gimbal moving cam by itself...

Reaction score
have flown about 6 times on a brand new phantom 2/h3-3d/hero 4 black. just brought it out today and cam keeps flipping up and down by itself without me moving it. it will be straight then all the sudden point straight down. then move back up. keeps doing it over and over. any thoughts? TIA

I have the exact same problem with P2 H3-3D and GP4 silver. Only had it since Christmas and since first flight it has always done this and so it is currently sitting back in its box waiting to be collected by my dealer! :(

I did see a video last night of someone having the same problem and they got over the 'twitching' by adding coins to the gimbal and camera to balance it, which I cannot say is something I would want to do myself as a solution for an item that's cost over £1000!

well i took off the nd filter and all the coins except one penny and that fixed the problem. but its weird that i flew it several times with the filter and all the coins for balance with no problem. though now my issue is wobble in the video with no nd filter but im gonna make another post on that

coonasty said:
well i took off the nd filter and all the coins except one penny and that fixed the problem. but its weird that i flew it several times with the filter and all the coins for balance with no problem. though now my issue is wobble in the video with no nd filter but im gonna make another post on that

When the phantom is off, what's the gimbal with the gopro + ND filter like? Does it have neutral balance? Ie, does it flop to one side? The gimbal should be able to sit still. Though mine is the GP3+ BE + ND filter (and not the 4), I used a Velcro coin that I can move around to find balance. When it has neutral balance, I can move the gimbal and let go and it wont go lop sided.

You need to remember, the more balanced, the less stressed.

Final solution would be to run the gopro without a battery and get power straight from the side port USB. Just make sure you finalise the video before powering off the phantom.

if i have the nose facing me with the cam pointing at me, phantom is off and with the polar pro nd filter on it...it completely falls forward and to the right. its takes 2 quarters and a penny on the back to keep it from falling forward. then it takes 2 quarters and a nickel on the left side to hold its balance. with this setup the motors did some screeching but it seemed to work. flew fine for those first 6 times or so then all the sudden take off and it wont hold cam in position. keeps automatically pointing the cam down then straight forward then back to where i had it set at. would do this every 30 secs or so.

so to remedy the situation i took the nd filter off, all the coins except a penny on the left side and that made it work fine again. but now i have wobble in my shots without the nd filter on it. i actually made a post in the phantom 2 section asking if there were more powerful gimbals to invest in so i could use the nd filter again. im worried that i screwed up the gimbal though flying it with all those coins on it.

Leave the ND filter on and leave 1 penny on the motor side to keep the roll balanced.
Don't worry about the camera falling fwd. Let the camera flop down. The tilt motor doesn't get overworked compared to the
roll motor.

What I normally do is power up the phantom and hold it in front of me and tilt it on all its axis and see which angle is causing it to go limp..
makes sense?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31