Gimbal rolled to left, will not center using Assistant 2.20

Reaction score
Just flew on airline with my P2V+ in custom case with gimbal lock in place, gimbal not touching any object in the foam well of the case. On arrival, everything looked fine, but the gimbal lock was off the gimbal, suggesting to me that the case may have experienced a stong bump at some point. The gimbal lock on first unpacking when I received the unit was never very tight. On first power up after the airline flight, gimbal is rolled to the left and not level when the P2V is on a level surface. In flight the gimbal responds appropriately and pitch is controllable via the app, and the roll corrects somewhat, but is never level when the P2V+ is level. Tried adjusting the center position of roll via the Assistant 2.20 software, but the gimbal does not seem to move when I type in values that should move it. I hope I am doing something wrong in Assistant, and that the gimbal was not somehow damaged in transit. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Gimbal rolled to left, will not center using Assistant 2

johnbt said:
Just flew on airline with my P2V+ in custom case with gimbal lock in place, gimbal not touching any object in the foam well of the case. On arrival, everything looked fine, but the gimbal lock was off the gimbal, suggesting to me that the case may have experienced a stong bump at some point. The gimbal lock on first unpacking when I received the unit was never very tight. On first power up after the airline flight, gimbal is rolled to the left and not level when the P2V is on a level surface. In flight the gimbal responds appropriately and pitch is controllable via the app, and the roll corrects somewhat, but is never level when the P2V+ is level. Tried adjusting the center position of roll via the Assistant 2.20 software, but the gimbal does not seem to move when I type in values that should move it. I hope I am doing something wrong in Assistant, and that the gimbal was not somehow damaged in transit. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I assume you didn't take as a carry on. Take as carry on in future.
Did you use an water/air sealed case? Air sealed cases like the trade craft compress and expand with altitude and can crush the phantom and ultimately dislodge the camera/gimbal.

Anyways.. Do an Advanced IMU (do it when phantom is cold so its quicker).
Failing that, open up the roll motor gimbal (3 screws) and check if the shaft is misaligned. The shaft from the camera to motor is pressed fit and easily dislodged. The flat part of the D on the shaft should be squared to camera. If not, search for the tilt solved thread.

Just in future for those that check the phantom in, please use tape to hold the gimbal clamp in place.

You can't adjust the gimbal values on the plus , like the vision. Only thing you can try is a advanced imu calibration.

Mori55 said:
You can't adjust the gimbal values on the plus , like the vision. Only thing you can try is a advanced imu calibration.

That's what I thought too. How did OP "adjust" the gimbal using the assistant software?

Took as carry on, but small plane required gate check. The case has potential for air seal, but I had the vent open to prevent pressure change issues. I'll try the advanced IMU calibration later today and report. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Have tried multiple cables, and so far can't get the P2V+ to connect to the Assistant 2.0 software. Tried with controller on and controller off and still won't connect. Redownloaded Assistant, still wont connect.

The computer "sees" the P2V+ and the cable seems to be good because the computer chimes when the USB cable connected to the Vision is plugged into the computer. Tried powering up the quad before and after the software, no difference, still won't connect to Assistant 2.20.

I had a similar experience this weekend and i didnt even fly on a plane. On a long distance flight that was going as planned with all systems at 100% the camera rolled hard to the left on my return trip. It did correct itself after about 10 seconds. It was very unnerving because i was far far away. I just wrote it off as an anomaly. if it happens again this weekend ill be back here hopefully for a solution.

johnbt said:
The computer "sees" the P2V+ and the cable seems to be good because the computer chimes when the USB cable connected to the Vision is plugged into the computer. Tried powering up the quad before and after the software, no difference, still won't connect to Assistant 2.20.

Has it worked before?
PC or MAC?
PC requires a driver download from the DJI site.

Worked perfectly 1 day before. On a PC, but have a Mac available too. Redownloaded latest Win driver and Assistant 2.20, still does not connect. Thanks.

Mmm. not sure.
download the Phantom 3.2 assist.

No further progress to report. Multiple other things tried yesterday, so in lieu of a solution, this one goes back to Amazon and I will have a new one with one day shipping tomorrow to finish the shoot we are working on in Montana and Wyoming (not in the parks). Good ole DJI comes through with a crap out once again. Brand new unit, flown 5 times, perfect, no crashes or even blinks, and it the gimbal craps out and won't correct. The V2P is a step forward, but 'we ain't there yet."

johnbt said:
No further progress to report. Multiple other things tried yesterday, so in lieu of a solution, this one goes back to Amazon and I will have a new one with one day shipping tomorrow to finish the shoot we are working on in Montana and Wyoming (not in the parks). Good ole DJI comes through with a crap out once again. Brand new unit, flown 5 times, perfect, no crashes or even blinks, and it the gimbal craps out and won't correct. The V2P is a step forward, but 'we ain't there yet."

I had to return my samsung 65" smart Tv 3 times before i got one that wasnt defective in some way. Just sayin.

Hello there,

Just wondering if you ever solved this issue? I am having the same problem...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20