chance for my expertise level):
- Gimbal is really free of movement when it is powered down ?
- Gimbal is really clean of any dust or part ?
- All flat cable connectors are fully engaged ?
- You said it is not in FPV because video would be different, but did you check the setting in the GO app ?
- Was first flight like that ?
- Can you reproduce it ?
- Did you know if it was the gimbal that drift this way or the whole P3 that drift during the RTH? You can to put your flight record at https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and post the link here. Sure someone will be able to analyze it. From the data, it should be possible to see what is really drifting.

Yes gimbal moves freely and is clean.
I'll check the ribbon connectors.
Yes it's in follow mode in the app.
First flight was like that and it has happened every flight. I only have 3 flights on this bird since DJI replaced my old one. I kind of wish I had repaired the original myself, but it was in warranty so I sent it in.
I assume it's the gimbal...if it was the bird drifting the gimbal would correct it and the horizon would be straight all the time.
I'll upload the flight record this weekend...hopefully someone will be able to analyze it and see what's happening.
Thanks for your help.

Yes gimbal moves freely and is clean.
I'll check the ribbon connectors.
Yes it's in follow mode in the app.
First flight was like that and it has happened every flight. I only have 3 flights on this bird since DJI replaced my old one. I kind of wish I had repaired the original myself, but it was in warranty so I sent it in.
I assume it's the gimbal...if it was the bird drifting the gimbal would correct it and the horizon would be straight all the time.
I'll upload the flight record this weekend...hopefully someone will be able to analyze it and see what's happening.
Thanks for your help.
You are welcome, I hope to see you found a solution and understand what was the reason.

Reactions: DennyBoBenny
Here's the link to the flight record but it makes no sense. I assume the record is corrupted.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Every flight record from this new bird is either like this one or no data is displayed at all. I'm gonna have to send it back to DJI.

@msinger have you ever seen a flight log like this generated by your log viewer?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl