Gimbal protectors

Reaction score
Hi,
Could someone please comment on carbon gimbal protectors? What the advantages and disadvantages? Does anyone have any experience with it?
Thank you.

I just got mine delivered today. Aparantly can save the camera in a fall. It fits nicely on the p3 but havent tested it yet. Ill keep you posted

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hi Kontek. I can see you are from Melbourne too. For how long you have Phantom? Where do you fly, I mean do you know any good spots around Melbourne. I'm new to it.

Hi Dima, ive only had it for 4 weeks. still new. Reading heaps and watching heaps. I think i have a serious problem, at least that's what my wife tells me :) my main site is bald hill park in Clayton south. massive park that covers a few blocks, I also take it out every time i go fishing to see whos catching (snapper season very very usefull). I plan to hit cathedral ranges soon, just waiting on my fpv googles. what about yourself ?

I got mine delivered a few days ago. There's lots of info here on the forum about these. The advantage is that your camera will get some protection from hitting an on ground object while landing. The disadvantage is it may cause your phantom to tip if it lands centred on a larger rock/stick etc. Another disadvantage is it may hinder the phantom from using its normal storage, mine does, my Nanuk case has a cutout area for the landing gear, but won't work with the gimbal protector on. I think it's just another gadget to add to my growing pile of useless P3P items- gimbal guard, iPad sunshade, motor covers, lens sunshade, prop guards............save your dollar, don't fall for any of these useless items. If your phantom falls from the sky this gimbal guard will do nothing to protect your camera, the centrifugal force of hitting the ground will destroy your camera anyways!

I'm giving this a try instead. I don't like the guard across the bottom of the legs. Asking for tipping trouble on uneven ground.

Dynamic 3D Solutions

I got mine delivered a few days ago. There's lots of info here on the forum about these. The advantage is that your camera will get some protection from hitting an on ground object while landing. The disadvantage is it may cause your phantom to tip if it lands centred on a larger rock/stick etc. Another disadvantage is it may hinder the phantom from using its normal storage, mine does, my Nanuk case has a cutout area for the landing gear, but won't work with the gimbal protector on. I think it's just another gadget to add to my growing pile of useless P3P items- gimbal guard, iPad sunshade, motor covers, lens sunshade, prop guards............save your dollar, don't fall for any of these useless items. If your phantom falls from the sky this gimbal guard will do nothing to protect your camera, the centrifugal force of hitting the ground will destroy your camera anyways!

All of the items You've listed I already have [emoji5]️
I'm afraid you are right about most of them.

Hi Dima, ive only had it for 4 weeks. still new. Reading heaps and watching heaps. I think i have a serious problem, at least that's what my wife tells me :) my main site is bald hill park in Clayton south. massive park that covers a few blocks, I also take it out every time i go fishing to see whos catching (snapper season very very usefull). I plan to hit cathedral ranges soon, just waiting on my fpv googles. what about yourself ?

I've got myP3P for only four weeks too. I'm like you watching and reading a lot. My wife but don't comment much as she already gave up. [emoji3]
So far I did fly my P3P at the following locations:
Gilmore Park, Ferntree Gully
near Rowville Football Club
Braeside Park
Sweeney Reserve
my favourite spot so far is Aura Vale Lake.
And I do like fishing too.[emoji4]

Ok you list all the items and say they are useless I was about to order a sunshade for my tablet cause of the glare is it a waist of money???

Ok you list all the items and say they are useless I was about to order a sunshade for my tablet cause of the glare is it a waist of money???

i have one for my phone and it does help. just have to be close to the screen and it will be easier to see with it

I've got myP3P for only four weeks too. I'm like you watching and reading a lot. My wife but don't comment much as she already gave up. [emoji3]
So far I did fly my P3P at the following locations:
Gilmore Park, Ferntree Gully
near Rowville Football Club
Braeside Park
Sweeney Reserve
my favourite spot so far is Aura Vale Lake.
And I do like fishing too.[emoji4]
Good stuff. Ill have to check out a few of those spots. Braiside park is close might see me flying around there soòn lol

I use a "gimbal protector" on both my P2V+ and P3P.

Not so much to protect the camera/gimbal (though this is an added benefit), but because I always hand catch and I appreciate the extra rigidity the cross bar brings to the airframe.

It was a waste for me. Although i got my money refunded (eBay). The whole apparatus gets even more unstable. The sunscreen i had didnt allow the clamp to secure the iPad and the little suction cups were not trustworthy. Too risky to gamble my ipad on.

It was a waste for me. Although i got my money refunded (eBay). The whole apparatus gets even more unstable. The sunscreen i had didnt allow the clamp to secure the iPad and the little suction cups were not trustworthy. Too risky to gamble my ipad on.
I moded mine so the clamp secures the tablet. Also lock tightened the mount. 100% sturdy and safe. Can see much better. I personellay think its a must

The gimbal is the weak link, the most fragile (other than props that are inexpensive), so I opted to install a gimbal saver, an aluminum replacement gimbal back with a securing arm to keep the gimbal secure, potentially popping of and breaking the ribbon cable (a known weak link of the design). I also have the carbon fiber guard across the bottom, for the possibility of a hard landing (which hasn't happened yet thank goodness). With over 100mi on the craft, I've never had a problem landing with the carbon fiber camera guard. However, I never land the craft unless it's flat and free of weeds, tall grass, etc. If not I catch it, in fact I catch my craft over half the time because it's so easy, and I feel it's more safe (for the craft) than landing. Windy conditions, I always hand catch. Rocky?... hand catch. Sandy?.... hand catch.

Reactions: kontek
The gimbal is the weak link, the most fragile (other than props that are inexpensive), so I opted to install a gimbal saver, an aluminum replacement gimbal back with a securing arm to keep the gimbal secure, potentially popping of and breaking the ribbon cable (a known weak link of the design). I also have the carbon fiber guard across the bottom, for the possibility of a hard landing (which hasn't happened yet thank goodness). With over 100mi on the craft, I've never had a problem landing with the carbon fiber camera guard. However, I never land the craft unless it's flat and free of weeds, tall grass, etc. If not I catch it, in fact I catch my craft over half the time because it's so easy, and I feel it's more safe (for the craft) than landing. Windy conditions, I always hand catch. Rocky?... hand catch. Sandy?.... hand catch.
Yep-- that is my exact setup also-- :) only makes sense-- I have also added the leg risers advertised on this forum to raise the camera another 1/2 inch off the ground and spread the landing points slightly for more stability. They are also provide more of a cushion for hard landing impacts if that occurred.
IMG_0156.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 321
Yep-- that is my exact setup also-- :) only makes sense-- I have also added the leg risers advertised on this forum to raise the camera another 1/2 inch off the ground and spread the landing points slightly for more stability. They are also provide more of a cushion for hard landing impacts if that occurred.
View attachment 35696
Hi, Could you please let me know where did you get the leg risers? They look good.

I have this setup as well. eBay for the gimbal saver
Gimbal Crash Protector Ribbon Cable Saver For DJI Phantom 3 Pro Advanced CNC Alu and an eBay carbon fiber gimbal guard with dji logo from eBay. I figure a few bucks for a bit of insurance is a good investment. I also used some fishing line and tied out the gimbal bushings. Seemed like a good idea and it helps build ownership pride [emoji1]

Mark.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik