Gimbal Quick Release

Reaction score
hi all,

even though i love the phantom as a stabilized video platform, i've found myself wanting to fly in manual mode for fun and wanted a quick way to drop the weight of the gopro and gimbal. it was becoming a hassle to take the gimbal on and off. i worked with my buddy who's designed 3d master winning heli parts (ramster engineering) to come up with a solution. much longer flight times were back and no more sluggishness when sport flying! here's what we came up with, simple, secure.. on/off in a few seconds..
phantomgimbalquickrelease_zpsee3ac2fa.jpg

_MG_1366_zpse6b20248.jpg

_MG_1345_zps3f1b55e5.jpg

the baseplate (which has the thumbscrews) stays attached to the phantom shell, and the other plate is on my tarot gimbal. line up the center hole with the center post on the baseplate, twist it in place and turn the thumbscrews and the gimbal is locked in place, super quick and secure.

it's my tarot gimbal in the pics but we've also made this for my goodluckbuy 2 axis gimbal also so i have a backup. what do you think? would anyone want one for themselves? since we cut them on the cnc i had a few extra made and could cut some more!

dan

As a fellow designer I tip my cap to you on this. Proof if ever it was needed that the simplist solutions are often the best. Really nice.

I looked at doing something similar for the Zenmuse but as always the wiring harness was the real killer on it. If you could find find a cheap source of male-female connectors for the Zenmuse 8 pin cable you'd be onto a winner with something like this. If nothing else I, like many, appreciate being able to remove a Gimbal quickly for transport and maintenance.

Keep up the good work.

Much appreciated Dewey! I've always been a fan of what you've done for this hobby.

Good point about the transport and maintenance, removing it does make it so much easier to deal with the gopro. I also keep it safely tucked away in my case so it's not hanging off the phantom and banging around during transport.

We can easily design this quick release for the P2. What is the issue with the zenmuse harness? Is it in a difficult spot for plugging in and out? I'll borrow my buddies P2 and check it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers