gimbal power requirements and flight times

Reaction score
I flew my p2 with a gimbal for first time today with 250mw video tx and the Möbius for flight cam, worked well, but by the time my p2 battery hit 25%, my p2 started to slowly descend even with full throttle! :(

it is much heavier, but this flight time is so much less with the gimbal. Its also slower. Is this typical?

Is it fighting for amerage with the motors?

Should I have another separate battery for just the gimbal and video tx? Any suggestions would be amazing!

It's the extra weight. The power draw from the gimbal controller and motors is negligible.

Many people underestimate the impact that a few grams has on flight time. How heavy is your gimbal (did you weigh it?). If it's 260g with camera, and draws no power at all, it will still fly 4.5 to 5 minutes less (figure ~1 second less flight time for every gram added).

There is almost no situation where running an extra battery will result in more, or even the same flight time. It will always be significantly less than powering from your flight battery.

Exactly what I needed to know! Very informative.

Are there lighter frames that can be used instead of p2 frame? I love the frame, just curious.
Time to get out the drill??? Haha

The p2 is actually a very efficient platform. The shell is very lightweight yet allows the wingspan to be compact and provides good protected assembly space for components and battery.

I've done a ton of lightening on the phantom, and others have gone to even more extreme lengths. You can save ~150g or so without sacrificing function, but it involves varying degrees of surgery. Others go over the top (IMO) by removing screws, drilling holes in the shell, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic